Hide
11 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: [2-3p game] "Suicide spawning" trogs to reduce amount of units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hristo Gangov
msg tools
This feels very "gamey" and thematically bleh, but if it is the way it is, I'll accept it. The situation is:

- There is a trog war party, trog nest, trog nest, trog nest (3 retreats into unoccupied, uncontrolled region)
- Pilgrims decide to yolosuicide a single unit from an adjacent region.
- Lots of trogs spawn (min 4 max 12).
- Battle is horribly lost by the yolosuicide pilgrim at the end of the round and he is captured by the dummy trog player.
- Trogs retain "dummy/non-human player control" over region (no control token), but now rules state that a SINGLE trog nest is placed.

Effectively this reduces the previously insane trog resistance to a laughable amount for the price of 1 unit and 1 movement - and of course, a waste of time, since the battle will happen at the end of the round. Not a bad price all things considered, especially if the unit and movement are superfluous to what you'd like to accomplish in the current round.

I get the dummy player rules aren't perfect, but this "suicide 1 unit to reduce threat" just feels really gamey.

Am I correct to assume the above is how it will play out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds correct indeed. As a member of the demo team in Belgium and The Netherlands, I have seen a lot of games being played already (and played a lot myself of course) and so far this extreme situation is just a theory for me as it never happened that a region got so crowded with Trog tokens.

But yes, this is a possible way to get rid of a bunch of Trogs with one unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hristo Gangov
msg tools
It's happened to me. Not so many nests (I was exaggerating a little :-) ) but I had a region with two nests and a war party on Sunday. I actually didn't think about this to "clear it up" and it went uncontested until the end of the game... I think I got the idea from reading the forums here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T McC
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
This happened in a game we played as well, with three or four Trog tokens being built up. Personally, I like the option to go suicide and reduce them, as I don't much care for people being able to turtle up behind a wall of Trogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Also not a bad way to clear those pesky human's control tokens they put in Trog territories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clear them roaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Hm, this does make me think of another corner case.

Imagine there are multiple tokens, as before, and you send a single unit to activate them. One flips up, three Trogs are place. Another flips up, says two Trogs but only one in supply so only one is placed. The third flips up, no more Trogs so the lone unit is killed. Since there is no longer a battle, all Trogs go home and a new token is placed.

Is this how it would happen? That could be interesting in order to avoid a battle, albeit exceedingly rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Hm, this does make me think of another corner case.

Imagine there are multiple tokens, as before, and you send a single unit to activate them. One flips up, three Trogs are place. Another flips up, says two Trogs but only one in supply so only one is placed. The third flips up, no more Trogs so the lone unit is killed. Since there is no longer a battle, all Trogs go home and a new token is placed.

Is this how it would happen? That could be interesting in order to avoid a battle, albeit exceedingly rare.

If on a token you cannot place at least one Unit, you must lose a Unit. So, and I'm tired, if I'm reading this correctly, yes. Your pilgrim would be killed on the last token (as nothing is placed) and no battle would occur.

grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Thought so, but good to have confirmation. Go get some rest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hristo Gangov
msg tools
Thanks for the "partial spawn" rule clarification as well. I'm sure it will come up. The people I play with seem to like spamming meatshields between me and them when they play the "dummy player" trogs :-) .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh This also makes sense as a balencing mechanism, to get some Trogs back into their Reserve, so they can be a factor in more places again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.