Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I missed it or is there a specific definition of "uncharted waters" in the rules? Specifically, is every empty hex "uncharted" or does every hex in a column lose its uncharted status once an Island is discovered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rees
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rule book:

If you end a sail action in an empty sea space west of the first four columns, draw the top uncharted waters card. If your ships end in different empty seas spaces, choose only one and draw a card for that ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gpmark wrote:
From the rule book:

If you end a sail action in an empty sea space west of the first four columns, draw the top uncharted waters card. If your ships end in different empty seas spaces, choose only one and draw a card for that ship.

Yes, but that's not what I was getting at. Once an Island is discovered, you can't find another one in the same column. Is there any point to continuing to draw cards for the rest of the hexes after finding the Island? Also, since spaces aren't marked, wouldn't you end up charting and re-charting the same blank hexes over and over again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wolf
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakkster wrote:
gpmark wrote:
From the rule book:

Yes, but that's not what I was getting at. Once an Island is discovered, you can't find another one in the same column. Is there any point to continuing to draw cards for the rest of the hexes after finding the Island? Also, since spaces aren't marked, wouldn't you end up charting and re-charting the same blank hexes over and over again?

Uncharted waters can have all sorts of things found in them. As long as the space is empty something could be found there. If something is added to the space it won't be empty any more, so nothing new to "re-chart."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note that you only draw for the space you *stop* in. If the space doesn't have anything marked in it, you'll draw a card, even if one was drawn previously for the space. I imagine that once and island is discovered in a space, there won't be a ton of incentive to stop elsewhere in that row (but I haven't seen enough to know for sure).

(Also, this thread's title should probably be marked "Spoilers" - I imagine that most players would recognize it as such, but it's best to be clear!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.