6,248 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I just finished all of book 1. It seems that every mission (other than mission 4, book 1) ended within the first round of play. In the first mission the turtles killed 8 of my guys after 3 of the 4 turtles went. Mission 2 the Raph player rushed the front gate and I KO'd him on villain turn 3. Mission 4 was 2 rounds, but the turtles just brute forced their way in and won pretty easily running over my boss villains. The scenarios seem kind of short, and so far, at least 1 turtle/hero doesn't even get to go. So it takes me 10-15 minutes to setup the level, then if 2 players are playing the turtles, they may only get to play for 2-3 minutes on each scenario since we are all quick at the game. Am I missing something? Are the later book scenarios longer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for one thing, a hero/villain leader isn't given a KO'ed token until he/she fails to awaken on his/her turn, so I think you're jumping the gun there at the very least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPA941 wrote:
I just finished all of book 1. It seems that every mission (other than mission 4, book 1) ended within the first round of play. In the first mission the turtles killed 8 of my guys after 3 of the 4 turtles went. Mission 2 the Raph player rushed the front gate and I KO'd him on villain turn 3. Mission 4 was 2 rounds, but the turtles just brute forced their way in and won pretty easily running over my boss villains. The scenarios seem kind of short, and so far, at least 1 turtle/hero doesn't even get to go. So it takes me 10-15 minutes to setup the level, then if 2 players are playing the turtles, they may only get to play for 2-3 minutes on each scenario since we are all quick at the game. Am I missing something? Are the later book scenarios longer?

For the first mission...did you not run your guys away? Killing 8 thugs with only 3 activations doesn't seem possible if you were playing to the objective. You were giving the Brawlers 3 life, correct? And paying g attention to shells on the bottom of cards in your line?

For the second mission, well, there's no accounting for a player being dumb. But you did miss one thing here--you have to give him a KO token, which is different than simply dropping him to zero--you've got to keep him down for the whole next round before he actually gets the token.

And for mission 4...how the hell? How could they move all the way to the shipment AND deal 10 damage in 2 rounds? Even if you didn't utilize the choke point ideally, your guys should ha e slowed them down, and your other guys next to the shipment give it extra defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if you weren't doing activation correctly. From having played scenario 1-1 three times, it is very difficult to KO 8 of the villains before three get away if activating correctly. It took use three rounds for the turtles to win. I would think three rounds is going to be pretty close to the average.

You should activate one hero, then the villain plays two cards to activate villain characters, then the heroes activate another un-activated hero, then the villain plays two cards, and so on until the heroes have all activated one time and the villain has played eight cards. Then the round is finished.

If you activate all four heroes before the villain activates once, it wouldn't be surprising the heroes were able to win most of those scenarios in the first round.

Is it possible you aren't handling movement correctly? Adjacent enemies cause you to spend one extra point of movement per adjacent enemy to move a space. Also you have lose unspent movement points when you stop to take another action.

If these weren't a problem, I'd say the hero's may have gotten extremely lucky on their action dice rolls and attack and defense rolls and the villain was extremely unlucky with their attack and defense rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest explanation would be that a rule got missed. My guess is that you are not taking a villain turn between each hero activation.

After each hero goes, the villain goes. This means that the villian will also get four activations. Was this the way you played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
KevinW wrote:
Well, for one thing, a hero/villain leader isn't given a KO'ed token until he/she fails to awaken on his/her turn, so I think you're jumping the gun there at the very least.

Ohhhhhhh! Whoops. I definitely messed that up :/. Good to know! That will definitely add longevity to the KO missions! And, just a shout out to you Kevin - I love the game! I just felt some mission went by quickly. But looks like I was playing at least the KO part incorrectly.

InkSplat wrote:
UPA941 wrote:

For the first mission...did you not run your guys away? Killing 8 thugs with only 3 activations doesn't seem possible if you were playing to the objective. You were giving the Brawlers 3 life, correct? And paying g attention to shells on the bottom of cards in your line?

For the second mission, well, there's no accounting for a player being dumb. But you did miss one thing here--you have to give him a KO token, which is different than simply dropping him to zero--you've got to keep him down for the whole next round before he actually gets the token.

And for mission 4...how the hell? How could they move all the way to the shipment AND deal 10 damage in 2 rounds? Even if you didn't utilize the choke point ideally, your guys should ha e slowed them down, and your other guys next to the shipment give it extra defense.

Yeah. I was unable to roll more than 1 defense with the brawlers. Even with using my focus. It was close. I had 2 off the board. But since I was rolling poorly, and the hero players were rolling well, everything I had was killed in one go.

Yeah - for the second mission I messed the KO rules up :/. Good to know!

For mission 4, they had Casey and Mikey, and were able to move all over. They kept one shotting my minions. They ran straight through the cameras, b/c they know only 2 foot clan could spawn in front of them so they weren't worried about it. Then they hit old hob who I was trying to use to block and got him down to 8. Then Raph used his kick in the shell ability (something like that) and threw everything into it and did 9 damage to Hob. Then Casey and Leo pretty much beat Alopex in 2 hits. Then they ran in and dealt 10 to the objective. I think a big part of it was bad rolls on my part

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
tellerium wrote:
The simplest explanation would be that a rule got missed. My guess is that you are not taking a villain turn between each hero activation.

After each hero goes, the villain goes. This means that the villian will also get four activations. Was this the way you played?

Yeah, I played this way. I think bad rolls were a big problem. I messed the KO rules up too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For movement, are you taking into account that fact that being adjacent to an enemy adds an additional point of movement requires for each enemy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
InkSplat wrote:
For movement, are you taking into account that fact that being adjacent to an enemy adds an additional point of movement requires for each enemy?

I am. Although, I probably could have positioned enemies more effectively than I did to slow the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
UPA941 wrote:
Yeah. I was unable to roll more than 1 defense with the brawlers.

Just to be sure, you mean that you rolled the correct number of dice but never got more than a single shell in the results? Don't forget that there are cards that give extra defense dice as an ongoing bonus (shell icon at bottom right of the card), and for the first mission these (along with movement) will be the most useful cards to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
PRSthruVOX wrote:
UPA941 wrote:
Yeah. I was unable to roll more than 1 defense with the brawlers.

Just to be sure, you mean that you rolled the correct number of dice but never got more than a single shell in the results? Don't forget that there are cards that give extra defense dice as an ongoing bonus (shell icon at bottom right of the card), and for the first mission these (along with movement) will be the most useful cards to play.

Yeah. Exactly. I would often roll 2, and get 1 defense. Even when I had 4 defense, I would always get 1. Bad luck I suppose. But I didn't play many defense bonus cards, so I learned from that for next time. I also forgot about my plus 2 defense once, but let the kill go through because it was my fault that it was missed. Do villain defense dice stack as well? Can you get +4 defense? One tricky thing too is that the same villain miniature can only be activated once per villain turn. But I assumed that means miniature, so I moved 4 brawlers on one turn. That is okay, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UPA941 wrote:
Do villain defense dice stack as well? Can you get +4 defense? One tricky thing too is that the same villain miniature can only be activated once per villain turn. But I assumed that means miniature, so I moved 4 brawlers on one turn. That is okay, right?

Defense dice stack. You get all the appropriate bonuses on all active cards. So if you have three cards out that give Foot Clan Ninja a +1 to Defense, they get +3 defense.

If the heroes are dumping all this offense on you, them must be pretty lean on move and defend.

The Heroes being low on Defense also means the villain can get damage through. Focus on one or two turtles instead of wearing them all down. If a hero goes down it starts really crimp their damage dealing.

That being said, Bog them down with minions. EACH minion they have to get away from adds +1 to the move cost, so being surrounded quickly means they have to start breaking out powers to move. Make sure you are activating all the minions your cards let you activate! Many let you activate x2 or x3 minion per card. Even if your minions aren't doing much/any damage, make them fight through them. Just having a swarm of cannon-fodder will slow down the turtles a *lot*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
UPA941 wrote:
Do villain defense dice stack as well? Can you get +4 defense?

That is my understanding, yes.

Quote:
One tricky thing too is that the same villain miniature can only be activated once per villain turn. But I assumed that means miniature, so I moved 4 brawlers on one turn. That is okay, right?

Yes, or even more if the card activates multiple minions (pay attention to that, too!). Of course, that is per turn and not per round. The fact that the same villain miniature can activate 4 time per round (and each hero only once) should give the villain a significant advantage, even with bad rolls. But nothing is guaranteed, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Jhamin wrote:
UPA941 wrote:
Do villain defense dice stack as well? Can you get +4 defense? One tricky thing too is that the same villain miniature can only be activated once per villain turn. But I assumed that means miniature, so I moved 4 brawlers on one turn. That is okay, right?

Defense dice stack. You get all the appropriate bonuses on all active cards. So if you have three cards out that give Foot Clan Ninja a +1 to Defense, they get +3 defense.

If the heroes are dumping all this offense on you, them must be pretty lean on move and defend.

The Heroes being low on Defense also means the villain can get damage through. Focus on one or two turtles instead of wearing them all down. If a hero goes down it starts really crimp their damage dealing.

That being said, Bog them down with minions. EACH minion they have to get away from adds +1 to the move cost, so being surrounded quickly means they have to start breaking out powers to move. Make sure you are activating all the minions your cards let you activate! Many let you activate x2 or x3 minion per card. Even if your minions aren't doing much/any damage, make them fight through them. Just having a swarm of cannon-fodder will slow down the turtles a *lot*.

PRSthruVOX wrote:
UPA941 wrote:
Do villain defense dice stack as well? Can you get +4 defense?

That is my understanding, yes.

Quote:
One tricky thing too is that the same villain miniature can only be activated once per villain turn. But I assumed that means miniature, so I moved 4 brawlers on one turn. That is okay, right?

Yes, or even more if the card activates multiple minions (pay attention to that, too!). Of course, that is per turn and not per round. The fact that the same villain miniature can activate 4 time per round (and each hero only once) should give the villain a significant advantage, even with bad rolls. But nothing is guaranteed, of course.

Got it! I will try some new things out and play by the correct KO rules next time! I am meeting with a new game group this weekend, so I have to start over anyways. Thanks for the input all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
KevinW wrote:

Hey Kevin - I need clarification on the KO status. In the rulebook it states: "Once a character has suffered wounds equal to or greater than their Life attribute, that character is KO’ed." So I guess this is not correct? Or maybe I am interpreting that incorrectly? It sounds like you're saying they are not KO'ed right when their health reaches zero, but when they try to awaken and fail. It seems like the rulebook doesn't word it that way. Am I missing something?

Also, question on movement. The book says that you cannot enter a space with another figure. So does this mean you cannot move through another figure? If a figure is KO'ed, can you move through that figure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
UPA941 wrote:
KevinW wrote:

Hey Kevin - I need clarification on the KO status. In the rulebook it states: "Once a character has suffered wounds equal to or greater than their Life attribute, that character is KO’ed." So I guess this is not correct? Or maybe I am interpreting that incorrectly? It sounds like you're saying they are not KO'ed right when their health reaches zero, but when they try to awaken and fail. It seems like the rulebook doesn't word it that way. Am I missing something?

There's a difference between being KO'd and receiving a KO token. A character is KO'd when their health drops to 0, but they do not receive a KO token until they fail to revive. Most scenarios that deal with KO specifically mention tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
PRSthruVOX wrote:
UPA941 wrote:
KevinW wrote:

There's a difference between being KO'd and receiving a KO token. A character is KO'd when their health drops to 0, but they do not receive a KO token until they fail to revive. Most scenarios that deal with KO specifically mention tokens.

Gotcha! I am awful at reading the rules for some reason lol. What about movement? Can you not move through another figure since you can't enter the space it is in? If this is the case, can you not move through KO'd villain leaders? So can you use KO'd villain leaders to block a door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I believe they explicitly state that you can move through KO'd foes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
donnbobhardy wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I believe they explicitly state that you can move through KO'd foes.

Hmm, I can't find it :/. Might be missing it. I did find where it says KO figured do not cause break away movement. However, I can't find where it says you can move through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from the PnP rulebook, so it might be slightly out of date, but in the Movement section on page 11, this is the first paragraph:

Quote:
When a character takes a move action by spending one or more move icons, they receive move points equal to their Move attribute for each skateboard spent. Thus, a character with 3 Move that spends two skateboards receives six move points. These points are then used to move around the board. Normally, it costs one move point to move one space on the board, and diagonal movement is allowed, even if squeezing diagonally between two obstacles. Characters cannot enter a space containing another figure. They may move through KO’ed figures, but not end their turn on them.

Although this makes it sound like you can't pass through your own characters unless they are KO'ed. Anyone know if that is the intent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:

Although this makes it sound like you can't pass through your own characters unless they are KO'ed. Anyone know if that is the intent?

I believe that it is.

When they run out of health, minions vanish as their minis are pulled off the board. Turtles and Villain leaders are "KOed" and have their minis set on their sides.

I'm pretty sure that the intention of the line you quoted is that You cannot pass through any figure (friend or enemy) while they are up, but a "downed" figure doesn't block movement.

There are some later scenarios where you fight through some tight hallways in a building where this becomes vital. The guys in front need to get out of the way so the guys in back can fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Keep in mind that leaping is a loophole in this rule. Leaping figures ignore everyone in their path (until it comes time to land).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.