Subject: A la Carte? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Stumbled on this and the Marvel game by accident. Can't believe I never knew, looks amazing. I have a major concern though, first the rulebook is really pricey. Is it just a book? Does it come with any minis to play a game? Or do you have to buy literally every single little thing as extra purchases? What can one expect to pay just to get a single game running? I understand there is a lot of investment that goes into games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GamerM
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It IS just a book. It is gorgeous, but I agree it is pricey. I can't check at the moment but does knight models offer a PDF of the rules for free on their site? I want to say no but can't remember.

There is a 2 player box set coming out very shortly though involving the Suicide Squad team vs Joker's crew. It comes with a rule book, couple buildings for terrain, counters, markers etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis aren't cheap either. MSRP for many standard sized figures is about $20, which seems like a lot to me compared to other miniature games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
Stumbled on this and the Marvel game by accident. Can't believe I never knew, looks amazing. I have a major concern though, first the rulebook is really pricey. Is it just a book? Does it come with any minis to play a game? Or do you have to buy literally every single little thing as extra purchases? What can one expect to pay just to get a single game running? I understand there is a lot of investment that goes into games like this.

Don't know where to start? I'd recommend this:2-Player Game Box
It includeds everything needed to play!
Here's the rulebook: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmr77pu237bacj9/BMG%20rulebook%201...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
The minis aren't cheap either. MSRP for many standard sized figures is about $20, which seems like a lot to me compared to other miniature games.

They're cheeper than warhammer 40k miniatures. Miniature Market has them for a good price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a true skirmish game, so can be played with small numbers of models. I really enjoy playing 200 rep games, and often play with just Arkham City Batman and Robin.

The Suicide Squad game box is a really good value though. You get two full crews, a rulebook, scenery, dice and all the counters you need to play. There is a lot of game in that one box, and you could easily grow it with a few single pack free agents or henchmen for Joker. Suicide squad has different versions for a lot of their characters too so you could create different teams with a few buys. But to start out, it could easily keep you going for six months.

Charles
www.o2media.ca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My suggestion is to do research before buying anything and have a plan otherwise you buy a bunch of cool models and find out you still don't have enough to play a game.

the Knight models site has shows you the stat cards for the majority of the figures.

I just got my Suicide Squad box set last week and I am really happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I actually picked up the rulebook, figured that was the best place to start. I'm guessing that will give me a better idea on what to get moving forward.

I also ordered the X-men starter set, and Brotherhood of Mutants from the Marvel universe game. How similar are those two games? I enjoy painting so I figure even if the games aren't for me, the minis themselves look amazing from the pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Marvel game and Batman game are two different rule sets

Good news though the X-men starter comes with rules so you can play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only the first three Marvel starter sets come with printed rule books: X-Men, Avengers and Guardians. A PDF of the Marvel rulebook is available on the KM website however. They just released a DCU set based on the Batman v Superman movie which is purported to be the same system. The Batman game is an entirely differently rule set, which I consider to be the more complex of the two games.

For some help choosing which models you want to buy for Batman, I recommend playing around with the crew builder site to see which models will work together. I prefer playing 200 rep, but the official game size is 350. Any size from 150 rep upwards is certainly playable, and will provide you with different experiences.

http://hero-builder.net/batman.html

Charles
www.o2media.ca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I have never worked with metal miniatures like these. What is the best glue to use for assembly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Super glue. You'll likely want a two-part putty for filling in gaps, especially on the larger figures. With metal models that are multi-part the joins aren't always perfect. A hobby knife and some needle files will be helpful for cleaning up mold lines.

Charles
www.o2media.ca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
1374Phantom wrote:

So my X-Men starter set came today, no rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
1374Phantom wrote:

So my X-Men starter set came today, no rulebook

Here you go: http://knightmodels-store.com/WebRoot/Store19/Shops/afaa2a23...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Ya I actually have the PDF on my ipad already, so I knew that existed. Thank you though!

I do like having physical copies as well though.

On a side note, holy smoke is the Wolverine model going to be a pain in the butt. Already have to do some serious work on his claws, including reattaching a claw. They are so flimsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
Ya I actually have the PDF on my ipad already, so I knew that existed. Thank you though!

I do like having physical copies as well though.

On a side note, holy smoke is the Wolverine model going to be a pain in the butt. Already have to do some serious work on his claws, including reattaching a claw. They are so flimsy.

The x-men should have come with the rules. Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi02BeTJei0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Ya I know, but the blister insert was the same as all the others. I got the Dark Avengers and Brotherhood of Mutants too. I contacted Miniature Market, and I contacted Knight Models directly as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I've heard only the first three Marvel starters came with a printed rulebook. The Dark Avengers and Brotherhood sets do not, and the PDF rulebook is the official up to date one going forward.

They recently released an FAQ for Marvel and a full rulebook for DC, which had printable cards for a dozen of their existing DC models, as well as Spidey, daredevil, punisher and Green Goblin... so that was pretty cool.

Charles
www.o2media.ca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Noyes
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Here are a few pointers to help new comers:

1) to see what crews you want to build visit "herobuilder.net"

2) pop over to the ACL forum (arkham city limits) and chat to experienced gamers about things you'd like to know.

3) the Marvel universe game has now added a DC super heroes game to it and the Batman game has added the Spiderman game to it. These are fully compatible so that you have DC and Marvel in both games.

4) the Marvel game (MUMG/DCUMG) is very rules lite and is best played if you prefer arcade style play.

5) the Batman game (BMG/SMG) is a more intensive game than MUMG/DCUMG and provides a more absorbing experience.

Both games are great at what they do, and i play both. It depends on my mood at the time.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.