Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have taken the liberty of uplifting the following question from another thread, as the question is significant and likely won't be noticed in that thread:

volkan wrote:
Conan the general has reroll in his attack action.
if he assigns multiple dice for attack, Does he get only one reroll or a reroll for each dice?

The closest answer i have found seems to indicate "per gem/die". Heroes' Book page 10:

Quote:
Some die icons show an arrow on them ({ICON}). Once after a player rolls a die indicated by these icons, the player may reroll one die of the matching type without performing a Reroll action.

Emphasis added, with "a die" and "one die" being the parts which "match up." Slightly reworded: "rolls ONE die indicated by these icons... may reroll ONE die ..."

i interpret that as:

Conan the General commits 3 gems to an attack. He rolls 3 dice for it, each one of them behaving as if it has a reroll symbols.

Can someone "in the know" please confirm or discount that. If the answer is indeed "no", i would very much like to understand why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your interp.

I am under the impression the contents of the illustrated action box is what you pay for PER GEM put onto that box, so for 1 gem you get to roll 1 red dice and that die is rerolled if desired (obviously if the die in question is a red with a re-roll symbol).

What I find of note is that you only gain the additional dice benefits from equipment once per attack, however many gems you spend on it. Sometimes it may be worth making more, single gem attacks and gaining the bonus from items multiple times. - Just reread the rulebook and it looks like I am wrong - it implies you get the equipment cards' bonus per gem. "Then, for each gem assigned, the hero rolls one die of the type indicated on their Melee Attack space, plus the dice indicated on the chosen card." Seems abit OP to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
I am under the impression the contents of the illustrated action box is what you pay for PER GEM put onto that box, so for 1 gem you get to roll 1 red dice and that die is rerolled if desired.

Yes, it's the good answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
volkan kucukemre
msg tools
Old Deep One wrote:
Just reread the rulebook and it looks like I am wrong - it implies you get the equipment cards' bonus per gem. "Then, for each gem assigned, the hero rolls one die of the type indicated on their Melee Attack space, plus the dice indicated on the chosen card." Seems abit OP to me...

Basic aritmethics states that multiplications are done before additions...

And in my understanding, you get only what's in the action box whenever you put a gem in it. So multiple attacks=multiple weapon bonuses but so is multiple reduction from enemy armor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volkan wrote:
Old Deep One wrote:
Just reread the rulebook and it looks like I am wrong - it implies you get the equipment cards' bonus per gem. "Then, for each gem assigned, the hero rolls one die of the type indicated on their Melee Attack space, plus the dice indicated on the chosen card." Seems abit OP to me...

Basic aritmethics states that multiplications are done before additions...

And in my understanding, you get only what's in the action box whenever you put a gem in it. So multiple attacks=multiple weapon bonuses but so is multiple reduction from enemy armor...

Volkan ist correct:

When you attack, REGARDLESS of how many gems you invest, you get:

- 1x PER GEM: the die in your Melee- resp. Ranged box.

- 1x: your Melee resp. Ranged Weapon die/dice

If you attack in melee without a weapon, you get the -2 success "unarmed" penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this contradicted by weapons with 2 dice...both of which have the re-roll icon? I interpreted this as both dice getting a re-roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
Is this contradicted by weapons with 2 dice...both of which have the re-roll icon? I interpreted this as both dice getting a re-roll.

When multiple dice of an item have a reroll symbol, you can apply any of those rerolls to any dice of the same color rolled in the same "pool" of dice (e.g. the same attack). There is a limit, however (clarified by Monolith in another thread), that each of those dice may only be rerolled for free (i.e. via a reroll symbol) a single time. Further rerolls require expending gems or using an ability like the Support skill.

e.g. one of the monsters has 3 red dice, all with rerolls. You roll all 3 and decide to keep 2 of them. The 3rd can be rerolled once for free using the reroll symbol of any of those 3 dice. If you want to reroll it a second time, you cannot continue to use the free rerolls - you must use gems or some other special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Arkobla Conn wrote:

When multiple dice of an item have a reroll symbol, you can apply any of those rerolls to any dice of the same color rolled in the same "pool" of dice (e.g. the same attack). There is a limit, however (clarified by Monolith in another thread), that each of those dice may only be rerolled for free (i.e. via a reroll symbol) a single time. Further rerolls require expending gems or using an ability like the Support skill.

e.g. one of the monsters has 3 red dice, all with rerolls. You roll all 3 and decide to keep 2 of them. The 3rd can be rerolled once for free using the reroll symbol of any of those 3 dice. If you want to reroll it a second time, you cannot continue to use the free rerolls - you must use gems or some other special ability.

But what if you decide to keep only 1 - I had interpreted that they could reroll both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Arkobla Conn wrote:

But what if you decide to keep only 1 - I had interpreted that they could reroll both.

That's correct. You can reroll each die once. So with 3 red dice, each with a reroll, you can reroll each of them once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aubaine wrote:
That's correct. You can reroll each die once. So with 3 red dice, each with a reroll, you can reroll each of them once.

Correct, sorry if i misrepresented that. My main point was about the reroll limit: you can reroll each individual die for free only once, even if you have "leftover" free reroll symbols from other dice.

e.g. if you have 3 dice of one color, all with reroll symbols, you have 3 collective rerolls. If you roll the dice and keep 2 of them, you cannot use your collective 3 free rerolls to reroll the single remaining die up to 3 times. Even though you have, in effect, 3 free rerolls, they cannot all be applied to that last die - it can only be rerolled once using these symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.