9 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Deliberate Recruiting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex M
United States
flag msg tools
Anyone play around with the idea of each player manually choosing which action card to recruit? as in, your choice of all recruit action cards each recruit phase?

It would lend to some interesting strategies and combos that are intentional by player choice.

Has its weaknesses too as I know some action cards are just that superior to others in the stack.

But I'm curious of others' thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
The survey results from FFG were interesting as they revealed Han and Luke were the most popular recruits for the Rebels and Piett and Fett were the most popular for the Empire. All are very valuable leaders with useful action cards, so I can see the case for all of them.

The ability to pick a leader and action card is very powerful; what about trading off the respective action cards for the right to recruit a specific leader? I will say there are times I was dying for Boba Fett as the Empire since he more than makes up for his lack of tactics with the ability to perform and oppose spec ops and intel missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without that enforced decision making of which one of the two cards to choose, the most optimal path can always be taken. To me, the current rule forces players to change their game to try and achieve an optimal situation given the resources at hand.

Your rule change could reduce replayability in my view, but each to their own I guess
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wielicki
United States
California
flag msg tools
One interesting way to do it is to let your opponent choose the four recruit cards, but it is then up to each player to decide in what order they are recuited throughout the game. Foreknowledge of the smaller pool of cards allows for moves and countermoves. Granted, the same problem occurs with card strength, where the Imperial player will never allow One in a Million to be picked, and the Rebel player will never allow Ozzel's "move in the assignment phase" card to be picked.

Still, I feel like there's a workable idea in your suggestion somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that Rebel non starting leaders and action cards are generally more powerful this would be a strait buff to the rebels. And that's not even taking into account One In A Million
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'll take HAN TO RECRUIT CHEWIE EVERY SINGLE TIME for $500, Alex."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
The survey results from FFG were interesting as they revealed Han and Luke were the most popular recruits for the Rebels

Quote:
"I'll take HAN TO RECRUIT CHEWIE EVERY SINGLE TIME for $500, Alex."

Han with the recruit Chewie is THE best action card by far. SO much so that I will almost never choose HAN with the Falcon because I don't want to give up the opportunity to recruit a friend.

p.s
Also Chewie with the Falcon s a pretty good combo, probably better than Han anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
As elaborated, you would see Han recruiting Chewie turn 2 in a really high percentage of games. Personally I cannot see any scenario where this wouldn't be my move. Ambush, One in a Million and Undercover would be picks I grab very, very frequently.

Likewise on the Empire side of things Fett would be a very likely recruit together with Catch them by Suprise, Piett with either card and Yularen with Local Rumors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because certain cards are simply better in the early game or the late game I feel this would simply add less diversity to games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.