Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Guys
Looking for xmas and bday gift ideas for my little brother
he is 7, loves Soccer and Star wars and super heros, can be quite hyper and competitive, likes to have a laugh at others' expense, very cheeky
I'm looking for a game he can learn easy and play quick. something that adults can play with him and he be able to compete. dexterity based could be good. he is getting into reading so something with a reading/story aspect may suit. he also likes building (lego etc)
Most importantly, something that isn't effing Pie Face, kid needs to learn what real board games are.

My thoughts so far are
Fluxx, maybe batman fluxx
Happy Salmon
Labrynth
Hey that's my fish
edit: Rhino Hero

Any thoughts on those or other suggestions appreciated
bonus if I can order it online to arrive before sunday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loopin' Chewie
Ice Cool
Chicken Cha Cha Cha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon! if you think fantasy would appeal.

Definitely Space Alert, but only if you think you can get the full six players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:
... he is 7, loves Soccer and Star wars and super heros, can be quite hyper and competitive, likes to have a laugh at others' expense, very cheeky
I'm looking for a game he can learn easy and play quick. something that adults can play with him and he be able to compete....
From the bold things above, take a look at Soccer 17
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia, with him as the overlord. He will probably need a little help to play, but he will just enjoy trashing his opponent, specially if it's an adult. At least my 7 y/o and his friend were sauron

Another option is Summoner Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Star Fluxx
Just got this one, have Fluxx and Pirate Fluxx and the boys like this one the best.

Coup
My 7 year old loves this game, bluffing style, can easily compete with adults.

Five Tribes
There's a lot going on in this game, but it's easy to play and fun for wide range of ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And one more : Rumble in the Dungeon, if you want something really quick and easy to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George C.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Star Realms? It has a nice theme, is a pretty straight forward deck builder and is $15 MSRP. There is also a coop addon you can pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Risk: Star Wars Edition (it's not risk and has not a lot to do with it).
I bought it for a 7-years-old and he totally loves it. It sure is not as easy as Rhino Hero, but it's easy enough for a 7 year old to get it - and little Star Wars fans normally do have enough motivation to learn how to play, since it contains tons of tiny plastic space ships you can move around and it's just big fun.
After 1 round, everything should be clear.

Tom Vasel from Dice Tower made a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ClKncdZpIk

With the rebels, it's much easier to win than with the imperium. So if the kid plays the rebels, it's a challenging experience for the adult, which makes it interesting for both sides.
In Hey, that's my fish, I would probably win against every 7 years old as long as it's not a genius. Personally, I think it's too strategic for a kid to have fun with.
Rhino Hero is fun for every now and then... but I can't imagine how you could really excite someone with it.

Star Realms got mentioned. I really like the game, but 7 years might be just a little bit too young for it. Most of all, the kid must be able to shuffle a deck of cards easily (because you have to do if very often during that game). But it sure is a game to excite little Sci Fi-fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Cleveland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo
Star Wars Risk
Colt Express

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
PitchCar
Flick 'em Up!
Loopin' Louie
Rhino Hero
Animal Upon Animal
Coconuts
Spot it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
I was gonna recommend Munchkin Adventure Time, but since you already own that I'm guessing you already played that with your brother? If he enjoyed it maybe you could get the expansion (Munchkin Adventure Time 2: It's a Dungeon Crawl!) as a Christmas present? :)

You also own Star Realms - did you try playing it with your brother yet or do you think it would be too complex for him?

Maybe you could try Cthulhu Realms, if he's into monster stuff? My son totally loves horror things and really enjoyed the game. The core box already supports 4 players and I find it a little easier to learn than Star Realms. The card design is also much clearer and might be easier to read for children than Star Realms - but it might still be a little too complex for him, maybe that's a better present next year. ;)

Something else you could try is one of the Escape series games (Escape: The Curse of the Temple & Escape: Zombie City), they're not competitive but we always have a blast playing them, they're not hard to learn and each play through only lasts 15 minutes at most. They're co-operative real time games, so nobody gets bored and everyone shouts frantically at each other, which is something kids seem to love. XD

Oceanos might be something if you brother is into the theme - the game is real eye candy (which is important for some children ;>)! You've got cool looking, upgradeable cardboard submarines and choose ocean cards to play and score points. there is not too much player interaction and you only compete for the highest score at the end of 3 rounds, but it's quite fun, not too complex & long and just looks very nice! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.