Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Dudgeon
United Kingdom
Stewarton, Scotland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed a win! After five attempts an early win (stage 2) as Canaris gassed Hitler in the Chancellery in my solitaire game. In all seriousness, I know that the stars were all in alignment; low military support for Hitler, items all turning up in the right places, and a series of great die rolls!

However I was wondering if it is worthwhile spending the early turns concentrating in revealing as many items as possible, and not picking up many cards or items. I found this nullified many of the effects of finding myself next to deputies, and waiting until my motivation was up until I went for cards/items. After all, it's not as if you can do much with the cards and items until you have some motivation. Any thoughts?

Congratulations to all involved in the production of this game, which is , INHO, superb. Also delivered over the pond very efficiently; another reason I'm smug is that I was billed before the post brexit collapse in the £!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 6 solo games and only won one. Ironically that was in the first stage when Hitler's support was low, and, as you say, everything just seemed to come together. It seems like you either need to get a quick win or go in for the long hall and try to execute the plot in Stage 6 or 7, because in the mid-game Hitler's support is just too high.

The game is certainly challenging, sometimes to the point of frustration. I think one of the key strategies is to have a thorough understanding of the cards in each stage and avoid moving to the high risk areas. For example, Zeughas is the high risk spot in Stage 1. So I would not move there before the "Parade in Berlin" event is played. Of course it might not come out.

In the game I won, Erich Kordt was in play. His special ability is to re-order the top 3 events. I think this is one of the most valuable, if not the best, of the special abilities. Knowing when the "Berlin Speech" event would come out was the key to the quick win. Getting both conspirators to the Sportoblast when Hitler's support would be lowest and dice rolls would be maximized enabled the win. I also had the "Officer Recruited" card, the most valuable card, IMO. Too bad there is only one in the deck!

I will say the challenge keeps me coming back for more punishment. Even though I am not a big fan of co-op games it works well for this theme. The game does a great job of creating a conspiratorial atmosphere. I have only played at standard difficulty and am having trouble even conceiving of playing the game on a more difficult level. It certainly illustrates that a successful plot to kill Hitler would have been an extraordinary event indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple days ago I posted a "Strategy Aid" which has not yet been approved for posting, but I'm sure it will be. So I can't provide a link but of course it will be under "Files".

As always with this game there is a lot of luck, but for what it's worth the first game I played using my aid I won. So I now have 2 wins in 8 solo plays. A good co-op game should be challenging and not so easy to win that you beat it nearly every time. The benchmark seems to be that you should be able to win one in every 3 or 4 games. So I am at an average win of 1 for 4, and hope to improve upon that.

Here are the strategy tips that I think will help. I apologize for those that are obvious.

1. Don't get arrested. Not only does it risk loss, it takes time away from gathering items. Keep suspicion low, but not at the expense of discarding valuable items.

2. Avoid moving to risky locations.

3. Focus on plots that can give you a base roll of 6+ dice. (I believe Kidnapping is the only plot where you can get a base greater than 6. If you have a Wehrmacht conspirator with the Concealed Pistol, your base is 7. With General Beck, your base can actually be 8!) The plots that give you only 3-4 base dice are really hard to succeed with unless you are very lucky.

4. Don't pick up any items early. Just focus on revealing them until you have a good plot where you will be able to achieve a base of at least 6 dice. Then you can work on gathering the necessary items.

5. If at all possible avoid delivering items to lower suspicion, unless you're sure its an item you won't need for a plot.

6. Gather all the cards possible to improve your chances of success in a plot such as "Officer Recruited", re-rolls, etc. Use the "Safe" card or Gisevius if in play to be a "mule" for the Restricted cards. Going through the Conspirator deck as fast as possible is helpful. A good strategy is to take a Conspire action and use any extra actions you roll to draw cards.

7. Sense the best time to strike. This is usually when you have been able to lower Hitler's support. Optimal times seem to be after the "Berlin Speech" for a quick Stage 1 victory if very lucky, after "Stalingrad Surrounded" (Stage 6) or "Operation Overlord" (Stage 7). Of course these cards may not appear and waiting until Stage 7 is obviously very risky.

The Strategy Aid I posted highlights the riskiest areas to move to in each stage, lists the items necessary for what I consider to be the better plots, and lists the cards and distribution of those that will add dice or help with rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.