5 Posts

Payoff Pitch Baseball» Forums » Variants

Subject: Pitcher Hot Streak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack North
msg tools
mb
(I have posted this in Delphi forums...hope it's not a faux pas to add it here, but I'm looking for feedback...)

Baseball tabletop games usually address Pitcher Fatigue, but I don't recall many that deal with a pitcher who's "got it" or is "on his game." Some days even an average pitcher can be particularly hard to hit. I have been toying with this idea for Payoff Pitch (any suggestions would be welcome):

If a pitcher has gone 6 innings giving up 3 or less hits he adjusts his pitching card to add a "Tough" result for either 5 or 9 (not both) for the rest of that game or until he gives up 3 or more hits in one inning. I chose 6 innings/3 hits arbitrarily (based on a recent game I just played), but it seems about right, I think. I chose the 2d6 roll of 5 or 9 because the odds (3:2) seem about right; good enough to show up occasionally, but not so often that it gives him a ridiculous advantage.

I have not had the situation come up in a game since I devised this house rule (aargh!!) but if any of you have some thoughts, please share. Don't want to make it too complicated...or have I already done so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Christensen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice thing about Payoff Pitch is that it is simple enough that it is easy to modify.

I really like that you are addressing pitchers having it or not having it on any particular day. Your approach is nice that it reinforces success. Replacing one (or more) of the die roll results is a great idea. It does seem to kick in kind of late and will be kind of rare. Perhaps the trigger should be getting six outs in a row or something similar?

It seems another approach would be that the first time a pitcher has a 5 or 9 result, roll a die or draw a card that either says 'normal', 'tough' or 'Patient'. For 'normal' just use the printed results for the game. For 'Tough', replace the printed result with 'Tough' for the rest of the game. Likewise for 'Patient'. Or perhaps the modifier would say 'normal', 'better' or 'worse'. So with a 'better' result, replace 'Patient' with 'In Play', replace 'In Play' with 'Tough' and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mb
I am not sure that any modification should be "for the rest of the game," because in a real life situation a pitcher will seem to have "it" for a while, but then things settle back to their normal range. That's why I suggested that he could lose the modification under certain conditions. The magic only happens occasionally for an average pitcher, and it frequently disappears just as randomly, or when the batters figure out his routine, for example. Or he might get a little self-conscious and nervous when he realizes what he has going.

I think I prefer to let the circumstances of the game determine if a pitcher has "it," rather than a die roll. But you're right, for average pitchers it may not come up very often, if at all. How about after 5 innings, rather than 6? (So the modification will begin in the 6th inning, rather than in the 7th.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Christensen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the in game 'hot streak' that you are going for, I like that you are adding triggers to start and end. As far as game narrative goes, much of this happens normally with luck of the dice. It seems having a larger effect when the 'hot streak' happens would be worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mb
Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do...create a tangible effect from a hot streak. It's true that these streaks sometimes just come up by a series of lucky events; in real games it could be a lucky bounce here, a batter not quite checking a swing there. In tabletop games, it is from lucky rolls of the dice. But in real games these hot streaks have a very real, if temporary, effect on the other players, batters and fielders alike. This is an attempt to force the game recognize a temporary hot streak.

Glad you're intrigued. If you come up with any refinements please share.

I'm trying to come up with something that's not complicated. (For example, my current thought on how to "mark" the pitcher's card temporarily is to turn the card upside down. This would make trying to read results tiresome after a while, but that would be a incentive to keep checking to see if the streak is broken and turn it back rightside up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.