Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

1 - 4 players
Ages 8+
10 minutes???

Components ready

To attract a mate, the satin bowerbird constructs a beautiful display, or bower, from the materials it can find. It is especially fond of the colour blue.

Players manipulate a bower--made up of four cards in the centre of the play area--to score points. The bower has two rows of symbols: bottle caps, clothes pegs, and twigs.

Logo by Mark Tuck, check out his games

--

Cards and rules: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7CaUkid9CW1b3hUVnZNWEc0dj...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Bowerbird - 18 card contest
Love the theme.

Once you get the solo rules sorted, I'll give it a play

I see you've added this to the geeklist. Hacko likes all the items listed there to be in exactly the same format - with images of the cards, rules written, titles in bold etc... (so expect a reply from him!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
okay, I've been working on the rules. Total overhaul from what I've posted previously, but they need a lot of tidying. Here are the solo rules. It should be pretty easy to work out the multi-player rules from these.

Solo play:

In the solo mode, you play against the game. The numbers in the top right corner are used for random decision making during the upkeep phase

Shuffle and deal 4 cards in a row to the table, these cards are the bower. While shuffling, make sure to randomly rotate cards 180 degrees.
Deal 2 scoring cards and place to the side, if the two scoring conditions are identical, place the second card randomly back in the deck and draw a new card (repeat until there are two different scoring conditions). The game will score points if these conditions are met during the upkeep phase

Deal yourself a hand of 3 cards

Player’s turn
The player must play cards to perform 1 or 2 actions. These can be performed in any order.
- Perform an action: play the action from one card to manipulate the bower
- Score: play a card with a scoring condition matching the current state of the bower.

Draw cards back to a hand of 3

Upkeep phase
- Draw two cards and perform the actions on both cards. After each action, check the scoring conditions dealt during setup.
- When performing an action, manipulate the card in bower matching the number in the top right corner of the other action card: the first action will be performed on the second card’s number, the second action on the first card’s number. For the move action, swap the positions of cards in the bower for both numbers. If the numbers are the same, then rotate both bower cards.

End of round
When there are fewer than three cards left in the draw pile, discard both game scoring conditions, shuffle the cards and begin a new round. The bower is not discarded.

Actions
- Rotate: Rotate a card in the bower by 180 degrees
Move: Swap the positions of two cards in the bower (keep the same orientation)
- Swap: Exchange one card in your hand with one card in the bower (in any orientation). Upkeep phase: exchange the top card of the draw pile with the specified card in the bower (keep the same orientation)
Special: Choose a card from the discard pile and play it, either as an action, or for scoring. Upkeep phase: I don't know just yet...any suggestions

Scoring
- 4 straight: there are 4 of the same symbol in one line
- 4 zig zag: there are 4 of the same symbol in a zig zag pattern
- No pair: There are no side-by-side pairs of the same symbol
- Bttb: one line has blue symbols on either side, and twigs in both middle positions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And forgot to include a game-end requirement. Hmm, first to 5 might work

[ed]
Oh, and I hope I fixed the bowelbird misreading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vialick wrote:

[ed]

You got me googling 'bowerbird' - fascinating creature!

I do think your logo is a little illegible, with the blue central letters over the blue bird, and the brown leaves behind the wording.

Why not make the logo relate more to the bird's unique courtship behaviour?

I hope you don't mind, but I quickly did this to show my thinking:

Anyway, the game is now on my list for playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:
vialick wrote:

[ed]

You got me googling 'bowerbird' - fascinating creature!

I do think your logo is a little illegible, with the blue central letters over the blue bird, and the brown leaves behind the wording.

Why not make the logo relate more to the bird's unique courtship behaviour?

I hope you don't mind, but I quickly did this to show my thinking:

Anyway, the game is now on my list for playing.

Oooh, your logo is fantastic, much more 'to-the-point'. I'm not particularly good with graphics (the graphics so far have been tracing over photos and then playing around with gradients).

I hope you enjoy the game (and I hope the rules make sense, but I figured it's better to have something out there while I edit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vialick wrote:

Oooh, your logo is fantastic, much more 'to-the-point'.

Glad you like it - feel free to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And now with rules and an awesome new logo (thanks Mark), Bowerbird is components ready.

cards and rules: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7CaUkid9CW1b3hUVnZNWEc0dj...

(I've made a couple of fixes that are in the PDF but not in these pictures)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things:

BTTB -- I want to change this scoring condition, but can't think of a good name. I would go with 'bower' (thematically makes sense) but that would be confusing.

Rules -- They are pretty compact, and I'm worried if they are understandable.

Solo -- Not sure if it's too easy. Originally I had 3 conditions drawn and had the AI score points if they were met at any time (even during your turn). Also, I'm thinking of adding two solo numbers to each card (rather than just one) to avoid having to worry about having the same numbers as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi. In the PDF file, the letter "a" is not showing up in text you have in one of the fonts. The images, above, are fine, but not the PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hi. In the PDF file, the letter "a" is not showing up in text you have in one of the fonts. The images, above, are fine, but not the PDF.

Hmm, I think it wasn't embedding the fonts correctly. I think I've fixed it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks good now. Thanks.

Quick observations: it would help to specify that on set-up we deal the bower cards in a single row? If this is correct, then perhaps you could adjust the win condition diagrams to make it clearer that we are dealing with a single row of cards.

Also, it would be helpful for the card diagram in the rules to label front and back.

Looking forward to playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Looks good now. Thanks.

Quick observations: it would help to specify that on set-up we deal the bower cards in a single row? If this is correct, then perhaps you could adjust the win condition diagrams to make it clearer that we are dealing with a single row of cards.

Also, it would be helpful for the card diagram in the rules to label front and back.

Looking forward to playing!

Great that it's working.

Yes the bower is a single row of cards, I'll try and get some more clarification into the rules (I should be able to squeeze a little bit of space for it).

I just now see what you mean with the scoring conditions, I should be able to fix up the diagrams soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've updated the cards hopefully making things clearer:

- Changed the scoring diagrams
- Added front/back (though I might give them clearer names: bower side/action side perhaps)
- A few little wording fixes.

Should be available from the same link. I will update pictures in the geeklist a bit later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.