The Battle of Five Armies» Forums » Rules

Subject: using new units to remove damages? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gartch Gartch
msg tools
mb
Hello everybody,

I have a weird question, since it's about something I did not read in the rulebook

Now let me explain the story: I played a game with a friend, letting the game (and hence the rulebook) at his home to finish the game another day.

And the next day he told me he read in the rulebook it's possible to use new units (thourh direct mustering or recruitment tokens) to instead of placing new units, removing damages, 2 damages per units which are not placed.

I asked him where it was in the rules, he could not find the part of the rulebook where it was, but he still insist he read that in the rulebook.

Can someone please confirm I am right this rule does not exist (or infirm if I am wrongblush and tell me where it is in the rulebook)

Thank you for your help(and sorry for the probably silly questionblush)

Edit: my message was not clear due to my poor English languageblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule does not exist. Your friend may have misinterpreted the statement under Merging Armies on page 23.

And you can find a pdf of the rulebook at Ares website here:
http://www.aresgames.eu/games/war-of-the-ring-line/the-battl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gartch Gartch
msg tools
mb
Thank you for your answer,

I have the rulebook since I own the game, it's just my friend insisted on this rule existence despite me and him not being able to find in in the rule book

Well I will have to tell him to definetly go lighter on alchool

PS: I realize my first message was not clear, sorry English is not my mother language, it's not the rulebook my friend could not find, it's this rule which actually does not exist, so yes he could not find the rule in the rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this topic the rules have been cleared in a (non-existent) FAQ that it is possible to place new units above the max stacking limit of 5 and take casualties until you're back at 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kevin confirmed in the thread linked above that you can definitely merge 2 armies which exceed the stacking limit and then take casualties to reduce damage. In fact this is a really useful tactic and makes Goblins in particular more useful as cheap reinforcements to reduce damage on a more powerful army.

So the question is whether this rule also applies if you are able to muster/recruit into an army; can you then follow the same procedure? Which Kevin seems to endorse as logical, but isn't directly supported by the rules, hence why it should be included in an FAQ if/when it exists.

While the FAQ may not yet exist, such clarifications from Kevin are about as official as it gets so personally I'd be inclined to play the way he seems to endorse until there's a clarification otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And though it's not specifically in the rules, I think it's a sensible house rule. It fits in the spirit of the rules (such as merging armies) and makes thematic sense: if you're able to recruit a new unit, it could replace a shell shocked and demoralized unit you're sending away to get some rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.