Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
My FLGS (shoutout: Gameology in Montclair, CA) is going all in on Blood Bowl and got the launch kit leading up to the Nov 25th launch party. As part of the kit, they have two copies of the game and today they opened one to use for demo purposes. Knowing how excited I am for the game, they offered me the first chance to play it this evening. Obviously, I was in.

So here's my review

The Objective: Win, by any means possible. You knew this already.

The Rules: Are still basically the same rules you have been playing with for years. And I didn't waste time scouring the rulebook, anyway. I wanted to get my players on the pitch and roll some dice! I can tell you the rulebook was nice and thick, full color, and nicely laid out. And had tips for painting a couple of the minis in the back. But beyond that, don't ask me.

The Components: Love them. The dice are really solid, and have a good weight to them. The detail on the miniatures is excellent. And the templates look great. The numbers on the templates and the coins are raised significantly, making them easy to paint for even the most basic painter. Prime them, add a single layer of drybrush and they will look fantastic. My only minor complaint is the coins. They are very small and light. While you can use them for the coin toss, they are not very satisfying. If a premium replacement was offered, I would buy it in an instant.

There's really not a lot I can tell you about this game that you probably don't already know but one thing you should know. For the first time, the players aren't the only one who will be experiencing pain. Because now the coaches get hurt too. How, I hear you ask. When you try and place those super spiky plastic footballs in the hole on the base, you will know. Those little suckers hurt!

So it's the game you already know and love but the miniatures are bigger with more detail, and the components are beautiful (especially if you choose to paint them).

Verdict: Two sore thumbs up.

And for anyone interested...my favorite play of the game.

After a couple disastrous attempts to pick up the ball, it rested directly between my human lineman and two orks (blocker and lineman). Moving into the tackle zone of the two brutes, my lineman attempted to pick up the ball, but only a 6 would do. And a 6 was rolled on the first try! Successfully weaving away from the orks, my lineman got clear and ran straight toward the endzone, using two successful GFIs (risky I know but fun!) to stop just short of being able to score. And the crowd went wild. There's nothing quite like needing a six and getting a six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming these minis require assembly like other GW games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:

They do. They are in thee prices per model. The GW in ep has theirs out. I played on Sunday with them and they weren't glued. I think one head fell off during the game but they are almost pushfit it seems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
After a couple disastrous attempts to pick up the ball, it rested directly between my human lineman and two orks (blocker and lineman). Moving into the tackle zone of the two brutes, my lineman attempted to pick up the ball, but only a 6 would do. And a 6 was rolled on the first try! Successfully weaving away from the orks, my lineman got clear and ran straight toward the endzone, using two successful GFIs (risky I know but fun!) to stop just short of being able to score. And the crowd went wild. There's nothing quite like needing a six and getting a six.

Why only a 6? Handicapping yourself on purpose ? Agility of 3 = 4+, +1 modifier for picking up the ball, thus 3+, throw in -2 for two Tackle Zones and you end up with 5+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

They do. They are in thee prices per model. The GW in ep has theirs out. I played on Sunday with them and they weren't glued. I think one head fell off during the game but they are almost pushfit it seems

Are you getting a copy? I'm debating about it. Too bad we live on opposite sides of the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
My FLGS (shoutout: Gameology in Montclair, CA) is going all in on Blood Bowl and got the launch kit leading up to the Nov 25th launch party.

Monstore? My office is like 4 minutes away! I was wondering if they would be supporting Blood Bowl. Since I have never played, I would love to demo a game...might have to cruise down there on a lunch break!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Why only a 6? Handicapping yourself on purpose ? Agility of 3 = 4+, +1 modifier for picking up the ball, thus 3+, throw in -2 for two Tackle Zones and you end up with 5+.

I may have done the modifiers wrong but it was still a great moment in blood bowl!

Bohmoplata wrote:
Monstore? My office is like 4 minutes away! I was wondering if they would be supporting Blood Bowl. Since I have never played, I would love to demo a game...might have to cruise down there on a lunch break!

Montclair. If thats what you meant, come by Gameology sometime. It's a great store. Even Wil Wheaton agrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. That is what I mean! Gameology is also very close to my office. Ya, I just may need to poke me head in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
Lol. That is what I mean! Gameology is also very close to my office. Ya, I just may need to poke ome head in!

There is going to be a BB launch event on the 25th. I will be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

Amazing, how the mechanics fit to the theme ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
thor0298 wrote:
I think one head fell off during the game but they are almost pushfit it seems

I bet it was the human blitzer. One of mine was headless for the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be heading down there tomorrow to check it out and pre order the game.

Do you know if they will be starting a league?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darkson wrote:
I will be heading down there tomorrow to check it out and pre order the game.

Do you know if they will be starting a league?

Are you asking about Gameology? (Your tag says you are in South Carolina so not sure)

If so, I talked to one of the store employees and he said they are still unsure if there will be a blood bowl league, but preorders are strong in the store so chances are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in So Cal for a bit. I will hit up the folks at Gameology today when i pay for my pre order about a league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darkson wrote:
I'm in So Cal for a bit. I will hit up the folks at Gameology today when i pay for my pre order about a league.

Great! Maybe I will see you at the launch event then. I don't know if they will give you any more committed an answer today about a league, but the more people asking about it, the more likely they are to have one. I was also planning on posting on their facebook group to see how many there are interested, and see if I can get the ball bouncing.

While you are there, make sure to ogle the four board games signed by Wil Wheaton behind the counter. (One of the store employees paints miniatures for Tabletop)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoke to Kevin and he is going to be having a BB league at the shop. It's just a matter of who will be running it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmb
thor0298 wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

Back in the day GW minis were pre-assembled, weren't they? I remember having 2nd edition Blood Bowl way back when, and I think I remember it coming with 4 assembled teams. Or am I just senile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello, my baby; hello, my honey;
badge
Hello, my ragtime gal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
Back in the day GW minis were pre-assembled, weren't they? I remember having 2nd edition Blood Bowl way back when, and I think I remember it coming with 4 assembled teams. Or am I just senile?

They were one-piece minis (plus base), but just the two teams. The other plastic teams came with Dungeonbowl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darkson wrote:
Spoke to Kevin and he is going to be having a BB league at the shop. It's just a matter of who will be running it.

Popped in this evening on my way home and saw Kev. He said you came in and pre-ordered and thanked me. I volunteered to organize the league and he said yes. So this is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome I will keep my eye on here and the Gameology FB page to find out more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikomakhos
msg tools
Are there some changes that reduce the playing time?

Playing time has been reduced to "45 - 120 min" on the BBG entry. Living Rulebook was 120 min. Since the fact that the games took a little bit too long to play (two and a half hours with all the campaign stuff) was the major problem with running a league , I hope the playing time has really been shortened and the BBG entry is not wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nikomakhos wrote:
Are there some changes that reduce the playing time?

Playing time has been reduced to "45 - 120 min" on the BBG entry. Living Rulebook was 120 min. Since the fact that the games took a little bit too long to play (two and a half hours with all the campaign stuff) was the major problem with running a league , I hope the playing time has really been shortened and the BBG entry is not wrong?

No mechanical changes that would affect play time. It's still the same game. But a game takes 32 turns (16 for each player). If you're playing with time limits, 4 minutes is the most time you are allowed to take on a turn, which would bring it out to about 2 hours for the maximum amount of time of decision making. But for people who have been playing this hundreds of times in the last couple decades, taking a minute and a half on your turn would finish the game in about 45 minutes.

So really it's just a matter of player skill. The longer you've been playing, the faster you can complete your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb with a new game (pretty much any new game) is that your first several games will take double the max time advertised. In this case, plan on 4 hours unless there's a lot of turnovers - that'll be my estimate, anyway, getting started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:

Yes they are pressfit. Each fig is in three pieces. Pretty easy - all 24 figs took me an hour. No glue needed - but a good idea on a couple of figs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
thor0298 wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

You are correct. But they didn't look NEARLY as good as these do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.