Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Hey fellow geeks,
I might need your help with naming a certain mechanic in my thematic Trick-Taking Game that I'm currently designing (including dice, duels and tactical formations, yay). Players battle each other in a generic Medieval setting (since both players are drawing from the same card-pool, I can't use unique units accurately depicting a certain historical era), and there's various Battlegrounds with special rules, spicing up things, making each battle somewhat unique. Now, on each Battleground there's a number from 1-4 which, on the one hand, for the Offensive Player, constitutes how terrain and climate influence effectiveness of his troops, but also on the other hand, for the Defensive Player, dictate how Champion Units in general affect the Battle.

I'm looking for a coherent and clear term for this number, covering both sides, the Offensive (terrain/climate, how dense the fog or wood, how cold the winter etc.) and the Defensive (what impact Champion-Units have on the battle). Well, I could always name it "Battleground Index" or something like that, but it's a bit lame and abstract; maybe someone has a better idea?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Sounds like Charisma / Moral thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a generic term for something like that might be "advantage", covering various factors that might work in a player's favour without being specific about what they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
The Morale-Thingy might work, if I make some minor adjustments to card-labelling and some tiny rules-aspects. Want this to work as elegantly and intuitively as possible. Thanks for that, might've reached the same conclusion eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Sounds like the principle you're looking for is a Favored Ground Index, but that's a terrible name. You need something that sounds gallant and catches in your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atmosphere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shiffler
United States
Manchester
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe "Reconnaissance Report" could work. Thematically it could fit, as scouts would be reporting on the battlefield conditions and unit placement/strengths...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe just something simple like:

Tactics

?

That way you look at it as the offensive team uses the topography tactically to make their attack, while the Champion uses his/her knowledge of the area for defensive tactics.

Pretty generic, but I think you need something generic to cover both.

Or Tactician ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the input. I'm going with "Morale" now - actually this issue helped me to locate a rather unneccesary and fiddly micro-rule, and once I stripped it down and streamlined it, it now fits perfectly, without undermining the Terrain/Climate-Aspect: it's just an index now, symbolizing how well Champion-Units perform on the respective Battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd find it odd for a piece of land to have Morale as opposed to a unit, character or army. Is this tree happy?

I reckon a suggestion along the line of tactics is good. Maybe something like "complexity" "potential" "opportunities" - something that sounds inherent to the ground that a champion could exploit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
i agree that morale isn't a terrain thing... i would say Land Knowledge or something similar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
No happy trees here, sorry.
Terrain now ONLY refers to special abilities of units, which are "hindered" and can't use theirs, and also which units provide the offensive player with a disadvantage, when they have too many of them (for example in foggy weather Archers can't aim as well, Cavalry isn't as mobile on swampy ground, etc.). "Morale" is now a seperate variable. That's what I meant with: I streamlined the whole thing, threw some cards out, made it modular instead, and thus logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Watson
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Dude_Abides wrote:
Maybe "Reconnaissance Report" could work. Thematically it could fit, as scouts would be reporting on the battlefield conditions and unit placement/strengths...

I really like this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Guys, need help again, with a certain thematic term:
I need a synonyme for "Elite". The thing is, despite some dice-rolling, special abilities and damage-dealing, the very base mechanic of my game is still Trick-Taking; I need to differentiate between Trump-Suit-Units and Highest-Value-Units (Ace in a regular card-game) - I can't call the latter "Champions", since I also have an entire suit dedicated to Siege-Engines ("Catapult-Champion" or "Ballista-Hero" does sound kinda stupid, right?). "Elite-Catapult" sounds okay, however, the term "Elite" I've already reserved to Trump-Suit-Units.
Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Superior?

Superior catapult, superior hero and superior cavalry all sound right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
diceman2k4 wrote:
Guys, need help again, with a certain thematic term:
I need a synonyme for "Elite". The thing is, despite some dice-rolling, special abilities and damage-dealing, the very base mechanic of my game is still Trick-Taking; I need to differentiate between Trump-Suit-Units and Highest-Value-Units (Ace in a regular card-game) - I can't call the latter "Champions", since I also have an entire suit dedicated to Siege-Engines ("Catapult-Champion" or "Ballista-Hero" does sound kinda stupid, right?). "Elite-Catapult" sounds okay, however, the term "Elite" I've already reserved to Trump-Suit-Units.
Any ideas?

This is kinda tricky, since trump-suit-units are probably better than highest-value-units, so it needs to be something that is not as good as "elite" but better than "normal."

Playing off of Greg, maybe use "Superior" for Trump Suit and "Elite" for Highest Value? Superior seems better than Elite to me, but I'm not sure how universal that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm, I just thought, that I'd could actually use the term "Hero" with the Ace-Value ... it just depends on the final artwork. For example, the Siege-Unit could very well be a Ballista-Thingy like the Wind Lance from the Hobbit-Movies, operated by a Mechanic in shiny clothes. And I'd be okay to call that a "Hero-Unit", no? It's also kinda thematic to give them a name, which underlines the fact, that they're unique; whereas "Elite" is a more universal attribute - and why shouldn't they be able to bring down a Hero? Bring in your best men to topple their leader! The other suits include Infantry, Archers and Cavalry - and they work fine with the term anyway.
Also, "Elite" sounds easier and less clumsy to me - saying "this is an Elite-Archer" actually conjurs up an image, instead of just stating: "this Archer is superior".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Again, could need some help with thematic descriptions for some actions and special abilities in my 2-Player Trick-Taking Card-Game (medieval warfare, no wizards or spells here):

Every player has a couple of Tactic-Tokens, which, when they're on the Offensive Side of the battle, they may use to manipulate and optimize their dice rolls. There are 3 colors of dice, and 8 Tactic-Tokens in total, as follows, and if you come up with a better and more fitting term, please don't hesitate to make a suggestions.

RETREAT & REGROUP
- Reroll all dice.

VETERAN STRENGTH
- Reroll all Red Dice (Critical Damage, you'll get them from Hero-Units)

CHARGE
- Reroll all Green Dice (Piercing Damage = medium damage)

HOLD THE LINE
- Reroll all White Dice (Weapon Damage = lowest damage, you'll get them from low-strength units)

AMBUSH
- Reroll any group of Dice (either all Red, Green or White Dice)

REINFORCEMENTS
- Reroll any number of dice, but more than 1 and less than All.

BATTLE CRY
- Reroll 1 Die of your choice

SCOUTING PARTY
- Reroll 1 Die of each Group, if available (1 Red, 1 Green, 1 White Die)

The other thing is, that I need some thematic description for Unit-Special-Abilities:

ARCHERS
- "Rain of Arrows", naturally (do some extra damage at the end of the Battle, rolling 1-3 White Dice)

CAVALRY
- "Rally the Troops" (get back 1 random used Tactic-Token)

ARTILLERY/SIEGE
- "Breach Enemy Lines" (destroy 1 Tactic-Token from the Enemy)

INFANTRY (??? Descriptive Ability needed)
- Reroll any number of Dice, before the Offensive player starts to use Tactic Tokens in order to optimize his roll. In other words, when you're on the Defensive, make the Offensive Player's life harder, when you're on the offensive yourself, make your life a little easier)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman2k4 wrote:
REINFORCEMENTS
- Reroll any number of dice, but more than 1 and less than All.

I like 'Flanking Maneuver' better here.

diceman2k4 wrote:
INFANTRY (??? Descriptive Ability needed)
- Reroll any number of Dice, before the Offensive player starts to use Tactic Tokens in order to optimize his roll. In other words, when you're on the Defensive, make the Offensive Player's life harder, when you're on the offensive yourself, make your life a little easier)

Determination
Uncommon Valor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
"Flanking Maneuver" sounds good, I'll take that; indeed, the term "Reinforcements" implies, that you're getting additional stuff, which is not the case here. "Determination" is also good - sometimes it's the more simple things, which work best.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.