Fabled Fruit» Forums » General

Subject: Interested in this but seems overpriced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
It retails at £47 here in the UK, cheapest i've seen online is about £42 including postage.

Watching the usual videos online, Rodney and Dice Tower etc. it seems quite a light deck builder style game with the Legacy "Fabled" element just being a structured "Use these 8 cards for this game, then if you run out, move down the deck and keep adding for your next" hardly revolutionary.

I think this faux legacy is what's driving up the price of what is essentially a £20-£25 game at best. From my reckoning there are a little over 200 cards in the game (4 copies of 54 cards plus starting cards). Comparing this to Legendary's 400+ and Dominion's 300+ base games, both being cheaper, makes FF look less and less attractive. Even Mystic Vale, with it's plastic cards, has a similar number and sized components but plastic instead of card so must have cost more to produce, includes sleeves and yet retails 20% cheaper.

I know you shouldn't equate quantity to value when it comes to games, but when it boils down to a deck builder with fairly comparable mechanics i think it's fair to compare it's value with others deck builders on the market and i fear FF doesn't stack up.

If the game drops in price i will eventually pick it up as i am interested in it, just not at £47. Needs to be at least half that before i'll bite i'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Burcht
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I calculated right that means around 54 euro. That is really expensive. I paid a bit less than 30 euro and would say that is a good price: components are fine and I really enjoy the game but for 50 euro I would expect more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow the strongold price of this is much higher than the 2F price, I am not really sure why.

There are a lot of cards though, Dominion may have more but I think this has more different cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Price was one thing I criticized in my review.

But I usually calculate my games by dividing cost by gamers times hours. It takes about 25 games to get through the entire deck once, so in theory, with 4 players that's 100 game hours or less than $0.50 an hour.

It's been worthwhile for us but sure felt overpriced when opening the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Component list:

240 oversized location cards
70 fruit cards
6 wooden animals
6 animal tokens
1 wooden thief
5 fruit tokens
3 wild tokens
3 double turn tokens

So 310 cards, not "a little over 200". Plus 7 wooden meeples and a couple handfuls of cardboard tokens. Online street price is about $30 here in the US, which seems about right to me. £42 is definitely too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the MSRP in the USA is $30, which seems reasonable to me. I agree The above quoted European prices seem high.

EDIT: Yikes, I'm wrong. The MSRP is $45, which is really high IMO. Online vendors are selling it around $30 though (plus shipping)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
I think the MSRP in the USA is $30, which seems reasonable to me. I agree The above quoted European prices seem high.

The MSRP in the USA is $44.95.

It can be found for about $30 from online retailers in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, FF definitely isn't a deck builder. It's an action selection, set collection game. That could be good or bad, depending on your point of view.

As far as price, I think comparing it to Dominion is a good comparison. When Dominion came out, it was also considered overpriced. Why charge so much for an oversized card game? The justification, such as it was, is that you're paying for design and creativity as much as price. I'd say that's true for FF as well. Excluding the legacy element, FF is a very simple action selection, set collection game that might be worth $15 or $20 US. Before I bought FF, that's about what I thought it'd be worth.

I agree that reading the rules (or even review) makes the legacy element feel bolted on. However, playing is a different thing. You start out with only 6 actions. Over time, those actions change and become more interesting. While the number of actions doesn't increase a lot, some action disappear and new ones come in. It *feels* like a legacy. I'm excited to see what new actions are coming. Sure, the game itself is myeh, but I'm still excited to explore it. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's how I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Franczyk
United States
Windermere
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
It *feels* like a legacy. I'm excited to see what new actions are coming. Sure, the game itself is myeh, but I'm still excited to explore it. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's how I feel.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I find it surprisingly enjoyable and I'm interested to see how the game develops. A great feeling to have for a family-style game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last 6 months or so, Stronghold prices have become ridiculous in the UK. I guess that's what Mr. Buonocore was talking about when he said a rising tide lifts all boats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canadian price seems to be $40. It feels like it should be priced around $25 to me, $30 max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid £35 with my discount from the FLGS. But it did feel somewhat overpriced at that. There have been a few examples recently of terribly overpriced games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup. I just saw the Game Night episode on this game, was interested, went to check out the price... Nope.

I'm a big believer in the idea that the price shouldn't necessarily be reflected in the components because design, gameplay, price-per-hour, yadda, yadda, yadda, but even taking all that into account, this is way over-priced.

Shame. I'd have bought it instantly at £20, maybe even £25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who seems to think this is reasonably priced for the amount of content you get out of it, both in gameplay and in sheer number of cards?

No wonder game designers can't make money in this hobby market. $45 is more than reasonable.

Edit: And just to be fair to OP, yes, £47 is far too much for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pickboy87 wrote:
Am I the only one who seems to think this is reasonably priced for the amount of content you get out of it, both in gameplay and in sheer number of cards?

I agree; there are a lot of cards in this game, and cards are expensive.

I paid $33 plus shipping for mine, so prices clearly vary in different countries. I don't think the pound has devalued quite that much.

[Edit: I think there are roughly twice as many cards as in the base set for Race for the Galaxy.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna Elvy
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat with the really expensive UK RRP - I really can't justify purchasing this for over £30 whereas at £20-25 it would be an instant buy - I only hope that stronghold/ the UK distributor
reconsider the RRP otherwise I think it will sell very poorly over here. I know of people that picked up the English language stronghold version for around £20-22 at Essen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.