Subject: How many Foresters/Hollows/Factories etc? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is so obviously "it depends".

But in very general terms, how many of the resource-generating buildings should you think of building, and roughly when? And when should you prioritise building factories - and how many - over the raw producers?

Obviously once you have three resource generating buildings, a factory is usually better value than a fourth generator. And multiple factories are probably a good idea as you can employ citizens/merchants in them later in the game.

But I've never been very good at these sort of sums. Has anyone got a rough estimate of how many of each of the core buildings, and when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 2 FH + 1 H and 2 F. The more generators you build, the earlier you'll have space problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And tool problems. Let's not forget the tool problems.

I played on Sunday and built way too many of both generators and residences way too fast - I don't know whether the tool shortage or the space shortage hurt more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
And tool problems. Let's not forget the tool problems.

I played on Sunday and built way too many of both generators and residences way too fast - I don't know whether the tool shortage or the space shortage hurt more!

I've only played a two age game, and none of us really had too much of a tool shortage, although by the end of the second age we were starting to see where the possibility of it could happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tool shortage was affecting me pretty hard by the end of the second era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you build too quickly, and don't pick up a few tools (especially if you gat locked out of the Place that grants a couple of extras) then tools start to run out in Era II.

But that shortage becomes critical in Era III - which also coincides with a shift in the game's scope, which requires you to start building more citizens and to plan for merchants. No tools, no more building unto you can start generating reasonable numbers of tools in Era III. A building process which requires tools to kickstart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very definition of stupidity - making the same mistake AGAIN. This time I had cards in hand play at the Developer to generate more tools - but that didn't help, as players were using their extra stewards from the Envoy colony to camp out on the Developer space!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.