Subject: Deckbuilding Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
(I know there's the Gatherer website, but at least when I try to use it, it keeps erroring out, so I'll ask here while I fight it)

Short question, can anyone suggest some cheapish (Converted Money Cost, not mana cost) red, black, or colorless cards that would let me drop a few extra lands? I'm touching up a Rakdrazi commander deck, and it just plays too slow right now. Any input is appreciated. Best I have right now is just a lot of Eldrazi that force opponent exile from their library, then the Void Winnower (oops, meant Oblivion Sower) giving me all their exiled lands, and like... 2 or 3 artifacts that make mana. Coming in tapped is clearly fine, since I know that makes them cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First question is how many land are you playing?

There are a few artifacts that are ok at getting land, but I don't use them. There are some good mana rocks. I assume you have sol ring. Others I like are Mind Stone, Thran Dynamo...can't remember the name...3 mana makes two colorless comes into play tapped. Worn Powerstone? maybe.

Those would be all I would run. depending on your deck build you should have around 40 mana sources. I tend to start at 42 and adjust accordingly.

Since you are in black instead of land draw I like to use straight card draw you have tons of options. Since card draw will get you more lands that is better anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
Truth be told, this deck is adjusting constantly, so I don't have a set number of how many lands I'm playing. I've put in as many as 40 pure lands, and as few as 27, as many of them as I can duel lands so I can make either color. I hadn't thought of draw though, I'll see what I have that can do that, thanks for the idea. And yes, I have a Sol Ring in here. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
Oh, and since I should probably mention, the non-land mana generation I have currently at my disposal (Though not all in the deck) is:

Pyromancer's Goggles
Dark Ritual
Sol Ring (Because commander hur dur dur)
Meteorite
Vessel of Volatility
Prophetic Prism (mostly just lets me change colorless into color)
Cryptolith Fragment
Bloodstone Cameo

I may have others in my overall collection, but I'm away from my collection for a week, so I only have the cards I threw in a box cause I glanced at them and thought they might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red does have its rituals for short term extra mana generation:

Pyretic Ritual
Desperate Ritual
Seething Song
Geosurge

...should all be pretty easy on the wallet. But in Rakdos colors, mana rocks are probably the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, artifacts are the way to go for mana generation for your colors. Without Green there really isn't anything that will let you "drop extra lands."

https://edhrec.com/commanders/br/

This site is great, but keep in mind that it aggregates decklists that might be very tuned and possibly expensive in the end. Top half of page are popular commanders and you can click on them for decklists for that strategy. The bottom half are commonly used cards in that color pair. As you see, artifacts are really the best option to ramp. Sol Ring, Signet, Talisman, Darksteel Ingot, Sphere, Solemn, Hart...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Burnished Hart is one card you should be looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions. I've added them to an Amazon list so I can try to pick them up over time (BTW, Bing rewards can be cashed out for amazon money, meaning free cards. lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Solemn Simulacrum too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcNeoMasato wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I've added them to an Amazon list so I can try to pick them up over time (BTW, Bing rewards can be cashed out for amazon money, meaning free cards. lol)

There is also a app called "QuickThoughts" that you use to answer surveys for points. You can cash those points in for $10 GCs from Amazon. It's a bit of a battery hog when you are using it with GPS, but you also have the potential for more surveys when you do.

I've been very pleased with it and basically use it to justify frivolous purchases like in-app stuff for Hearthstone and Magic cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
If you are doing the eldrazi thing, there are some low CMC cards in black and red that can ramp you a bit by giving you eldrazi "spawn" or "scion" tokens which can be sacrificed for colorless mana.

e.g. carrier thrall; grave birthing; brood birthing; spawn of ulamag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Garrett
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here's what i use alot in those colors for Commander:

Sword of the Animist
Crucible of Worlds
Hedonist's Trove

Black and Red has limited options.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
stagger lee wrote:
ArcNeoMasato wrote:

There is also a app called "QuickThoughts" that you use to answer surveys for points. You can cash those points in for $10 GCs from Amazon. It's a bit of a battery hog when you are using it with GPS, but you also have the potential for more surveys when you do.

I've been very pleased with it and basically use it to justify frivolous purchases like in-app stuff for Hearthstone and Magic cards.

My old Note4 tends to have a beastly little battery, so I'll give it a shot, thanks for the tip

kendog61 wrote:
here's what i use alot in those colors for Commander:

Sword of the Animist
Crucible of Worlds
Hedonist's Trove

Black and Red has limited options.

Hope this helps!

Anything helps, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
I ended up ordering about 8 different cards suggested here, will likely get the others though later, since... red/black is my thing, so they all will be decked eventually. lol Thanks again for the suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.