Support:

Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
mb
Hey all,

While I've been using BGG for a while now but for our next game Cauldron Master I'm going to try and use BGG a lot more. Any tips on this side is very welcome.

I've created this thread to showcase the design behind Cauldron Master, not as a way to show off or market but mainly as a way for people to get involved with the mechanics, design, layout and style. But also to pen recent developments on the mechanics.

What is Cauldron Master?
Cauldron Master is intended as a lighter, filler version of it's bigger brother Lab Wars which we successfully funded in July. The core mechanic of blind revealing a character which collects resources while trying to deduce who your oponents will play is directly taken from it. The similarities stop there since Lab Wars is an engine building type game and Cauldron Master is a light set collection game. We're hoping to release it on Kickstarter in Spring next year.

Previous mechanic work
We thought we had the set collection side of things sorted, however, it turned out that it took up too much table space from the blind and local playtests we've been doing. Kuly Heer (my partner and co-designer) suggested a great thematic way of reducing table space which involved stacking cards (like before) but then scoring them and putting them away using a bonus "cauldron" card. This works really well now.

Now we just need to balance the scoring aspect of the set collections and cauldron cards and I think the game is practically finished!

We have a PnP version if anyone is interested which contains artwork from our artist's previous work which fits in nicely with the game. Below is some graphics from the game I hope you might fine interesting?

Current images

Our last playtest of the game using the updated rules

The newest sketch of the upcoming witch in the game Hecate - the greek goddess of Witchcraft.

The previous version of the game

Current graphic design of the cards and first witch for the game illustrated

looking forward to everyone's input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
mb
So I thought I'd let everyone know a little bit more about what's been going on!

Attached is the new foreground for the cover art of the game! Each witch is loosely based around mythical or real life "witches" that existed over the years. This is something we've tried to do with each of our games - make them fun first, but educational second.

We also had another playtest of Cauldron Master with Nothing To Declare designer Paul Spencer. We'd been speaking for a while online but it was the first time we'd met in real life. It was great hearing about his adventures delving into board game designs. I even got to play Nothing To Declare which was a really nice filler that needed a few more tweaks to get right.

Paul and his friend Tim didn't have much to say about Cauldron Master other than it was a great fun game to play that was intense and allowed a really good level of player interaction in terms of bluffing and trying to steal ingredient cards before other players did. We're definitely almost there with final rules.

Really excited to go to London's next board game convention Dragonmeet this Saturday! Will report more from after then!

Until then...speak soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.