Virgin Queen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Barricades/ Worth a Mass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say the Catholic is triggered. Spain takes Amiens, Rheims and Dijon. Then places 4sp Guise and a fort in Dijon.

The protestants SD 4Sp and Navarre into Rouen and pick Paris is worth a mass as their home card.

Spain opens the turn with the barricades to take control of Paris and places a new 4sp unit there. The French army displaces to Rouen.

The French decide to buy some mercs to beef up their small army.

The prots only have 1 space next to Paris and not enough troops so they play Iconoclasm to convert Boulogne and some other spaces.

Spain plays Spanish road to SD into Paris and uses a treasure to lay siege to Rouen with a large army.

France beefs up his army.

The prots play Jean of Navarre as a response to start his turn (Or as a response to the HRE impulse and rebels in Boulogne.
He now has two spaces Navarre and 5+ SP next to Paris and plays his home card.

He takes control of Paris, Amiens, Rheims and Dijon. The troops left in Paris and Rheims displace to Besancon. Can the troops from Boulogne enter Paris?

Spanish forcein Rouen have now lost its LOC and have to consider their options.

Is this the way JdNavarre, Barricades and Worth a Mass are supposed to played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GuusI wrote:
Say the Catholic is triggered. Spain takes Amiens, Rheims and Dijon. Then places 4sp Guise and a fort in Dijon.

Guise, troops and fortress go in Rheims, not Dijon; per 20.10

The protestants SD 4Sp and Navarre into Rouen and pick Paris is worth a mass as their home card.

Spain opens the turn with the barricades to take control of Paris and places a new 4sp unit there. The French army displaces to Rouen

Line above this has the Prots in Rouen? You said the Catholic League was formed, so they couldn't displace to there as they're at war with Prots

The French decide to buy some mercs to beef up their small army.

The prots only have 1 space next to Paris and not enough troops so they play Iconoclasm to convert Boulogne and some other spaces.

To be clear, it's Iconoclastic Fury.

Spain plays Spanish road to SD into Paris and uses a treasure to lay siege to Rouen with a large army.

France beefs up his army.

The prots play Jean of Navarre as a response to start his turn (Or as a response to the HRE impulse and rebels in Boulogne.
He now has two spaces Navarre and 5+ SP next to Paris and plays his home card.
He takes control of Paris, Amiens, Rheims and Dijon. The troops left in Paris and Rheims displace to Besancon. Can the troops from Boulogne enter Paris?

First, under PiWaM, you only gain control of 3spaces, one of which may be Paris; second, I don't see the grounds for displacement here; the card doesn't specify it, Spain is at war with Prot so can be in that space...all I see is that the Spanish would be 'moved out' of the city and be besieging it...hopefully someone can confirm or deny this; third, even if the Spanish were ejected, no Prot may move in from Boulogne during this impulse unless Prot has a treasure to extend the impulse.

Spanish forcein Rouen have now lost its LOC and have to consider their options.

Is this the way JdNavarre, Barricades and Worth a Mass are supposed to played?

This is an interesting set of circumstances; is it hypothetical or taken from an existing game? Some of it was incorrect, as in the Guise deployment to Dijon, etc. The turn of the Catholic League formation can be quite...interesting, to say the least. Generally, PiWaM is played when sieging Paris in my experience; thus changing political control, ejecting the occupant (which cannot remain due to enemy troops) then displacing them to another legal space. I look forward to any correction/clarity on this though if I overlooked something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure Gus is just testing his understanding . When also considering his last question, it would be 5 special cards in a short time during a game.

J. of Navarre is an event if played for the first option (Rebellion) - it is only a response if played for the second option (to cancel a named card). Both are noted on the card. So it would take another impulse do what you suggest (or have payed another power to play it).

Nothing on the Paris is Worth a Mass about moving troops into Paris, so "no" to that. Likely best to either have troops already laying siege to Paris like Rob writes or have a treasure to move some there.

Note that if Prots don't already have Rouen, that could also be one of the spaces gained control over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It came up during a solo game. I usually prefer playing COIN games solo but my pbem game ground to a halt and we had a practice game with some newbies on the weekend. So I launched into VQ with some nostalgia.

Yes Guise and troops and fort arrived in Rheims - my bad.

So Navarre can only be used as a response to cancel GdF. I was thinking it would be a very powerful card. If the prots drew it on T1 and the French had whittled down the Paris garrison they could CZ into Paris and respond with 5SP rebellion all in the first impulse. (Potentially flipping Rouen as well). I am sure all French players will breathe a sigh of relief that they'll never have to deal with this.

I hadn't seen the Catholic league form in a game and so hadn't seen DotB and PiWaM played before either.

DotB is pretty straight forward and the 4 regulars makes a big difference.

PiWaM is then a lot harder to play. If you can't advance in you'll have a treasure, a skip a turn card or be laying siege to it already. Which kind of telegraphs your intentions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.