Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
We're all individuals
Canada
flag msg tools
We play to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there
I was trying to decide which of these to put down on Xmas wishlist :-)

What is a reasonable estimate of game length? It says 45 minutes to 180 minutes - which is a rather broad estimate

Any advice much appreciated
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, technically, RAW, you have a 4-minute limit per turn (times 32), so even taking max time per turn, should come in just over 2 hours whistle .

Usually get a game done in 60-90 minutes, but then again, have been playing since the mid-90s, so I guess I have some experience with how the game flows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To the OP,

Go with Blood Bowl and never look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood bowl has, and is going to have an even bigger, player base, and has been loved for decades. I think it will offer you significantly more, and better gameplay over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Op,

Let me blow my comment out a bit more.

I have the original L/P, and love it, it can be a very fast game, you die as the Space Marine player quickly! But it's loads of fun, for me. I have every version of BB and most of the teams.

I like BB mainly because it can played as fast or as long as you like, each round is timed, or you and the other player can just go and play.

Bloodbowl can be played fast, furious, tactically, or tongue and cheek.

I have personally not had so many laughs and fun with any other game I've played so far.

When in doubt, get both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Blood Bowl, pass on Lost Patrol.

Lost Patrol's most recent edition is fun, but you have to tweak the game. It is not a game that you will want to play again and again and again. It is a quick 10-15 minute filler game with few interesting decisions - you can houserule it to make it more interesting.

Blood Bowl on the other hand should have much more in the way of tactical decision-making, tons of replayability, and additional content to add to your game coming down the pipeline, if you are so inclined. I don't know from first-hand experience, but I have heard that Blood Bowl played according to the season-long campaigns is really the way to go -- with player injuries, purchasing players, and an on-running set of season stats culminating in the Blood Bowl.

I don't think there's even a close call, here, if you have to pick just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Why not Gorechosen instead of Lost Patrol?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Playtime REALLY depends on how you and your opponent plays, on wether you force turnovers (Especially when forgetting to move the turn marker) and force the 4 minute limit.

But Bloodbowl is soooo enjoyable, so who cares if it takes 4 hours... (It does happen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Talbert
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BLOOD BOWL!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We're all individuals
Canada
flag msg tools
We play to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
My reason for asking about time is based upon our "Game Group" as I usually play with my spouse or 10 year old. An hour seems the sweet spot for us
Thanks for all the great replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Corcaigh wrote:
My reason for asking about time is based upon our "Game Group" as I usually play with my spouse or 10 year old. An hour seems the sweet spot for us

I can't remember ever having played a game of Blood Bowl in less than 1,5 hours... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
mbmbmb
It looks like they have clearly separated the basic rules from the advanced (optional) which is a great idea. If the duration is a concern, just opt out of the kick off rules. You'll save roughly 15 minutes per game from that alone.

This is a tough community to get a realistic answer. Most folks will tell you 90 minutes for their games, what they don't tell you is that they've been playing TT and on-line for 20+ years. Realistically, if you abandon the kick off rules 90 minutes is probably your best case scenario.

If you play only the basic rules you can probably get down to an hour, though it's a bit like having a Ritz cracker and no cheese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl without a timer, with inexperienced players, can easily last 3 hours. I play quickly, and prefer to use a timer, but every time I've played Blood Bowl with new and new-ish players the game has ended up taking way too long. This is with a dozen or so different people, including some experienced gamers who are usually fast. Even if I use a timer it feels unfair on the slower player, so it ends up being a reminder and a justification for forcing final decisions at the 4 minute mark rather than a forced turnover.

Even though Blood Bowl is a great game, and Lost Patrol is a bit rubbish, I'd have a hard time recommending Blood Bowl to someone looking for a sub 1 hour game for casual play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello, my baby; hello, my honey;
badge
Hello, my ragtime gal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Even though Blood Bowl is a great game, and Lost Patrol is a bit rubbish, I'd have a hard time recommending Blood Bowl to someone looking for a sub 1 hour game for casual play.

I agree. To get the game even to 2 hours means that both players gotta mean business, and play with a lot of focus, which can make it harder to revel in the silliness and chaos that make Blood Bowl great for the casual player. I don't necessarily mind a longer game, but I haven't played anyone really slow in a long time, so maybe it would make me crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Corcaigh wrote:

For what it's worth - I own the new edition of Lost Patrol (and am going to get Blood Bowl too, because GW are draining my wallet), but you should know that Games Workshop made a very deliberate choice with the new release of Lost Patrol: they decided to make it as difficult as possible for the Space Marine player.

I'm not going to say whether that was a good choice or not, but they decided that the reputation the first edition of Lost Patrol had for being challenging for the Space Marines was the game's key feature, and then they ramped that up to 11.

To give you an idea of how one-sided they made the game...I've got the White Dwarf from when the new edition was released, and the White Dwarf folks wrote that they played 70 games of Lost Patrol, and the Space Marines lost every single one. (This was being pitched as a fun thing by the magazine...)

So, to cut a long story short...I don't know if a game which a team of adults couldn't win, even after 70 tries, is going to be the best game for creating fond family memories. A tongue-in-cheek game about sport though, might just be the thing for that. ;-)

(And if Blood Bowl's play length's a concern, try playing 2 halves of 4 turns, instead of the full 8 turns per half.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Kalisz
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BB is 30 years old, and people will throw their money on GW (which lot of people hate) to get new edition. Lost what did you say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We're all individuals
Canada
flag msg tools
We play to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked it up today - thanks for all the advice and comments.
Sadly it will remain in the shrink wrap until Xmas - it is in the house and I know where it is but am not allowed to open it until the 25th grrrr
I will be getting some paint as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
Balerion84 wrote:
Why not Gorechosen instead of Lost Patrol?

This! Get Blood Bowl, and then get Gorechosen. It's a great fast fun bloody game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.