$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 66.67

4,677 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.5% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy» Forums » General

Subject: Standard play style? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After contemplating this purchase over the last several weeks, I finally broke down and ordered the Deluxe set this weekend. I have watched several videos now and am really curious, how do most people play? I see many suggesting storing the cards in their respective Codex binders, so that suggests to me that they play single colors (all 3 red heroes, or all 3 blue heroes).

But what about the Nuetral factions then? Does nobody play with those? Does anybody mixed match heroes of several Colors? Just curious how everyone plays? I personally would like to simply draw 3 random heroes per player and draft them, would that work? Any insight from seasoned players is appreciated. Thanks all!

Andy
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fordham
United Kingdom
Warwick
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
So far I only use the neutral factions for teaching games, which is still a fair proportion of my games. Beyond that Bashing is unlikely to get much use (it doesn't seem particularly interesting or strong) but I may end up rotating Finesse around in different folders if I find any good fits for it.

Mixing heroes together would really only make sense if I knew at least one and probably a few people with a Deluxe set, or if the mono decks got old or unbalanced which doesn't feel likely any time soon.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "real" game is 3 heroes, you get to pick which 3 heroes/specs

Beyond that, if playing casually, one might do something like draft heroes for fun/variety (should work fine), or just agree to do mono-colors for ease of setup, play, and storage.

A standard progression I've seen is people starting out with 1-hero VS 1-hero for a few games (especially wiht Neutral Starter), then move on to mono colors for a while, then eventually move onto the full customization mode from there.

The game is designed though so you can feel like you're playing the real game whether you mix and match specs or not. But for people who use only mono-colors the Neutral specs indeed won't get used except as maybe a teaching tool.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People who store their card in the respective color binder are people with a disorder. The same people who get crazy when Carcassonne tiles are not perfectly aligned.

Real players store them into a box and build their deck with the 3 heroes they want to play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubarack wrote:
So far I only use the neutral factions for teaching games, which is still a fair proportion of my games. Beyond that Bashing is unlikely to get much use (it doesn't seem particularly interesting or strong) but I may end up rotating Finesse around in different folders if I find any good fits for it.

Mixing heroes together would really only make sense if I knew at least one and probably a few people with a Deluxe set, or if the mono decks got old or unbalanced which doesn't feel likely any time soon.


Bashing is strong. Being able to -4 ATK on a unit/hero is huge and the ultimate spell is just crazy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
I went out and bought some card pages and stuck them into a small grey ring binder I had for the neutral heroes.

So far I have yet to play Codex against anyone comfortable enough with the cardset to try drafting their own hero team -- thus it has been entirely monocolors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies all! I would think that the heroes and their respective decks would be balanced enough to simply mix and match at random if You wanted, but I haven't played so that's a guess. Perhaps with random heroes, you may lack an answer to a specific strategy. I just worry that playing mono color might pigeon hole players into specific strategies, when playing casually. Again, I haven't played yet so, was just trying to get some thoughts from the vets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the print-n-play so I didn't have the option of using the official colour binders; but I always preferred the idea of storing one spec per page anyway. That's what I do: Finesse is one binder page (front side for spells and Tech I, back side for Tech II and III), Anarchy is one binder page, etc. I have two binders, one small one for one player's three specs, one big one for all the rest.

So for a basic teaching game I'll just give someone the Finesse page. For a standard RvG game I'll give them the Anarchy page, Blood page and Fire page in binder A, and move the green specs to the front of binder B. When playing with someone who's played a few times we'll negotiate who wants to play what (or roll a d20), and move the appropriate specs' pages into binder A or to the front of binder B.

As for what do we actually play the most: I've only had one play partner who's got familiar enough with the game to want to play customised spec combos. That journey went something like:

3 games of Bashing vs Finesse (then I bought RvG)
15 games of Red vs Green (then I bought WvP)
15 games of monocolour on monocolour from Red, Green, White or Purple (then he bought BvU)
20 games of monocolour on monocolour from all six colours
30 games of specifically chosen custom spec combinations
20 games of randomly chosen spec combinations using d20s
10 games of monocolour on monocolour again since I was missing it
Then sadly he moved to a different continent.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
People who store their card in the respective color binder are people with a disorder. The same people who get crazy when Carcassonne tiles are not perfectly aligned.

Real players store them into a box and build their deck with the 3 heroes they want to play.


If I knew all I ever wanted is mono-colored decks then storing in binder would make a lot of sense as it would cut down on setup time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
People who store their card in the respective color binder are people with a disorder. The same people who get crazy when Carcassonne tiles are not perfectly aligned.

Real players store them into a box and build their deck with the 3 heroes they want to play.


If I knew all I ever wanted is mono-colored decks then storing in binder would make a lot of sense as it would cut down on setup time.
Absolutely. Nobody trying out a game for the first time wants to be told "Okay, step 1 of setup: put these 72 cards into the corresponding slots..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks again all. My takeaway here is that it is likely best to store the cards in the binders, which is helpful for teaching, up until which point I and my play group become familiar enough with the heroes and factions to otherwise mix and match. Early on it doesn't seem like there will be any benefit to mixing and matching as you really won't get a feel for the synergies until you have more experience. Thanks again everyone!

Now if I can just get Ship Naked to ship the package... It's almost been a week since I paid for the Deluxe Set on the Sirlin website and it hasn't shipped yet...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
Thanks again all. My takeaway here is that it is likely best to store the cards in the binders, which is helpful for teaching, up until which point I and my play group become familiar enough with the heroes and factions to otherwise mix and match. Early on it doesn't seem like there will be any benefit to mixing and matching as you really won't get a feel for the synergies until you have more experience. Thanks again everyone!


I personally didn't play a single monocolor game. I went right away to try synergy between specs. Some are obvious, others are less.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jonathan,

Do you play with the rules for off color heroes. One more gold for an off color lol 0 spell and one more gold for the first tech building (or add-on)? I think for these rules alone it may be easier to teach mono-color early on. A little less to remember. I wish the Matt referenced those rules somewhere...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
Jonathan,

Do you play with the rules for off color heroes. One more gold for an off color lol 0 spell and one more gold for the first tech building (or add-on)? I think for these rules alone it may be easier to teach mono-color early on. A little less to remember. I wish the Matt referenced those rules somewhere...


Of course I do, that's the rules.

Codex rules are fairly easy compared to most boardgames I play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.