Subject: Donatello OP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
So, I've played through several of the mini campaigns so far. My group, and myself, all agree that Donatello is too over powered. In all my games the villain player has never managed to hit him more than once per game. I know it's bad die rolls, but he has so many defensive die faces and such a high defense stat. Plus he gets those awesome special ability cards and free focus. Has anyone else had this problem? We have had to nerf him in our games to a defense stat of 3 otherwise he just mops the floor with everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
He doesn't have a lot in the way of offense. How is he able to "mop the floor with everyone"? Why not tie Donnie up with a minion or two and focus the villain efforts on another hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
His twirling special ability is extremely powerful and very easy to set up with his shell/sword combo die faces and the sharing mechanic. It easily destroys waves of legions with relative ease. He's not the best against enemy leaders, but minions fall like rain around him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donnie is obnoxious to hit, but he hasn't been much of a threat. His spin attacktcan't be boosted, so it usually doesn't do too much damage. And his staff defense only works if you come to him--imo, Mike yes defense that deals damage back is far nastier.

Raph and Leo are the ones that obliterate minions like it's going out of style, but Raph is usually pretty easy to drop due to him being so aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
InkSplat wrote:
Donnie is obnoxious to hit, but he hasn't been much of a threat. His spin attacktcan't be boosted, so it usually doesn't do too much damage. And his staff defense only works if you come to him--imo, Mike yes defense that deals damage back is far nastier.

Raph and Leo are the ones that obliterate minions like it's going out of style, but Raph is usually pretty easy to drop due to him being so aggressive.

His spin attack says the power increases with each extra blade rolled doesn't it? Doesn't it mean it can be boosted?

My experience has been so, so different. In our games Leo and Raph go down easy, almost too easily really. But Donatello is just about invincible.

Am I playing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
Guard is the one power of Don's that could be a little over powered. Even though you only do a 3 dice hit with it, that can do a lot of damage to most minions who step up. It's especially powerful in the Mouser scenario. The easiest way to deal with it is to just not attack him in melee when he uses it. Just attack another hero. If not for the fact that it is only as powerful as the villain player lets it be, I would say it needs fixing.

I would say you aren't playing wrong. Leo and Raph are more about offense so it stands to reason that they will be KO'd more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astrobot7000 wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

His spin attack says the power increases with each extra blade rolled doesn't it? Doesn't it mean it can be boosted?

My experience has been so, so different. In our games Leo and Raph go down easy, almost too easily really. But Donatello is just about invincible.

Am I playing wrong?

I could be misremembering. I thought his spin attack didn't have the ability to spend extra katanas. Still though, it hasn't ever seemed broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hartman

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
I've found the game to be so heavily bent toward offense that his high defense stat is little more than a hindrance. If you give a focused effort you can take down anybody. I made a very well defended Donatello retreat from the fray in our session last night through a determined assault. Almost had that guy knocked out as per the objective in Book 1: Mission 2.

I'd suggest a change in strategy, perhaps. Though if he's dominating and your group thinks that ruins the fun, then nerfing seems quite reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Delthos wrote:
Guard is the one power of Don's that could be a little over powered. Even though you only do a 3 dice hit with it, that can do a lot of damage to most minions who step up. It's especially powerful in the Mouser scenario.

I wouldn't judge a character's effectiveness based on the Mousers. They work differently than literally every other villain in the game, and are intended to be a swarm of endless little dudes with no strategy, just numbers.

Delthos wrote:
The easiest way to deal with it is to just not attack him in melee when he uses it. Just attack another hero. If not for the fact that it is only as powerful as the villain player lets it be, I would say it needs fixing.

This. If Donnie is leaning hard on his powers, just ignore him and send your minions after one of his brothers. I don't think there are any scenarios where your goal is to down all four turtles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.