Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Roberts
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
We got a few plays in this weekend but had a question regarding playing some house character cards.

Specifically how timing worked for "After house cards are revealed"

Once they were flipped the Baratheon's had two which caused some questions:

The Lord's of Light:
(Selyse)
Return the card revealed by the active player on the opposing side to their hand. Then replace it with 1 card form that player's hand.

Only Forward:
(Stannis)

Discard all played and revealed cards and start the encounter phase over.

Stannis was the leader/Selyse the active character so both should be playable.

After house cards are revealed

I strongly believe the following is correct:

Play House cards>Reveal
Play Stannis's (Only Forward)>
Play Second House Cards> Reveal
It is possible to play Selyse's (Lord's of light) -since it says to start the encounter phase over on Only Forward

But how bout the other way?

Play House cards>Reveal
Play Selyse's (Lord's of light)>
Place Card in active players hand and Draw a new one> Reveal
It is possible to play Stannis's (Only Forward) - At first I said yes but in rereading I think revealing and replacing are different so I'd lean towards no on this one.

Is there a difference?

Can you play two Selyse cards back to back? or how bout two After house cards are revealed?

I like short rules but something as simple as "players may play one character card per encounter" would have been clear if it was a rule.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this game yet but I am a cosmic encounter player, and while this game is supposedly less chaotic and with more limited "artifacts" (characters) play, I believe the rules should be the same here - "after cards are revealed" is not a single moment where one card can be played, it's more like a whole phase where multiple players can play multiple cards.

So yes, you can play Selyse and then Stannis. In fact the language on Stannis' card hints very strongly that other cards can be played before him (Discard all played and revealed cards). Also I believe you can play multiple Selyse cards back to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jctrevor wrote:

Can you play two Selyse cards back to back? or how bout two After house cards are revealed?

In what scenario can the opposing side reveal two cards? The revealed card is the one placed face down. As far as I know there is no effect in the game that lets you place more than one card face down in this manner.

You could reveal one card and play a character card after revealing, but that character card isn't revealed and wouldn't be affected by Selyse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I was more if looking at it as

Reveal house cards>
Play first Selyse card>
New card selected at random from the oppenants hand >
Play a second Selyse card>
New Card selected at random from the oppenants hand.

In closer reading I think the wording would have to say 'reveal new house card's not 'replace'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Jctrevor wrote:
I was more if looking at it as

Reveal house cards>
Play first Selyse card>
Play a second Selyse card>
New Card selected at random from the oppenants hand.

In closer reading I think the wording would have to say 'reveal new house card's not 'replace'

After you play the first Selyse card, it doesn't matter that the house card that was originally revealed is replaced now. The timing is still "After house cards are revealed", so it allows you to play another Selyse card, if you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got what you are saying. Stannis card says "played and revealed" cards, and its possible that two cards were revealed but I think it's more accurate to say that Stannis refers to cards that are currently revealed at this moment.

If Selyse replaced a card, the new card is revealed and the old card is no longer revealed. So Stannis would only affect the new card, not the old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the responses!

To sum up the above it seems like any/all cards which fall into the proper timing window (before/after ect) and are the character in play/leader can be played.

With Selyse engaged, and Stannis as a leader, it would be possible for the following:

So it is possible to play a Selyse, draw a new card, play a second Selyse, draw a new card, play a Stannis (discard both) and then draw new cards.

Really enjoying the game, just bridging the rules gap between between cosmic and this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jctrevor wrote:
Reveal house cards>
Play first Selyse card>

Is this really how Selyse's ability works? I would interpret the card text this way too, but doesn't this make the outcome of the encounter completely random? Seems like a very strong/chaotic/swingy ability.

... Can you tell I'm not a Cosmic Encounter player?

Quote:
Only Forward:
(Stannis)

Discard all played and revealed cards and start the encounter phase over.

Just to be sure here: Character cards are resolved immediately after they have been played, right? It's not like you're making a stack of card effects (Magic style) and only resolve them all at the end of the whole thing? Pretty sure that's how it works, but the wording "discard all played and revealed cards" trips me up a little here.

(Like, why would it matter do discard a played character card if its effect has already been resolved? Isn't the card immediately discarded afterwards anyway? Unless there are abilities that let you take cards back into hand after playing and resolving them, I suppose.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well now that I have my own copy of the game, I can at least answer my first question myself:

Snapshot wrote:
Is this really how Selyse's ability works?

Yes. It actually says on the card "Then replace it with 1 random card from that player's hand".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.