Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AD .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A player plays Mayor and now its time to refilling the colonist ship.

Do you count all empty circles on all buildings owned by players?

OR

Do you only count empty circles on production buildings?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Mc Cloud
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to count all empty circles on all buildings owned by players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus if no one reminds the mayor to do this, then the minimum number is refilled (once someone realises this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavken wrote:
Plus if no one reminds the mayor to do this, then the minimum number is refilled (once someone realises this).

This sounds like a house rule. But I'll be dang. It sure is official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
It's official, but it's a kludge, to cover the cases where people can't remember (actually or "strategically") how many should have been placed.

A fair number of people actually house rule that rule so that if they can work out how many should have been placed, they do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
We house rule that if we can't figure out how many colonists should have been placed on the ship, we are overtaken by a colonist revolt and we all lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as someone notices before the next builder phase is called, the number of open slots should be the same. Even after a builder phase, most people remember what they had built and don't count those spaces.

Was going to include calling a mayor phase, but if you fail to notice an empty colony ship while calling a mayor phase, I think you're playing the wrong game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, we play it as a tactic. Deliberately not reminding the mayor has become a legitimate tactic so as to prevent the colonists not running out too quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
gavken wrote:
Oh no, we play it as a tactic. Deliberately not reminding the mayor has become a legitimate tactic so as to prevent the colonists not running out too quickly.

gulp

IMO, level one errors are lame to include in games.

I know some like to play everything in the strictest of forms, but I don't see the point.

Chess for example specifically addresses not allowing level 1 errors (moving into check or not moving out of check is forbidden by the rules.)

I don't really love level 2 errors either (moving into a position where loss is certain), but I agree there are way more ambiguous to define, so I allow them.

I understand the need for games to gives you a way to fix errors in the event they occur, but not filling the colonist ship is getting the rules wrong IMO. The rules don't say it is optional to fill the colonist ship (as far as i know).

Also, if somebody forgot to take extra points for using the harbor, I'd happily let them take them when they realized. (obviously this can run into its own problems as plays may make decisions assuming that the game state is updated correctly). Taking points isn't optional either.

I think everyone at the table should make an effort to enforce the rules of the game and not intentionally not correct somebody that is making a mistake per the rules.

But I understand some groups like to play in different ways. I just don't understand why this type of play is desirable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Braden
United States
Goshen
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
gavken wrote:

gulp

IMO, level one errors are lame to include in games.

I know some like to play everything in the strictest of forms, but I don't see the point.

Chess for example specifically addresses not allowing level 1 errors (moving into check or not moving out of check is forbidden by the rules.)

I don't really love level 2 errors either (moving into a position where loss is certain), but I agree there are way more ambiguous to define, so I allow them.

I understand the need for games to gives you a way to fix errors in the event they occur, but not filling the colonist ship is getting the rules wrong IMO. The rules don't say it is optional to fill the colonist ship (as far as i know).

Also, if somebody forgot to take extra points for using the harbor, I'd happily let them take them when they realized. (obviously this can run into its own problems as plays may make decisions assuming that the game state is updated correctly). Taking points isn't optional either.

I think everyone at the table should make an effort to enforce the rules of the game and not intentionally not correct somebody that is making a mistake per the rules.

But I understand some groups like to play in different ways. I just don't understand why this type of play is desirable.

This is a statement I resonate with. My overall goal is to have fun and allow everyone playing to have fun. I know those times when you forget to do something can be frustrating in itself and it is made worse when someone you're playing with won't allow you to go back to get what you deserve.

As far as the question of this post, this actually just happened to us this weekend. After a year of not playing Puerto Rico, we were rusty in some rules and forgot about the colonist ship and empty circles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.