Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: lock_him_up [+] [View All]
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the weekend, Donald Trump filed a motion to continue the fraud trial against Trump University because he needs to focus on the challenging task of the transition. He also wants his testimony on videotape instead of before a live jury.

Strange that he thinks preparing for the transition is more difficult than executing the actual job duties which immediately follow. Also somewhat ironic that he argued the mere "investigation" of Clinton would disqualify her when his own fraud trial is already distracting him.

You chose to run for the presidency while the fraud case was pending Donald. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. Until inauguration day, you are just a citizen and theres little reason to delay the rights of the plaintiffs to their day in court.

As to the videotaping, it's a dandy idea if you want your lawyers to have a chance to file motions and objections to any part of the testimony before the jury gets to see you actually giving such testimony. Hope he takes the stand just like the unprivileged people who voted for him would have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
He probably thinks he can disappear the suit once he's in president (although I looked it up, presidential immunity shouldn't apply), and being Trump, he only ever says the excuse he thinks will work in the immediate case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know there's a difference between defending against a civil law suit and being investigated for federal crimes, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, Obama may be able to blanket pardon Hillary on the federal crimes but he can't pardon her for civil lawsuits, state crimes, and international crimes related to the Clinton foundation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
BTW, Obama may be able to blanket pardon Hillary on the federal crimes but he can't pardon her for civil lawsuits, state crimes, and international crimes related to the Clinton foundation.

Noting that one of these things actually came to court, and the other is just a huge morass of innuendo and politically motivated 'investigations' that end up with no charges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
windsagio wrote:
ironcates wrote:

Noting that one of these things actually came to court, and the other is just a huge morass of innuendo and politically motivated 'investigations' that end up with no charges.

Won't make any difference to you, but she has been to court for years over this stuff which you are able to shrug off as simple incompetence, and others view as felonies. Also note the Clinton foundation is still under federal investigation.

But any way, do a google news search on judicial watch. Clinton and the state dept. are fighting tooth and nail against foia requests. Doesn't get much press because the truth hurts her, you probably didn't know this.

Even so, it won't matter to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
It's going to settle anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
It's going to settle anyway.

Certainly the judge is urging that course.

Trumps attorney has agreed to discuss it with him. However, settlement of a civil suit often creates the impression, in some peoples minds, that the cause was justified. Certainly, when the Paula Jones case got settled many people assumed Clinton must have been at fault. Trump has a reputation to protect and he has assured us that he NEVER settles cases.

I'm rather curious to see what he does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump should settle right now rather than dragging it out. Easy enough to bury now under wall announcements and the like too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
You know there's a difference between defending against a civil law suit and being investigated for federal crimes, right?

Why yes. While earning my law degree we did seem to discuses some of the more subtle distinctions. Being investigated has little to no relevance absent an indictment. Defending yourself in a civil fraud trial doesn't mean much more although you will need to have passed any motions of demurrer which means a valid case has been stated with allegation of at least minimal core facts.

Is there some other difference upon which you cogitated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
sbszine wrote:
Trump should settle right now rather than dragging it out. Easy enough to bury now under wall announcements and the like too.

He'll probably win the case.

False advertising? Fraud? Could be true, but that's a tough one to win.

Example: imagine suing the Clinton Foundation for fraud. It's probably true. Certainly looks like some donor could make that claim given Chelsea's lavish lifestyle from foundation money. He ain't going to win, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to lose the case to lose the PR battle. See Clinton and the FBI for details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's update. Trump agrees to settle his fraud suit for $25,000,000 thus ending the trial over whether Trump U defrauded students. What's it mean?

To those of us who despise Trump, the temptation is to see this as a tacit admission that Trump and/or his surrogates did engage in fraud. $25,000,000 ain't chump change. Moreover, part of the settlement appears intended to pay a penalty for violating New York education standards. It's even more tempting to call out Trump as a hypocrite for his defiant claim to "never" settle lawsuits against him.

However, as a member of the legal profession, I'll play Devil's Advocate. As the newly elected President, Trump would surely be distracted by having to testify as part of the trial. The media would have picked up on all the most salacious accusations so there is a legitimate impetus by Trump top shut this down (it may even be a face saving excuse).

More importantly, a trial is expensive, time consuming and risky. The settlement may seem large but, attorney fees would have been quite high as well and would be combined with the risk of an undesirable outcome in the hands of a potentially unpredictable jury.

At the very least, the settlement will likely work to the detriment of the Trump brand just as the recent removal of the Trump name from several apartment buildings in New York.

As much as I dislike Trump it seems preferable not to have the administration dealing with this. No doubt there will be plenty of other controversies to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
What was the amount they 'desired' initially, since this is much more of lesser than that is. TRUMP "chump/change/cheat" now, yet again. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
25 million to keep the keys to the kingdom's treasury? Bargain - I expect him to have increased your national debt by at least 1 trillion by the time his possible 8 year span is up.

He\ his family will have taken 10 x times that 25 million out of his building \ contracting services for the wall alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
growlley wrote:
25 million to keep the keys to the kingdom's treasury? Bargain - I expect him to have increased your national debt by at least 1 trillion by the time his possible 8 year span is up.

He\ his family will have taken 10 x times that 25 million out of his building \ contracting services for the wall alone.

You should look into this.

You definitely have a case against your alma mater. This could a big suit.

Assuming you aren't in middle school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Today's update. Trump agrees to settle his fraud suit for $25,000,000 thus ending the trial over whether Trump U defrauded students. What's it mean?

It means that all Americans, not just republicans, should be very proud of their new leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bird
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
What was the amount they 'desired' initially, since this is much more of lesser than that is. TRUMP "chump/change/cheat" now, yet again. shake

$40 million - they settled for 62.5% of what they sought, which is pretty good as settlements go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

It means that all Americans, not just republicans, should be very proud of their new leader.

Proud to have a leader sued for fraud? My how the bar has been lowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

Only one trillion? Hell, if we could get a president in the White House who would only increase the US debt by one trillion dollars every eight years I would happily agree to suspend the Constitution and make that person the ruling monarch for life. You're right though. This was a no-brainer, bargain decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I will win the Trump University case. I already am, as far as I;m concerned"

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

Deficit estimates on his tax plan are 10 to 12 trillion. Then on top of that he plans several large spending programs.

Oth, it sounds like he plans to cut medicare for most seniors which would save a lot of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Trump hotel in DC already holding events to sell itself to foreign diplomats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/2016...

“Why wouldn’t I stay at his hotel blocks from the White House, so I can tell the new president, ‘I love your new hotel!’ Isn’t it rude to come to his city and say, ‘I am staying at your competitor?’ ” said one Asian diplomat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.