Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick story I wanted to share. Last evening, I attacked a lone Loyalist with 2 Continental and 3 Militia armies. The Loyalist whiffed, but had nowhere to retreat to.

I then rolled my 5 dice for the attack... All runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The stats nerd in me, if I'm doing my math correctly, informs you that your probability of rolling five "Runs" in that situation was .001 !

I.e., One out of a thousand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, no no no. 1.286 in a thousand. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The result just cracked me up. I just pictured the scenario afterward. A small army being attacked and vastly outnumbered 5-1 with nowhere to run mounts a feeble defense by saying "Boo!".

Then the attacking army gets spooked and runs for the hills.

The British ended up winning the game too, which seems appropriate after that fiasco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

The stats nerd in me, if I'm doing my math correctly, informs you that your probability of rolling five "Runs" in that situation was .001 !

I.e., One out of a thousand!

I get 1.3% chance of five runners for 3 militia/loyalist and 2 regular army units:

(0.5) * (0.5) * (0.5) * (0.333333) * (0.33333)

It's not 1775, but this reminds me, I swear my 1812 dice are loaded or cursed. Several times I have sent an American force to recapture Detroit only to roll 4-5 runners each and every freakin' time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really neat thing to see. The 1775 & 1812 games work perfectly this way. I've had battles in both games where the defender was badly outnumbered and stayed in battle to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

alexdrazen wrote:
I get 1.3% chance of five runners for 3 militia/loyalist and 2 regular army units:

Hmmm... are we using the same dice?

- A Continental "Runs" on one out of six sides (.1666)
- A Militia "Runs" on two out of six sides (.3333)

So the math would be (I believe):

(.1666)*(.1666)*(.3333)*(.3333)*(.3333)= .00102 = Probability of rolling 5x"Run" results out of 2xContinental and 3xMilitia dice is 1/1000[/b]

(I think I got that right. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a smart stats nerd!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

alexdrazen wrote:

Hmmm... are we using the same dice?

- A Continental "Runs" on one out of six sides (.1666)
- A Militia "Runs" on two out of six sides (.3333)

So the math would be (I believe):

(.1666)*(.1666)*(.3333)*(.3333)*(.3333)= .00102 = Probability of rolling 5x"Run" results out of 2xContinental and 3xMilitia dice is 1/1000[/b]

(I think I got that right. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a smart stats nerd!)

You're right. I really haven't played 1775 or 1812 in a while and I inadvertently calculated the hit probability for five dice, not the flee probability. And not even that, as I assigned the Regular Hit as the Irregular Flee, and vice-versa.

It sure seems like half my "irregular" units flee, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.