BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Island-based worker placement w/random map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Ives
msg tools
mbmb
Hey all,
just started working off a simple idea of having a worker placement game where you start on a base island and can sail out to explore new hexes where there's some semi-predictable resources to be retrieved/built and brought back to the mainland. Wanted to have a random maps so when u sail out u don't know what's there, but not too much luck.

A couple quick questions:
1. Is there another game that's basically this concept? I see Oracle of Delphi looks somewhat similar but more of a point-salad game than discovering worker placement tiles.

2. How to balance luck in the game w/exploration? In other words, if u have a chance to discover an island w/resources it could be too luck heavy if based on a tile draw, there's nothing to find.

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Robinson Crusoe, a co-op with explorqation elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Explorers of the North Sea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fjords

Rahdo, did a run through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently tried Archipelago.
It seems to do exactly what you require: it's a worker placement game where you go out and explore the world to expand the colony.

The luck of drawing tiles is greatly reduced there because you can see one side of the tile on top of the draw pile and each tile is 2-sided. When drawing you are allowed to skip the first tile and check the 2nd tile instead and then you still have 2 sides to choose from.
Also, each tile has 5 resources on them, so you never really get screwed.

It's probably heavier game than what you are looking for but definitely worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, my very own, Free PNP Game Haze Islands

Though the worker placement is not such a strong element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ives
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I've played none of these.

Wasn't quite imagining a tile-laying game like Fjords or Explorers, but they both look cool.

I guess having players lay the tiles controls for randomness a bit rather than a map that may or may not yield as much when u explore.

thx for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
There are essentially two ways to mitigate luck:
- Draw several tiles and allow the player to pick one (ie, give them more chances to succeed)
- Design it so that there are no "bad" tiles, just tiles with a different benefit than the one you want right now.

Given the exploration theme, option two is probably better.

- Resource-rich tiles might have hostile natives or be difficult to cultivate.
- A player may have to choose between several uses for a tile (farming, building, mining, etc). A tile with resources on it would provide more options, but it would not provide straight-up "more" stuff than a non-resource tile.
- If some tiles are purely ocean, they could allow the player to build a harbor or establish trade routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.