$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Steam Time» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Purge: # 1121 Steam Time: Zepplin through time; powered by steam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Steam Time was a game I wasn't expecting much from and it blew me away. This game is so much fun! The game is so simple at its core: place three workers and do the action on the spot. Yet, balancing the crystals, spending the crystals and scoring VP was a great balance.

The game looks very complicated; it plays simply; but is hard due to all the moving parts. Wonderful! I love how all the different actions all work together and tie together. There are a lot of different options you have on your turn and you need to plan things out (without over planning).

This game has a great balance of strategy and luck. This game surprised the room and I have to say we all loved it a lot. The worker placement gives you the feeling of wanting to do more than you can. With only 5 rounds in the game, you will run out of actions. That is for sure!

I love a game that is simple to play but gives you a lot of options/strategy. This is one that I feel people are overlooking. Give this one a shot or just run out and buy it! Great addition to your collection.

Keeper.

Components:

The bits in the box are nice. The "workers" are zeppelins and they are very thick. Everything is nice cardboard and very colorful. The colors are good, but they don't match perfectly. The crystals (orange?) don't always match what you think they look like (they look gold). The crystals are really nice and the holes in the board so they don't move is a nice touch. The game looks super confusing when you just look at it.

Rule Book:

The rules were a delight to me. The game looks super confusing when you first look at it and the rules are vague at times, but extra points for putting fluff in the book to keep the theme alive. This is one of those games you understand at first glance (place three workers and do the action), but all the little things (like bonus actions) make it a little more complicated.

Even trickier to know the best action to do.

Flow of the Game:

This is a worker placement game. Place a worker to the action.

The trick is there are "levels" and the next worker must always take an action higher than the previous one you played. This means you can't always do exactly as you want.

With that said, when you take an action you get a bonus depending how many crystals of that color you have. While you want to keep crystals to get the bonus, you also must spend these crystals to do some actions (mostly the ones that score you a lot of points).

The game is that easy. Now there are 6 possible actions (although each possible action has other actions that are like it on the board).

Worker placement with crystal collection to get a bonus when you take that action, but you use those crystals to get points/other actions.

Should I buy this game?:

This is a game that will surprise some people. You need to like worker placement and getting things to score points. There are a few ways to score points and there are a few things going on in your head at once to keep track of. I would said a medium game and/or a family game (with older kids). Otherwise, I recommend most to try this out.

Keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1120 Steam Time: Zepplin through time; powered by steam
Hey brother, thanks for sharing. I have never disliked a game that you recommend, literally. I have also been following this one for a while but never really got around to pull the trigger. I shall be getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Re: The Purge: # 1120 Steam Time: Zepplin through time; powered by steam
I prefer this to Istanbul. Lovely game that just flows...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
Hey brother, thanks for sharing. I have never disliked a game that you recommend, literally. I have also been following this one for a while but never really got around to pull the trigger. I shall be getting it.

I hope my record isn't broken with this one. Complete surprise to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toekneesee wrote:
I prefer this to Istanbul. Lovely game that just flows...

I'm partial to worker placement and I like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.