29.3% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The title line is my question.

The app says "add x bonus dice to your attack if you have suffered 3 or more damage." As it happens, I've suffered like 10, but I have zero in front of me right now because I recently discarded all my facedown damage to gain the "wounded" condition.

Do you interpret the app saying "if you have suffered X" to actually mean "if you have in front of you X" (and wounded doesn't count as damage in front of you)? Or should I read it literally, meaning a wounded investigator would get the bonus?

(Boy, for an ostensibly DM-less RPG, this one sure makes me long for a referee pretty often. Thank goodness for the geek community!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I don't think there is a specific ruling for this. I think whatever is decided at the table is fair.

Personally, I'd give the bonus because it feels correct. You're wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
FinalAttack wrote:
Personally, I'd give the bonus because it feels correct. You're wounded.

Thanks for the second opinion. I didn't give the bonus to myself on this one, but I kinda feel robbed. I'm thinking of interpreting wounded as damaged going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only look at the damage cards you have. Wounded does not count as having suffered damage. If you do allow that wording, then you will immediately become Eliminated after becoming Wounded as the rule for being eliminated refers to damage you have suffered.

On a mechanical viewpoint, the effect the bonus is there because you are close to being Wounded or Eliminated. It is much easier to manage damage cards while you have only suffered a small amount, so you have other benefits. By being Wounded and discarding your facedown damage, you also are safe from 'flip damage' effects, and you aren't meant to have that bonus while getting the bonuses for having suffered more too.

Having said all that, feel free to house rule, but the mechanics are designed so you would not add the bonus dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
That's very helpful, Clipper. I prefer to avoid house rules if I can help it, so I will play it that way after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Keating
msg tools
I had a similar issue. The game said the effect in question (can"t remember the specifics) applied to the investgator who had taken the most damage. Worst number of cards in play was 4 or 5 but some investigators were wounded and had taken more overall to get their condition card.

Played that for this purpose the woonded card counted as the value of the investigators health plus any cards in play. Just seemed more thematically appropriate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the incorrect way to play, though. Such effects are often balanced around hitting investigators that have cards that can be flipped. Flip effects are more potent when used against players that actually have cards to flip.

By allowing someone recently Wounded to be the one to resolve that event somewhat breaks the mechanics of the game, as they or more likely to get away with no issues from such tests, unlike those that aren't Wounded but have suffered a lot of damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.