Subject: Any advice for buying a new game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaie* Tessen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
new user
Hi,

My partner and I are board game enthusiasts and I want to buy him a new game for Xmas but it's really hard to choose something good as our tastes seem to sometimes vary from the games that win awards (even Spiel des Jahres or Kennerspiel des Jahres et al) and since they're quite expensive I want to get something re-playable. I'd like it to be 2 player + as we also have board game nights with friends

We love games that are low on luck (e.g. prefer non-dice reliant games) and high on strategy. whistle

Games we love: kiss
- La Citta
- Suburbia
- Power Grid
- Puerto Rico
- Sheriff of Nottingham

In these games we love the fact the players interact with each other - little down time with nothing to do, plus high strategy so the winner is often not obvious - close games.

Games that we enjoy but play rarely:
- Race to the Galaxy
- 7 Wonders
- Ticket to ride
- Pandemic
- Settlers of Catan
- The Mall
- Chess

These are OK but some reason they just don't quite hit the spot so they don't get played over and over.

Games that disappointed: shake
- Arctic scavenger
- Village
- Agricola
- Carcassonne

These were just too cumbersome with HUGE amounts of set up, and boring to play.

Games I/we hate: yuk
- Alhambra
- Royal Palace
- Outrage

Yuck. Alhambra is horrible because gah the wall building does me in, I ALWAYS LOSE *laughs*.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some classics, that should be up your alley.

Agricola or Caverna: The Cave Farmers
Caylus
Trajan

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems you have a very similar taste to mine, so I'll challenge you a little with a game with dice

Grand Austria Hotel

The dice are rolled and put pooled together in groups that match the actions you can do. So they basically limit and change the number of actions that are available each round, and also how powerfull they are. The more dice in a pool, the more powerful the action is.

Each time a player choses an action, they also remove a die from that pool, making that action less powerfull for the other players. It makes a very interesting chioce each turn.

The most fun part of the game though, is the combo's you get to do with those actions. You get sooo much stuff done is this game - very satisfying! - especially when you have the whole sequence in your head and it all adds up when you do them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaie* Tessen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks, Mads Fløe... Currently tossing up between:

- Castles of Burgundy

- Grand Austria Hotel

If anyone has both and willing to tell me which they liked better and why, I would be grateful

Does Grand Austria Hotel play a bit like Arctic Scavengers though?

X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
My gf and I have really enjoyed Orléans.
It also has a great co-op expansion, if that's your thing.
Otherwise you could checkout Rahdo's youtube channel, he is a euro 2-player focused reviewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madster321 wrote:
It seems you have a very similar taste to mine, so I'll challenge you a little with a game with dice

Heh. I was also thinking about posting a list of games with dice, that work really well...

i.e.

Troyes
Signorie
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Grand Austria Hotel

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Black_Lotus wrote:

- Castles of Burgundy

- Grand Austria Hotel

If anyone has both and willing to tell me which they liked better and why, I would be grateful

X
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game is almost identical in feel to the original, but with no dice, it's much smaller, and cheaper; so that might be a good way to go. Might be able to swing both games that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
Detroit metro area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black_Lotus wrote:

- Castles of Burgundy

- Grand Austria Hotel

X

Rather than relying on others' opinions, have a look at some videos where you can see for yourself how each game plays. Videos have been invaluable to me for deciding which games to buy.

Rahdo Runs Through Castles of Burgundy

Rahdo Runs Through Grand Austria Hotel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerGoble1 wrote:
Black_Lotus wrote:

- Castles of Burgundy

- Grand Austria Hotel

X
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game is almost identical in feel to the original, but with no dice, it's much smaller, and cheaper; so that might be a good way to go. Might be able to swing both games that way.

I just bought Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game and have really enjoyed it. I have never played the original, but I do feel like I scored a full board game for around $10. The box is about the size of a paperback novel, which is a nice side bonus.

Also, if you enjoy chess but don't play it much, Hive Pocket might be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.