9 Posts

...and then, we held hands.» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Straight to the point review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ja Ardashir
msg tools
mbmb
First of all, the game itself is a 2 player game but it oddly feels like one of those old solitaire card games. It is a puzzle game in every meaning of the term and not much else.

1. The theme doesn't matter
The theme is a relationship between two people and the emotions they are going through. Though the theme falls really flat - the color-coded emotion cards bring out no actual emotions in the players (and the game mechanics don't help with that). You might as well exchange the game cards for Magic The Gathering cards of the same color and the game would not lose any of its theme. shake

2. Cooperation and strategy matter just a little
The game has a rule preventing the players from talking about the game or discussing strategy. Not as this matters that much - the game in the end is simple and often goes down to remembering which cards people hold and what's on the side you can't currently see. You don't need advanced cooperation here because its basic - nobody is going to plan the whole Barbarossa operation or anything of that sort here.

3. Components & Graphics - nothing to write home about
Title says it all. The card graphics are bland and uninspiring. The box art is probably the best thing about the game.. soblue

4. The game is simply boring
The theme doesn't keep you entertained or involved. The game mechanics will not bring out nail-biting suspense or drama. You will never walk away from this game with any sort of memorable moments you will want to discuss with other gamers. thumbsdown

Final conclusion - 0 out of 6 stars.
That's it, I did not like the game and the people playing it with me didn't like it either. There's nothing good that can be said about it, it was simply a waste of time. Nothing memorable or fun comes from this game. We will not be playing this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
This might be one of the worst 'reviews' Ive read here on BGG.

Why isn't this a session report? Or a comment? There's nothing useful here to anyone looking at this game. Just a short rumbling whine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Katuska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:

Why isn't this a session report? Or a comment? There's nothing useful here to anyone looking at this game. Just a short rumbling whine.

Agreed. I'm fine with negative reviews, but this tells me absolutely nothing about the game, which might otherwise provide some context for the opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are movie reviews about telling you all about the movie? No, they focus on result and produce an opinion. This one, even though very harsh, is no different. He didn't like it and provided few points on why. That's perfectly fine.

FWIW I don't think the game is (that) terrible, but it isn't particularly decent either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave it a thumbs up, even though I liked the game a little better than the reviewer did, because it was a perfectly legitimate review. It was harsh, but he explained why he didn't like it.

I think most of his points were valid. I happen to like abstract games so I find this one to be okay to pull out now and then, but it's true, it's just an abstract cooperative puzzle game with almost no theme and not much in the way of strategy. If that doesn't appeal to you, this game won't either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Are movie reviews about telling you all about the movie? No, they focus on result and produce an opinion. This one, even though very harsh, is no different. He didn't like it and provided few points on why. That's perfectly fine.

FWIW I don't think the game is (that) terrible, but it isn't particularly decent either.

Movie reviews will at least tell you what they think about the plot devices, characterisation, acting etc. This doesn't tell me anything about the game, just vague feelings of being bored, but no mention of why or any attempt to explain their reaction beyond the most mundane.

I don't particularly like the game either, but a review should have a bare minimum effort to explain why. This is just a status update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Movie reviews will at least tell you what they think about the plot devices, characterisation, acting etc. This doesn't tell me anything about the game

It doesn't have to. You have other reviews for that, if you want this kind of information. This one just assumes that you already know what the game is about and how it plays. Did you miss the title of this review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:

It's a harsh review true but I still think it's a valid review. He explained what he didn't like in several categories. It certainly didn't read like a session report to me.

It's a review. Perhaps not the review you wanted, but a review none the less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Totally valid review, and of course I'll say it's accurate because I agree with it. The one thing this game has going for it is an amazing title. Beyond that, it was a disappointment in every way. I bought it as an anniversary gift so we tried extra hard to give it a chance but at the end of every game we're still left with a feeling of "that's it?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.