GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 56.87
26% of Goal | 29 Days Left
So, we have been playing Kingdom Death Monster for just shy of 11 months now. In all that time, we have had a couple of New Game +'s resulting from Clinging Mists, but we had never explicitly sought out one during a fight with the Phoenix.
This weekend, as our 3rd YouTube Settlement was near death, we said, screw it, lets see if we can get a New Game + from the Phoenix. We knew the general concept.
* Get "Deja Vu" AI Card (25% chance at Level 1)
* Rack up 25 Age tokens on living survivors
* Stack the AI Deck as best as possible to draw the Deja Vu card to spawn into New Game +
* Don't heal up before fighting the Prologue White Lion
* Make it to the Settlement.
So, our last 4 capable survivors headed out to face the Phoenix. We went with a Level 1 because we didn't think we had a chance to actually take the damage from a Level 2.
If you want some surprises, stop here and watch the video, otherwise, keep on reading.
At the end of the day, this is why I play and stream Kingdom Death Monster. Its sessions like this where the players are able to pull off the impossible and rise to the top in ways they never thought possible. Its the stuff stories and dreams are made of.
So, we went in not having any clue if we even had the Deja Vu AI Card in the deck. To make matters worse, we kept digging into the AI Deck every single round with one of our Rawhide Headbands just desperately trying to see if its there. It wasn't until the very very very final card in the AI Deck that we discovered, yes, Deja Vu was in the deck!
Unfortunately, that was just the start. We also needed to rack up 25 Age tokens to activate it without being hit by Spiral Age or having survivors with vital age tokens die.
We did get hit by a spiral age early, but it only added 4 Hunt XP to one of our survivors, and therefore we only lost 1 age token. That was a blessing, but things got really bad regardless.
Needless to say, we succeeded and got the New Game +
To say we took a beating would be an understatement. By the end of the Hunt, we had all 4 survivors, but they were in awful shape.
* 3 Survivors each had 4 Bleed Tokens and we forgot to bring bandages
* 1 Survivor had 3 Bleed Tokens
* We had a 1/3 chance of putting Deja Vu on top when we did. If we had failed, we probably would have had a survivor die
* Only 1 Survivor had any real armor left, and he had 4 Bleed tokens.
* 1 Survivor only had a Movement of 2, so at one point we had to pull the Phoenix nearby him to draw Basic Attacks away from other survivors that were about to die.
It was an insane 2 hour battle. I don't think we have ever cheered as much as we did at the end of this fight when we succeeded.
Unfortunately, even after all of this, we still had to take our heavily wounded survivors and face a Prologue White Lion. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue for such a high powered force, but even the initial attack by the White Lion put us at risk of death.