7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens after using a Spell? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
...you flip it and resolve the after effects.

Than, do you retain the case OR swap it for another identical (front) spell card?

Ie, the next time you use the spell, the after effect is unpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kesavanss wrote:

Than, do you retain the case OR swap it for another identical (front) spell card?

The effect on the other side will tell you what to do. Usually you either flip the card back or you may be told to discard it. I don't believe there are any spells that tell you to exchange it for a new copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kesavanss wrote:

Once you cast the spell once, you flip it, see the back side, and thus know which version of the spell you have for any future reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Getting a new copy is how Mansions of Madness 2 handles it, i think.

In EH, magic is sort of a predictable science if you're not a dabbler (ie, use spells multiple times). I mean, you canwill still roll low and get burned, but you can expect how the burn will look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Getting a new copy is how Mansions of Madness 2 handles it, i think.
Same as Mansions of Madness 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignas Masilionis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw someone posted in house rule to discard and get a new one, thus making spell casting more unpredictable, so you would think before spamming some buff spell each turn just because you have high lore.
IMO it would make game a bit more harder and stretch it a bit because it still takes some time to reach/give/discard a card, and read the new one, cuz after a cast or two without changing card everyone knows what's going to happen so play goes a lot quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zazasLT wrote:
I saw someone posted in house rule to discard and get a new one, thus making spell casting more unpredictable, so you would think before spamming some buff spell each turn just because you have high lore.
IMO it would make game a bit more harder and stretch it a bit because it still takes some time to reach/give/discard a card, and read the new one, cuz after a cast or two without changing card everyone knows what's going to happen so play goes a lot quicker.

We tried this for 1 game, as it sounded very interesting, but stopped very quickly, as the time taken to search for a new card was unpopular. We still do this for Blessings/Curses, as it is much more rare.

In Mansions, we just give the spellcaster the whole deck (5 cars) for his spell, and after casting, he shuffles them and draws another.

You could possibly do this for EH; whenever you gain a spell, collect all copies of that spell and make a deck; this would prevent multiple copies of a spell being in play, which would probably increase difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.