Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has taken to watching Youtube kids and seeing various presentation videos of new toys, games, etc. Once my copy of Mechs vs. Minions arrived and we opened up the box and reveled in its tray-after-tray-after-tray goodness, I queued up the Radioplay and we jumped in with the tutorial a short time later. It was then that my son decided he wanted to present the game as episodes of "Family Fun Day" and "make his own videos". I should note here that I have recorded no such thing to date, but that didn't stop him from talking to an invisible camera and act just as though he were presenting the game to someone watching. Needless to say, it was pretty funny to watch.

We made it all the way to Mission 3 before realizing we had played a card completely wrong - Fuel Tank. It says right on it and in the rulebook that you need to discard the entire stack to activate it, and it had been the catalyst for us winning Mission 2 after an explosion leveled the Minion army and gave us the room to breathe that we desperately needed. Well, that and rolling red (no Minion spawn) like 3 turns in a row. But we instead were only discarding the top card of the Fuel Tank stack. So upon realizing our mistake, and after my wife wondering what was so exciting about this game we were playing, we (I) decided to start all over and include her in our gaming delight.

And so I present to you, our Family Fun Day series (my son's title) as we make our way through the Missions.

Mission 0 - Tutorial

Me - Heimerdinger
Wife - Tristana
Son - Ziggs

Playing with 2p definitely spoiled us, because only getting 1 card per turn SUCKS. Turn cards were a-plenty early on in this one and Heimerdinger spent a good 2-3 turns doing his own dance. Meanwhile, Tristana (which, I now say like Rumble and sigh afterward whenever I read) was able to get moving quickly and took out 3 of the crystals rather quickly. Ziggs, meanwhile, had some issues getting his order right and did a fair amount of turning also and finally moved into position to crush the final shard.

KA-BOOM!

Classic Rumble, having us practice on targets that were protecting the school! Minions incoming!

Based on our positioning, 1 Minion didn't spawn. First up, our very first damage though. Oddly enough, we all had slot damage. I had to turn 180 (which was fine since I had so much turn ability anyway). Tristana had a rotate 90 which went at the end of her command line and Ziggs also got a rotate 90 in the middle.

While I wasn't moving much, I did have a few Scythe cards that helped keep the Minions away from me. Tristana (sigh) was able to clean up the school pretty handily. And Ziggs.....ohhh Ziggs. While we didn't want to play the game FOR him, we decided that we would make the occasional suggestion in order to keep him engaged rather than turning, moving, and possibly doing nothing. So with some gentle prodding and explanation of where to slot a move card, he was able to get the last Minion off the board. The school was safe! (For now.)

Later on, I asked my wife's impression. Generally she said "cute, pretty straightforward." Oh what the future would hold.....

Edit: a few typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
These are such a blast to read. My 2 year old is addicted to Family Fun Time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it was a bit of a change to go from two player to three player for my son and I as well...finally had a chance to try it with more than two the other night with a friend who came over, and wow...the mechs just don't power up as quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.