$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: New enemy placement in intervening card (along friendly line of fire) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my squad entered a card and automatically open fire against a unit two cards ahead (open fields in the middle). The unit being fired upon is not returning fire because a fire mission was succesfully called on that card (from a different position).

The squad triggers a PC marker, that calls for an enemy unit to be placed, unspotted, just in front of him.

1) what does the squad do? I don't think those guys will shift fire to the new enemy. On the other hand, I'm not sure they can fire through the new enemy to the second card (this shot was somewhat important because it granted crossfire to be added to the arty mission).

2) Always wondered what does the unit suffering artillery barrage do. Does it fire anyway (nowhere to), wasting ammo? Does it just freeze this turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!
The first question its a tricky one. I'll try my best, but maybe I'm wrong, who knows...
I see two possible answers:

1a- It's not a legal placement.
But Rules As Written seems to negate this affirmation (9.2.2).

----- OR -----

1b- Your squad doesn't fire through the new enemy. They don't Shif Fire, the PDF stay at the same direction; but the VOF of your squad go to the "Open Terrain" where the unspotted unit blocks your line of fire.
But Rules As Written seems to negate these affirmations (last paragraph of 9.3)

IMHO, I'll play it like 1b
Anyone willing to put some more light?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not at all sure that enemy units would block los.

I'll try to explain what I think:

1) you're not allowed to fire through your own units for safety reasons - unless overhead fire (6.4) is an option. This makes me think you're actually allowed to fire through enemy units, unconcerned about potential stray bullets.

2) I've only seen in the rules several cases where units would automatically shift fire (6.1). New enemy units appearing along line of fire is not one of them.

3) same as you, I think this is a legal placement. It wouldn't if along enemy pdfs, but no problem with friendly bullets.

Of course I'm not at all convinced by my own reasoning, just explaining it here so it may be refuted by most experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Cesar,

1) You are not allowed to fire through enemy units unless you use a machine gun with "grazing fire" (6.4 Section Machinegun)

2) Where in rule's 6.1 states that units would automatically shift fire? I don't see it.
And if I understood your question/example right, your squad doesn't shift fire. I'm pretty sure about this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) you make a great point. Also in 6.4, machineguns, grazing fire we find this well hidden rule: "[...] the vof is exerted into the closest enemy occupied card along the pdf and within los". I was looking for something like this but didn't think of looking here.

2) I just meant there are some cases where units would automatically shift fire, they're described in 6.1 (ordered to shift fire, an enemy unit enters its card). Maybe another bullet would be needed:
· An enemy unit appears or moves in an intervening card along the pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Cesar, don't wanna sound rude (you know it ), but I want to put these points clear: (maybe we are lost in translation)

NoMasOvejas wrote:
2) I just meant there are some cases where units would automatically shift fire
I don't recall any case in that your units would automatically shift fire. Once the PDF is created, doesn't move it's direction (unless you order it)

NoMasOvejas wrote:
they're described in 6.1
6.1 It's only the explanation of when the units open fire. I can't see where you read that units would automatically shift fire

NoMasOvejas wrote:
ordered to shift fire
If you order "shift fire", then it isn't automatic

NoMasOvejas wrote:
an enemy unit enters its card
When an enemy enter to your occupied card (or in reverse) both LOSE the PDF. This it isn't the same that "shift fire"

TL: DR
I don't recall any case in that your units would automatically shift fire without order or pyros

Maybe this can help you/others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.