6 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ship to ship raiding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Martinelli
msg tools
new user
We've been enjoying Seafall (3 sessions in). One question that has come up, when applying successes as damage or plunder, do you have to apply ALL successes if possible?

Example, after all dice rolling is done, the attacker has 5 successes. Does he have to plunder the ship for its 2 goods and damage, sink the defender? Or can he simply choose only 2 successes and just plunder the goods, leaving the enemy ship in tack in order to avoid paying more enmity?

Lastly, if they can avoid applying successes, can they choose to raid, have multiple successes, and choose to apply none? If so, does this count as a successful endeavor? Do they still get the glory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing not to apply all of your successes is certainly possible. The rules for plunder use a "may."

As for applying NO successes, this is tough one. The rules as-written allow for it, and JR Honeycutt said as much. However, at a later time we received clarification from Rob Daviau that this sort of raiding was against the intent of the design and that we should consider plunder necessary to receive glory. (otherwise you could repeatedly raid a low defense site, province or ship for a free glory every turn with no repercussions!)

Short answer, NO. A Raid where you CHOOSE not to plunder does not grant glory. The exception is a province raid where you rolled at least one success and did not sink, but do not have ENOUGH successes to plunder any of the province sites. In this case it was not a choice but an unfortunate result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Rob's ruling, I don't believe that your last two sentences are true any more. He added plunder to the criteria of a successful raid, so as it stands, your raid has failed (and you gain no glory) if you fail to plunder -- either by choice or due to lack of successes.

You can still choose not to plunder, and if for any reason you didn't plunder, you wouldn't place enmity ... but you wouldn't gain glory either.

This got me to thinking that perhaps provinces should have a "1 plunder" option that would allow you to place an enmity and gain a glory. Maybe you failed to break into their warehouses, but you left some pretty explicit graffiti behind. This would provide a fallback option to gain glory while preventing the "free" glory engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind a fallback option for raiding. As the only real raider in our group of 4, I'm not finding many opportunities for Glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I wouldn't mind a fallback option for raiding. As the only real raider in our group of 4, I'm not finding many opportunities for Glory.

Says the person who was the Prince for multiple games. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
But I haven't been using my raiding to get there! I'm lucky to get 2-3 points per game that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.