Subject: Dipping my Toes in - Many Questions About This Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Davis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
new user
Hey there, so i'm a big fan of X-Wing and have gotten pretty deep in it. Learned that this game uses the same basic system coupled with Star Trek and being a fan of TNG I was attracted. I'd like to dip my toes in this game but there are many questions I have about this it.

Note*
I'm trying to stick to only a few ships, probably the more iconic ones from the TNG time frame. I saw the list of things that have come out for this game and took a step back seeing $$$ dripping down the screen. Will likely stick to core set plus a handful of expansions if possible.

1: Is there an upgrade climb like there is in X-Wing? X-Wing has this problem where you have to buy almost everything just to get really important upgrades. Is that as much a problem here as it is in that game?

2: What would you recommend getting given the qualifiers I put in the note?

3: How different is this game from x-wing? the maneuvers are very similar but there seems to be less sharp turns and k-turns and more turret type weapons.

4: How many Factions are there? I plan on only sticking to the three in the core set, just curious if there are more.

Thanks for any information you give, I appreciate any knowledge you have on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brettdavis1991 wrote:
1: Is there an upgrade climb like there is in X-Wing? X-Wing has this problem where you have to buy almost everything just to get really important upgrades. Is that as much a problem here as it is in that game?

It is pretty significant, especially if you want to play in tournaments. Although I think at this point you could do fairly well, by "only" buying Federation. I say "only", because that is still a fair chunk of change: Federation is (as you might expect) the faction with the most releases.

brettdavis1991 wrote:
2: What would you recommend getting given the qualifiers I put in the note?

Voyager, Enterprise-E, Defiant for Federation. Valdore, Scimitar, and Apnex(?) for Romulans. Negh'var for the Klingons, plus, well, I'm not sure. (I haven't tracked which upgrades come with which ships as well for the Klingons.)

brettdavis1991 wrote:
3: How different is this game from x-wing? the maneuvers are very similar but there seems to be less sharp turns and k-turns and more turret type weapons.

Maneuvering is slower and (as you noticed) less maneuverable in general. I wouldn't say turret weapons are common, but they are definitely a factor.

The biggest difference I notice is the much greater number of upgrades per ship. And the upgrades can set up some pretty crazy combos; I find this very thematic, but some others find it distracting from the core game play.

Also, the attack/defense balance is much more tilted toward attack in STAW. You will rarely see an attack have no effect at all: expect to take some damage in every exchange.

brettdavis1991 wrote:
4: How many Factions are there? I plan on only sticking to the three in the core set, just curious if there are more.

13 factions with ships, plus the Q Continuum faction (which only has cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett, the biggest difference between this game and X-Wing are the MISSIONS! The scenario-based play is superbly thematic and its why I prefer STAW to X-Wing (and I am a former X-Wing Regionals champion).

Look at this thread to see a few reviews of the scenarios you can play in this game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1112810/complete-reviews-st...

Basically, you can play out any movie or tv series battle you ever watched! I LOVE that aspect of the game!

There are actual videos you can watch of all 56 of the scenarios in that thread linked in each of the reviews of the particular mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple things to add on to what others have said. I agree with the ships to buy above, though I would suggest the Praetus in place of the Apnex for the Romulans. It comes with Cloaked Mines which are arguably one of the best weapons in the game and definitely one of, if not the, best mine in the game.

The major differences between the game are just as you noted. Ships are capital class for the most part just scaled down to x-wing size models (the Galaxy class Enterprise-D's warp nacelle is about the size of a Corellian Corvette for example) so they are much more sluggish and less maneuverable. Smaller ships like the Peregrine Fighters are more in line with what you see in x-wing.

As was mentioned, the game swings combat way in favor of the attacker. So expect to take or deal at least a little damage every attack.

Shields are much more prevalent. Almost every ship as at least 2 or more shields with very few exceptions.

Cloaking is a bit different and more powerful in Attack Wing. You lose your shield completely when it is in use, but gain 4 extra defense dice.

Biggest difference in the rules for the games is with collisions. When you run into another ship in Attack wing, you still lose your action phase as in X-Wing, but you can still fire at the ship that you ran into as long as it is still in your firing arc. That is a major change from X-Wing where you cannot do that.

There is a massive around of upgrades and combos that are available for ships in the game a someone else mentioned. It is booth a good thing and a bad thing as it allows for tons of customization, but at the same time there are some powerful and broken combos and you need to buy several ships just for single cards here and there if you want to really be competitive.

If you are looking just for fun, casual play, I find Attack Wing much better as the variety of scenarios really make the game stand on its own. If you are looking for competitive OP play, you might be better off sticking with X-Wing ans it seems to be a much more balanced game more suited for tournament play.

If you're still reading, feel free to check out my video reviews of Attack Wing Ships. I have reviewed almost every ship that has come out for the game (every single retail ship, OP prize and special edition ship that has come out from the launch of the game up to and including Wave 24 and the Classic Movie OP series).

https://www.youtube.com/user/Trueflights/playlists?view=50&s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
I agree with the ships to buy above, though I would suggest the Praetus in place of the Apnex for the Romulans. It comes with Cloaked Mines which are arguably one of the best weapons in the game and definitely one of, if not the, best mine in the game.

I was trying to confine things to TNG-era, since that was the preference expressed. Otherwise I would replace Defiant with Enterprise (for the iconic, and effective, crew) and probably add the Gr'oth for the Klingons (although mostly to get Tribbles, which are dreadfully fun).

Personally, I would still rather have an Apnex than a Praetus: Cloaked Mines are best in groups, and the OP doesn't sound interested in buying multiple copies of ships at this point. The Apnex has a few fun tricks, and acts as a good support ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.