Hide
13 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Daviau interview and game length rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casual Tryhard
msg tools

This interview with Rob Daviau is a about a week old, but I haven't seen a thead about it elsewhere, so, here's the Seafall-relevant bit:

Quote:
So! How's Seafall doing?

Seafall is doing well. Some of the early reviews noted that the first few games were slow, especially with the prologue and game one. I kind of agree. Looking back, I think game one needed to have less prologue-esque elements so that the first two games weren’t quite so slow.

How's it doing compared to, for example, Pandemic Legacy?

Well, we didn't expect it to do as well as Pandemic because first of all, mathematically you can't have two #1 games on BoardGameGeek, and also it doesn't have the Pandemic brand attached to it.

Pandemic is kind of huge. There's like 3 new Pandemics at this show alone.

Exactly. Seafall is also more of a slow burn, longer term game. I intended for players to complete it over the space of a year, playing one game every few weeks, whereas Pandemic Legacy is meant to be binge played - maybe two sessions a night.

Like Netflix.

Like Netflix.

In general, I'm sorry to see him a little downbeat and rushing past mention of his new release when I'm really enjoying it (now) and am trying to cheerlead for it around the net a bit.

But I bolded the one line that really stuck out to me. Has he said before that he intended the game to take a year to complete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He did say that he recommended the game be played every 2-4 weeks (or something close to that), and with that spacing 15 games would take you 30-60 weeks. So he didn't use the word "year", but yeah.

There's one guy who mentioned his group is planning to keep to a ~1 month interval, which means a year and change to finish. My group original planned to do 2 games per month, but so far we're averaging closer to 1 per week, which will shave that down to four months or so.

Binge-playing groups could finish much sooner (a long weekend?!) ... but there's a concern that burnout might result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
We've been doing two games every weekend. And honestly each of us has gone through a patch of being sick of it, so maybe we should've taken it slower.

But right before the finish line I think all four of us have ended as fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Boone
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexprone wrote:
We've been doing two games every weekend. And honestly each of us has gone through a patch of being sick of it, so maybe we should've taken it slower.

But right before the finish line I think all four of us have ended as fans.

I have the same sentiments. We've been playing one or two games a week and we are getting very close to the end with one box remaining. Right now my whole group wants another copy to play through a second time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rogers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree as well. My group is down to one box and already talking about doing it again. We believe that it has much more replayability than Pandemic Legacy. That is even more true if it takes a year to play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We would have enjoyed the game more if we could skip the first playing and ONLY play it a second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
We would have enjoyed the game more if we could skip the first playing and ONLY play it a second time.

Can you clarify what you mean by that? Are you saying it's more fun to play when you already know what the reveals are going to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
Are you saying it's more fun to play when you already know what the reveals are going to be?

Yes, I think it would be. I feel like some of the reveals unfairly advantage or disadvantage players who made past decisions without knowing what was coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible to have sone kind of non-spoilery vague strategy advice to help players avoid that?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmb
Explore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Ages: 14+
Players: 3-5
Game Length: 90-120 minutes (1 year)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Would it be possible to have sone kind of non-spoilery vague strategy advice to help players avoid that?

Eco

I suspect he's referring to
(spoilers that are intended to be as vaguely-worded and non-spoilery as possible, but your mileage may vary)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
several events/rule changes/milestones/whatever that get added/unlocked/whatever and you find that things you've done in the past end up levying an unexpected penalty of some sort not previously indicated by the rules or other game materials. If you played a second time through, you'd be aware that those penalties will/might be assessed later, and could take that into account in your planning. I can see how opinions regarding this sort of surprise could vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
reshurc wrote:
Explore

If we're trying to be super succinct, after 6 games, I would say "complete milestones."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.