$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 125.47

7,470 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mission 2: Escalation 2 (2 Player question) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Frank
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Since this is Mission/Escalation Specific and you aren't here yet spoilers ahead you have been warned.

So my wife and I are playing through mission 2 and we finally picked up the second crystal. We hadn't been looking ahead at the escalations so when we saw that minions were now all of a sudden moving 2 spaces instead of one we both realized we lost (On hard mode, will still play out ez mode with 2 ticks I guess). What ended up happening was that we had a minion on the bottom left side 2 away from the school and my wife was always clearing them when they came within one.

How do you guys work with this with only 2 players? It seems so hard to manage a minion when it gets 2 away on the bottom sides.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tokyo0709 wrote:
How do you guys work with this with only 2 players? It seems so hard to manage a minion when it gets 2 away on the bottom sides.


The easiest approach is to not grab the crystals right away and pick off the minions until your mechs get more powerful.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tokyo0709 wrote:
Since this is Mission/Escalation Specific and you aren't here yet spoilers ahead you have been warned.

So my wife and I are playing through mission 2 and we finally picked up the second crystal. We hadn't been looking ahead at the escalations so when we saw that minions were now all of a sudden moving 2 spaces instead of one we both realized we lost (On hard mode, will still play out ez mode with 2 ticks I guess). What ended up happening was that we had a minion on the bottom left side 2 away from the school and my wife was always clearing them when they came within one.

How do you guys work with this with only 2 players? It seems so hard to manage a minion when it gets 2 away on the bottom sides.


The minions move 2 ONLY on the outer tiles, they still move only 1 on the School Tile.

Note: The Minions still only can move one space on the center tile as they approach the School!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skritter wrote:
The minions move 2 ONLY on the outer tiles, they still move only 1 on the School Tile.


Yeah, but the minions he's talking about enter the school directly from the side tiles. They never move on the school tile at all, because they are already in the school.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard vd Watt
Canada
Lethbridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure whether this is related, but once the range board's minions move two at a time, do they still move two spaces if their next square would be onto the center board? This confused us as they essentially moved two in the center board upon entering it (which made it hard to be there in time to stop them)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raptore39 wrote:
Not sure whether this is related, but once the range board's minions move two at a time, do they still move two spaces if their next square would be onto the center board?


Yes. It's clear in the rules. They move a second time if they are still on the side board to move, regardless of where that move would take them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
tokyo0709 wrote:
How do you guys work with this with only 2 players? It seems so hard to manage a minion when it gets 2 away on the bottom sides.


The easiest approach is to not grab the crystals right away and pick off the minions until your mechs get more powerful.

This.

Plus, we read the Escalations ahead of time...which is what rules tell you to do. So that helped us prepare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
tokyo0709 wrote:

How do you guys work with this with only 2 players? It seems so hard to manage a minion when it gets 2 away on the bottom sides.


Hey tokyo! Mission 2 is one of the missions where 2p and 4p difficulty is at it's closest. The biggest risk on this mission is the two bottom rows which as you have discovered can sneak in the back door before you realise.

There are many ways to tackle it... as some people have suggested you can hold back untill your mechs are all powerful but this always find a bit like grinding to me.

I'd consider a few things:

1. do not underestimate the power of a level 3 cyclotron on this mission. With it one person can stand towards the front of the school defending, while still being able to catch the pesky guys down the sides at their diagonal.

2. Having a level 3 fuel tank on board when you are overwhelmed/ picking up crystal 3 can change the game...

3. with 2p great teamwork is key! My wife and I launched into a sort of swing: I would defend while she got crystal, then once she was on her way back I'd set off for the next. This way there was always someone defending and someone collecting.

4. Any minion in the bottom lane is a threat no matter how far away... must be killed asap.

I don't think you need to switch to Ez-mode. most people fail this mission 1st attempt. I think you'll be able to do it quicker than you think!

Hope this helps!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.