Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: First Try... Is it too hard for me??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So its my first go full stop of Descent2 and it is solo thus using the Road-to-Legend app which will be my main 99% version of playing.

Tutorial campaign, first mission.
Disciple and Ranger(forget proper name)

Wow hard! The only reason the master etin didnt destroy me was managing to keep it stunned using the disciples mace.
Its first hit did about 10 instant damage to my ranger and KO'd her, from that point on I managed to keep it stunned until it was dead.
The flesh moulders didnt help but as they kept healing any damage I got on them, I ignored them and concentrated on the etin.

It was fantastic fun and really well designed, but I do think without stun I would have been mincemeat. Am I really such a bad first time player??

But I did win, and onto the next quest of the campaign....

INTERMISSION..... soft music and ice creams...

Okies so now I have done my first side quest...
Slaying a Dragon.. Ok yes thats kind-of a big order in theory but I thought as its the first tutorial-type campaign it would be easy-ish...
Woah hard!!
I did manage to complete it, but my Desciple was on his last legs and my Ranger was knocked out. I had no moral left so had to decide if to revive her or not and thought I was close enough on damage to try and get the dragon on my last hits and it worked, dragon gone.

But those constant flesh moulder reinforcements again arggh. Killing them seems a waste of time against a large monster as they just respawn, so I left them damaging me while I concentrated on the Dragon on gosh it hurts, especially with the dragon doing such harsh hits. Without the purchased armour following the first stage I would have been a gonner. Levelled up abilities helped a LOT too with the disciple praying for himself to give himself bonus dice.

It was fantastic fun, but I have to admit I am a little concerned about the difficulty level in what is technically the tutorial quest. Yes I beat it, but only just. In other campaigns/quests my heroes will still only have access to similar equipment/abilities so am I really good enough to handle this game full-on and invest in a load of content??????
I do like to buy into games in a big way so would like to buy a lot of stuff.. but am I simply not good enough at this game to then use it all??
Id appreciate thoughts please.

Thanks
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really excited for Road to Legend (cuz I own a ton of stuff for Descent: 2nd ed) but it's always near-impossibly difficult whenever I play it (and I'm pretty sure I'm not THAT bad at the game in general).
I played through the demo campaign and the first adventure of the full-size campaign and I got repeatedly stomped. The only quest I beat was the intro quest of the demo campaign.
It was enough to trun me off to the game entirely, so now I'm trying to offload my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
I was really excited for Road to Legend (cuz I own a ton of stuff for Descent: 2nd ed) but it's always near-impossibly difficult whenever I play it (and I'm pretty sure I'm not THAT bad at the game in general).
I played through the demo campaign and the first adventure of the full-size campaign and I got repeatedly stomped. The only quest I beat was the intro quest of the demo campaign.
It was enough to trun me off to the game entirely, so now I'm trying to offload my collection.

Thanks for the reply, much apreciated.

I dont mind difficulty in something solo as beating easy just reduced replayability, but I have found it hard and Im only on normal difficulty. Will need to try some more steps of the campaign to see how I go, but am still looking for peoples opinions.

Shame you are not in UK, I may have been interested in your collection offloading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
If you aren't used to the pacing that Road to Legend can throw at you, it can get overwhleming in a hurry. With experience you will get to know the game better. In a two-hero game, you may want to look into something other than a Disciple hero. It is less necessary when you have the option to recover damage.

Just a few ideas that might help you on the next play:

If you own only the core box then you will find Runemaster can perform beautifully and help out with numerous situations.

Necromancer's Reanimate minion provides an extra warm body for the monsters to attack, in addition to being a heavy hitter in its own right.

Thief is not to be underestimated. Being able to open a door without using an action (Sneaky, 1xp) is a significant advantage in the App where opening doors leads to monster spawns. Jain as thief is a pretty popular choice because of her heroic feat and the emergency damage reduction she can pull off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
If you aren't used to the pacing that Road to Legend can throw at you, it can get overwhleming in a hurry. With experience you will get to know the game better. In a two-hero game, you may want to look into something other than a Disciple hero. It is less necessary when you have the option to recover damage.

Just a few ideas that might help you on the next play:

If you own only the core box then you will find Runemaster can perform beautifully and help out with numerous situations.

Necromancer's Reanimate minion provides an extra warm body for the monsters to attack, in addition to being a heavy hitter in its own right.

Thief is not to be underestimated. Being able to open a door without using an action (Sneaky, 1xp) is a significant advantage in the App where opening doors leads to monster spawns. Jain as thief is a pretty popular choice because of her heroic feat and the emergency damage reduction she can pull off.

Thanks, some great ideas.
I went for Disciple to get some healing as well as some offensive, while the ranger gave me some ranged without being too squishy. The logic was there, just not necessarily workable lol
I imagined (without checking stats) Runemaster would be too squishy for a 2p game as a pure magic user
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you remember to give your heroes an extra attack Acton or a 2 hp heal every turn? Since you are playing with 2 heroes this small buff is needed for optimal balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Did you remember to give your heroes an extra attack Acton or a 2 hp heal every turn? Since you are playing with 2 heroes this small buff is needed for optimal balance.

Thanks but yes I did do this, every one was an extra attack because the Disciple supplied the healing. It was still really difficult though..

That Dragon... Activating twice each round, 29 health, 2 defence dice, only being able to actually hit it in melee by spending a surge, the flame breath hitting multiple heroes.... shockingly difficult.
And all that time, flesh moulders were spawning and attacking too.. (subject to group limit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Dragon is darn tough. I can't say I've beaten it either. My advise is to be aware of the game winning condition and don't waste actions not towards that goal. It is often not necessary to kill every monster on the map to win a quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
I play mainly solo and find to have a better successful rate with 4 heroes.

Some monster just doesn't scale with hero count, I so figured max party count is the optimal difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
A friend of mine and myself started playing Descent about 6 months ago (maybe a bit less).

At first we were pretty bad and lost some quests on normal (like the Dragon quest for example, it's not easy at first!). But as we learned the game (and added like 4 expansions during those months), it became really easy - almost too easy actually.

Today we play everything on hard, we didn't even bother trying the new Delve mode on normal. It's still easy actually. We played at first with 2 heroes with the extra attack rule, but it was really OP so we took that down and the game still wasn't hard enough. We tried 3 heroes, even easier than 2. We're going to try 4 now in hopes that it will be harder, but we'll see.

It's all about finding good synergies between classes, planning ahead (even 2-3 turns sometimes), knowing which items to buy, and having good pacing (don't go too slow, but make sure to pick up search tokens, which are especially important in adventures).
The search tokens is something that we feel is really important and I think most people underestimate. In our kindred fire campaigns (we finished it on hard 4 times), we always pick up all the search tokens we can, which in most missions mean all of them. That gives us a lot of money to get good equipment later on.

With all that said though, my friend and I are very min-max players and we take our time to make decisions in game so we play a bit slow. If that's your style then eventually you will learn the mechanics well enough to get to that level probably. If it's not, then don't worry about it! just have fun with the game and try crazy class combinations

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just completed part-3 f the tutorial campaign and won yay.

I did find this stage easier than the other two, though it wasnt "easy". The end battle had a lot of stuff going on but the equipment I had built up really helped. Once I cleared master gobins to be able to damage Splig and made sure nobody was close enough to soak his damage he went down pretty easy, it was only clearing out the others that took the time.

I really really enjoyed this campaign and was sad this was the last quest. I am now looking forward to the first full campaign, though not sure if to continue with these two characters I have got used to or if to try out some totally new ones

Really enjoyed this!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By all means, try new characters. It is the huge variation in different hero and class combinations that provide a huge amount of enjoyment in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
By all means, try new characters. It is the huge variation in different hero and class combinations that provide a huge amount of enjoyment in my opinion

Probably the mage-type and the dwarf fighter then
Or maybe the healer and necromancer....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
flag msg tools
from what you described sounds like you are stun locking the monster.

When you Stun (or get Stunned) you use one action to remove the stun, then you can perform your second action, or the monster in this case can perform his second action, hence attacking you.

And only the flesh moulder master can heal the dragon, so just kill him and go back to the dragon, don't waste time attacking the minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.