7,233 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Alex B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi All,

I apologies if this is a question that has already been asked but I'm interested in opinions on how well this game plays with just 2 players and also, if I was to invest in this to play with a friend should he get his own core set in order to get the best experience out of it?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It's really best at 2 players, the melee mode 3+ players is ok but the game was designed for 2. You will want at least 2 core sets so you can build better decks. One collection will be enough to build several decks.

If you want a perfect collection you'll want 3 cores eventually. And one of every pack and expansion box set.

Only the core set has single cards, hence you need 3 copies to get 3 copies of all the cards. All the expansions already come with 3 copies of each card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
I Should Live in Salt
mbmbmbmbmb
The game plays well with 3+ in my opinion. It's very different in a lot of ways regarding strategy and feels more thematic with backstabbing, supporting and teaming up on one another. It's my favourite way to play Thrones.

However, as said above, it is mainly played as a 2-player game. I personally find it easy to snowball if someone gets a good lead in 2-player, especially compared to 3+, but it is still REALLY good with 2.

Whichever way you play, with 2 or with 3+, it's well worth your time.

Also, just get a Core and play casually with your friend to see if you enjoy it, but I recommend multiple cores (plus packs) if you want many decks, variety and loads of deck options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Oneiro22 wrote:
Hi All,

I apologies if this is a question that has already been asked but I'm interested in opinions on how well this game plays with just 2 players and also, if I was to invest in this to play with a friend should he get his own core set in order to get the best experience out of it?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Like others said, the game plays best with 2 players, although I highly enjoy playing melee with 3 people as the multiplayer rules add another layer of strategy.

If you plan on playing this casually with your friend one core should be enough to give you the feels. If you enjoy it, then the best investion would be to get an aditional core (or 2 for a complete playset). With 3 cores you can build up to 4 competitive/balanced decks.

Once you find in need of extra cards, I would get the Deluxe Boxes before any of the chapter packs (unless you want to get everything), as those are designed for competitive play mostly and are packed with unbalancing stuff to swift the meta and keep things interesting in between tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Laerfan wrote:
I personally find it easy to snowball if someone gets a good lead in 2-player,...

Look on the bright side!... This means the aggravation of being in a losing game is over that much quicker, and on the same note, means you can get to the next game that much quicker - the one you'll get revenge and win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks all! Really appreciate the advice Xmas present sorted for my buddy then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like 4-5 player games most, but most common format is 2 players.
With good competitive croup the multiplayer is gold, but if there is even one kingmaker... It is quite bad. My recommendation is that if there ever is a player who start king-making in this game. Kill him first and after that go to each others throats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
I personally like 4-5 player games most, but most common format is 2 players.
With good competitive croup the multiplayer is gold, but if there is even one kingmaker... It is quite bad. My recommendation is that if there ever is a player who start king-making in this game. Kill him first and after that go to each others throats!

Totally agree with this! Played a few 4-player matches where a husband/wife team did not ever want to attack/challenge each other so in true Game of Thrones style I killed all of her characters for himshake

Although I really enjoy the 3 and 4 player games, 2-player is also tons of fun and nice and quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.