Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Still waiting on my copy of the game, but it seems like with all the extra tokens and such released that this game is ripe for fan-made custom scenarios. Has Monolith released any assets that people can use to generate their own scenarios or is that coming in wave 2 of the Kickstarter (or some other date in the future)?

I'm curious too if anybody that has the game sees a way to add character progression to create a sort of story campaign. Maybe access to powers/items gets restricted early on and as the players progress through the story, they gradually unlock/gain new abilities or items?

I'm not as familiar with the rules yet, but I wasn't sure if abilities/items were "baked" into the characters or if some things were modular in that they could easily be added/taken away. Equipment seemed like that since one scenario has you starting off with the Heroes losing their equipment cards. Not sure how balance would be affected or if there's even a clear formula for figuring out what each Hero can reasonably deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Has Monolith released any assets that people can use to generate their own scenarios

Nope.

paddirn wrote:
or is that coming in wave 2 of the Kickstarter (or some other date in the future)?

Not that they've made their KS backers aware of.

paddirn wrote:
I'm not as familiar with the rules yet, but I wasn't sure if abilities/items were "baked" into the characters or if some things were modular in that they could easily be added/taken away.

Short answer: baked in. See thread 1671023.

paddirn wrote:
Not sure how balance would be affected or if there's even a clear formula for figuring out what each Hero can reasonably deal with.

Not only is there no clear formula, but there cannot be one. The system's flexibility is its downfall in that regard: the value of any given attribute or skill depends on many other variables, many of which are scenario-dependent. There are a number of threads which cover this in much further detail, and many other posters who claim that a formula is inevitable/forthcoming, so take my opinion on it with a grain of salt. e.g. see thread 1656826.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I don't agree with the idea that there simply cannot be a points system or equivalent because of scenarios.

First off, as is, several of the scenarios favor one side or the other. So the idea that we're looking for 50/50 balance is probably false from the beginning (and not that's not automatically bad, either).

Second, plenty of miniature war games feature point systems and scenarios. Sometimes those scenarios render certain units or characters over or under costed, but you can bet another scenario flips it the other way.

I'd suggest coming up with a base formula based on combat effectiveness, survivability, and other skills. Equipment and spells can add or subtract to this. That can serve as a general guideline while creating scenarios. If balance really bothers people, we could classify scenarios by objectives and apply modifiers to cost based on that.

I itend to work on this but it will take time. There's an image on here of values the play testers used that is very helpful.

As for assets, if you open the rules, char sheets, or scenarios in Acrobat Pro or Illustrator stuff is usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swammeyjoe wrote:
Second, plenty of miniature war games feature point systems and scenarios. Sometimes those scenarios render certain units or characters over or under costed, but you can bet another scenario flips it the other way.

Show me some math which works for this game, and i'll be more than happy to concede. The fact is, the value of any given skill depends not only on the attributes of the person with that skill (including their encumbrance limits), but the exact conditions of the given scenario it's used in (or not used in, as the case may be). The same goes for basic attributes. Here's a starting point to demonstrate the futility of a reliable point-based model for this particular game: try to apply a point value to the Snake's movement in the Facing the Serpent-Specter scenario (it's in the extra 4-scenario booklet which comes with the Ultra-Mega pledge level).

i'm not denying that a working point system would be fantastic (truly, epically so). i'm not denying that it works in many other games. i am denying that it can work in this game. Until proven otherwise (by someone showing me math which works), i'm going to continue to assert that the only way to create balanced scenarios in this game is by tedious trial and error.

In any case, this has already been beaten to death in other threads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Still waiting on my copy of the game, but it seems like with all the extra tokens and such released that this game is ripe for fan-made custom scenarios. Has Monolith released any assets that people can use to generate their own scenarios or is that coming in wave 2 of the Kickstarter (or some other date in the future)?

They have promised the Conan website will be stocked with additional scenarios, from the designers and the fan community both. But as yet, I do not believe that promise has been fulfilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
paddirn wrote:

As noted above, nope... You just need to play a ton to get a feel for it, then playtest the heck out of your idea. So, not very practical unless you have a lot of time to spare.

They even sent out prototype kits to a few backers (I was one of them!) and they were utterly useless. Didn't include rules (a few pages of "guidance" but nothing that would pass as rules) or any hints on how to balance and build a scenario.

I get that it's complicated and hard to make a balanced scenario, but I was flabbergasted at how much time and effort they put into sending me a box of stuff I couldn't use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
..Has Monolith released any assets that people can use to generate their own scenarios or is that coming in wave 2 of the Kickstarter (or some other date in the future)?

the last time I have asked them, they said that they are still planning a Scenario Pack, but work on that was delayed due to other priorities (shipping and work on wave2).
They are looking into a solution and will update on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Campaign book will be a guide to what Monolith think Conan linked games will look like, but wether or not there is a progression system of any sort in place remains to be seen.

IF you were to do a homebrew progression system over some linked games I would go with something like extra gems and flat bonuses to action use (Conan 'levels up' and chooses a +1 to Melee action; each time he rolls melee he adds 1 to the result) or even bonus 'rerolls' or somesuch. Skills are to ingrained into the characters, I think (though not impossible to play about with the idea of some extra skills bought from a select list for each character).

Of course, the OL needs a progression system too and I dont really have any ideas there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guys don't forget, this is NOT a skirmish wargame (like Mithic Battles will be). This is a story/scenario driven adventure boardgame. keep this in mind!. Essentially it's the same as creating adventures for HeroQuest (remember?). they were never truly balanced, but they were a lot of fun anyways. The game never had a point system, because it's just impossible to balance point-wise in a scenario, that has special rules and fixed starting points.
IF the maps would be "open" and point-based, in the sense that each side places their minis however they want (or following certain setup rules)
and if the scenario's goal would be "open" and point-based, in the sense that it would be "kill XYZ" or "hold the line for X turns" or something like that, you could start with a point system.

For example (totally doing this on my feet): The pictish village is a 24-point-map with the following goals available: "Kill" 2pnts, "Capture" 3pnts, "hold the line" 3pnts. If the heroes take "kill", then they have 22 points left to spend on heroes and equipment. The Overlord chooses a goal as well, for example "hold the line for 8 turns", 3pts and has 21 points left to choose a boss (required) and minions and/or monsters.

but this would require A WHOLE LOT of testing the chosen points of testing different setup etc.... it might be a start, but not something that comes right out of the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
IF you were to do a homebrew progression system over some linked games I would go with something like extra gems and flat bonuses to action use (Conan 'levels up' and chooses a +1 to Melee action; each time he rolls melee he adds 1 to the result) or even bonus 'rerolls' or somesuch. Skills are to ingrained into the characters, I think (though not impossible to play about with the idea of some extra skills bought from a select list for each character).

Of course, the OL needs a progression system too and I dont really have any ideas there.

I agree that gems and probably items are the easiest (relatively speaking) way to generate some progression.
The OL doesn't necessarily have to, as the next scenario in a chain probably features completely different setup. I just has to be slightly more difficult on its own, counting on some progression on the hero side.

another way to make linked scenarios interesting is working with partial results from previous ones, e.g., as heroes you don't need to kill all X or gather all Y, however the next scenario setup or run may go differently depending on the X,Y you got. This wouldn't necessarily assume progression in terms of strength and balance, more working towards different development of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For some reason I feel like writing up a Conan Without Conan campaign where Conan is nowhere to be found throughout the entire campaign and it's just made up of minor characters. Maybe Conan briefly appears at the end of scenarios to take all the credit for the player's hard fought victory. Or maybe even a campaign where Conan is actually the antagonist throughout and the players are actually trying to put an end to one of Conan's barbaric murder/pillage sprees through the civilized world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
For some reason I feel like writing up a Conan Without Conan campaign where Conan is nowhere to be found throughout the entire campaign and it's just made up of minor characters. Maybe Conan briefly appears at the end of scenarios to take all the credit for the player's hard fought victory.

The critiques i've heard (second- and third-hand) of some other Conan games complain about exactly that: they weren't about Conan, but about playing non-Conan in Conan's world.

paddirn wrote:
Or maybe even a campaign where Conan is actually the antagonist throughout and the players are actually trying to put an end to one of Conan's barbaric murder/pillage sprees through the civilized world.

You'd likely not get much support from Conan fans on that one. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why not? you can simply use all the OL bosses that are provided as hero sheets and the Conan OL tile as an enemy and there you go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
paddirn wrote:
For some reason I feel like writing up a Conan Without Conan campaign where Conan is nowhere to be found throughout the entire campaign and it's just made up of minor characters. Maybe Conan briefly appears at the end of scenarios to take all the credit for the player's hard fought victory.

The critiques i've heard (second- and third-hand) of some other Conan games complain about exactly that: they weren't about Conan, but about playing non-Conan in Conan's world.

paddirn wrote:
Or maybe even a campaign where Conan is actually the antagonist throughout and the players are actually trying to put an end to one of Conan's barbaric murder/pillage sprees through the civilized world.

You'd likely not get much support from Conan fans on that one. :/

That's fine, it's more for shits & giggles anyways and to get around the weird thing of only one person getting to be Conan, the star of the game. I also think it'd be hilarious to present Conan as the villain in the game and presenting the other side of all his stories.

I'm also a Conan fan. Read through all Howard's stories and have an *almost complete set of the original Marvel Comics run of Conan the Barbarian (though haven't followed any of the new series that have cropped up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
For some reason I feel like writing up a Conan Without Conan campaign where Conan is nowhere to be found throughout the entire campaign ...

you could also do the opposite and put all the conans to good use and make a scenario with only conans - drug induced hallucinations or whatever
you might have to be a bit creative about the OL rules as he has only tiles for one of the conans, if I remember correctly.
However, given that would be a hallucination there are probably creative ways to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
paddirn wrote:
For some reason I feel like writing up a Conan Without Conan campaign where Conan is nowhere to be found throughout the entire campaign ...

you could also do the opposite and put all the conans to good use and make a scenario with only conans - drug induced hallucinations or whatever

Powder made from the infamous lotus flower! (The Conan comics are full of references to different colors of lotus power.) That's a scenario i'd play. IIRC there are 8 different Conans in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or even something similar to the Marvel comic What If? #16 What If Wolverine Battled Conan the Barbarian? and just say that Conans from across time & space were brought together to fight in some arena or fight some threat that only united Conans could defeat. I can't remember exactly how it was explained, but something with the Dark Phoenix and/or the Watcher was involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bored at work with nothing else to do until some other stuff comes in and I felt like deconstructing/recreating the scenario pages. I messed around and created a template file for making custom scenarios, though at the moment I've only re-created the 'Trapped Like Rats' scenario to get some positioning/formatting down. Looking at some of the other scenarios, there seem to be some differences here and there that I'll need to modify in my file.

The fonts are different: Crom seemed to match up with what was used for the title bar fairly closely and I couldn't figure out what was being used in the body copy or anything really close to it, so I went with Fogle Hunter for the body copy. It's a bit heavier and doesn't match well with the actual font when placed side-by-side, but hopefully matches the mood.

Below are screenshots of the recreations. Recreated using Adobe Illustrator. I'm guessing the originals were created in InDesign, but I prefer Illustrator for short things like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.