Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scenario 1 mentions be in the hall way
but
scenario 2 just has spend tokens as group so does it matter if we are split in different locations?

we played we need to be together.. but i doubt it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
The default rules (as per Our Friend the Rules Reference, which you should treat with kindness and read now and then to get used to the rules) for any scenario is that the investigators do not have to be in the same location to spend their clues to advance the Act, but such spending must be done during the Investigator Phase (as a free action).

Some Agendas/Acts limit this, such as Act 2a in The Gathering, which requires the investigators to not only be in The Hallway, but to spend it at the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Gaffa wrote:
but such spending must be done during the Investigator Phase (as a free action).

My reading is that it can be done as a free action during any player window, not just those in the investigation phase. Why do you think it is limited to the investigation phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Because the Rules Reference tells you on page 7 it must be “during any investigator’s turn.”

Doubt not the mighty Gaffa for he knows whereof he speaks.

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Gaffa wrote:
The default rules (as per Our Friend the Rules Reference, which you should treat with kindness and read now and then to get used to the rules) for any scenario is that the investigators do not have to be in the same location to spend their clues to advance the Act, but such spending must be done during the Investigator Phase (as a free action).

Well I'll be. I definitely had the 'investigator phase only' requirement filed away incorrectly in my mind. I had absolutely put it into memory as a typical [lightning symbol] action that could be used in any of the free trigger windows. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I have a tangential question, but it's a little desperate perhaps and I am pretty sure I know the answer and I don't think it's worth a new thread:

*** Spoilers for the final Act card in Scenario 3! ***
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I'm not even sure why I'm asking this, ha.
The *cost* here to initiate the skill check. That 'spending' of a clue would be a personal cost, correct? Wendy and Roland are at the Ritual Site, Roland has a bunch of clues from taking out enemies, but Wendy has better stats. She cannot 'spend a clue as a group' to initiate the skill check, right? I feel pretty certain that the 'spend as a group' aspect of Act cards is specifically to advance it, which strictly speaking this is not. This is just a cost in a prerequisite 'cost:effect' ability I think.

What say you? In that sitation, is Roland limited to spending his own private stash of clues to trigger his skill checks, with Wendy using hers for hers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Clues
- If an investigator discovers a clue, he or she takes the clue from the location and places it on his or her investigator card, under his or her control.

Each investigator has his own pool of clues, just like he has his own pool of resources, and his own hand of cards.

One investigator spends an action to use an ability on that agenda card. That same investigator has to pay all posts, pass skill tests, and resolve effects.

Just as if an ability that says: "[Action] Spend 2 resource: Draw 2 cards." would require that one investigator to pay 2 resources from his own pool, so does the same applies to clues.

The rule that allows investigators to spend clues 'as a group' is an exception to this general rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Because the Rules Reference tells you on page 7 it must be “during any investigator’s turn.”

That extra bit was left out of the similar description on page 3 under the act and agenda decks section. That is probably a more natural place to look up the rule for advancing the act, than looking under clues where the extra bit is included. So this is something easy to miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.