BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Michelle Obama 'ape in heels' post causes outrage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And so, unsurprisingly, and exactly as happened with Brexit, the racists begin to break cover, feeling emboldened and protected by what they see as a validation of their views.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37985967

I'm sure there have been other examples, and equally sure it will not end here. I wonder what the ultimate outcome will be...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
And so, unsurprisingly, and exactly as happened with Brexit, the racists begin to break cover, feeling emboldened and protected by what they see as a validation of their views.

I'm sure there have been other examples, and equally sure it will not end here. I wonder what the ultimate outcome will be...?

Let me know when people get pissed off at people mocking Trumps appearance.
Just to be clear for the leftist outrage shit machine, NEITHER is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

Dude, NOBODY makes fun of Trump for looking white.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

Yeah, THAT is what I was talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

Onecomment is making fun of a person's spray tan. The other comment is racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

If you were talking about anything else, you weren't describing racism aimed at Trump. If you weren't describing racism aimed at Trump, how is it parallel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

If you were talking about anything else, you weren't describing racism aimed at Trump. If you weren't describing racism aimed at Trump, how is it parallel?

Are both wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?

How is it that you don't understand the difference between the colour of person's skin because of their ethnicity, and the colour of their skin as a consequence of their personal choice to paint themselves orange?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?

How is it that you don't understand the difference between the colour of person's skin because of their ethnicity, and the colour of their skin as a consequence of their personal choice to paint themselves orange?

How is it that YOU do not understand denigrating someone, and denigrating someone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?

Not equally. One is petty but largely harmless, the other reinforces a massive societal problem.

What is wrong is reacting to anything your team does by picking out any unrelated thing someone else does wrong. It's actually a pretty famous tactic used by the Soviets during negotiations to distract attention from their violations of treaties and international law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?

Not equally. One is petty but largely harmless, the other reinforces a massive societal problem.

What is wrong is reacting to anything your team does by picking out any unrelated thing someone else does wrong. It's actually a pretty famous tactic used by the Soviets during negotiations to distract attention from their violations of treaties and international law.

So mocking one person is ok because you believe it doesn't really hurt them. Mocking a different person is not ok because you believe the level of wrongness is higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?

At very different degrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?

No, I just think it is wrong to mock someone based on their appearance in any fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?

How is it that YOU do not understand denigrating someone, and denigrating someone else?

Can you elucidate, as your sentence makes little sense in English, as written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:

And are both wrong?

Can you elucidate, as your sentence makes little sense in English, as written?

Really?
TONS of people on here mock Trumps appearance and the leftist outrage machine says nothing.
Someone mocks Michelle Obamas appearance and you lose your minds.

YOu justify it with, well, it doesnt really matter against Trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:
No, I just think it is wrong to mock someone based on their appearance in any fashion.

Okay. I have no problem with you living by your own code. My own moral beliefs are different; I see superficiality as less bad than racism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Okay. I have no problem with you living by your own code. My own moral beliefs are different; I see superficiality as less bad than racism.

Ok, so you are just a giant hypocritical asshole.
That is fine.
At least you own it.
So I guess I can just call you asshole, since you think it is ok to mock appearances.
It is ok to mock fat people?
What about people with some sort of deformity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:

So now we have news stories about racist Facebook posts? From people in West Virginia?
Holy shit. When the fuck did stupid shit posted on social media become a news story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Making fun of Trumps orange skin and desperation hair is at the same level of making fun of Hillary's cankles. Using racist insults is an exponential level above that. Yes they are all bad, but racist insults are much more antisocial and damaging to society and reveal a much deeper disgusting side to someone.

I do wish people would lay off the Trump appearance insults though, it just makes the insulter look like a pompous ass and makes it harder to convince people that you legitimately have problems with Trump. Having said that, calling Michelle an ape is nowhere near comparable, that is hate speech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
10 yard penalty against Dashi and an automatic first down for false equivalency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schandl
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
I see superficiality as less bad than racism.

TheDashi wrote:
you think it is ok to mock appearances.

He says "less bad", you read "it is okay". Using that you call him an hypocrite and asshole.
Judging you by your own standards, what does that make you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools

Drag out the fainting couches some moron said something racist on Facebook. I don't understand all the Michelle Obama hate she seems very nice and she is very attractive so all of those charges that she is ugly are simply deranged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schandi wrote:
rinelk wrote:
I see superficiality as less bad than racism.

TheDashi wrote:
you think it is ok to mock appearances.

He says "less bad", you read "it is okay".
Judging you by your own standards, what does that make you?

Well, people do it. SO that means it is ok right?
And the leftists dont rage about it....soo.........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Ok, so you are just a giant hypocritical asshole.
That is fine.
At least you own it.
So I guess I can just call you asshole, since you think it is ok to mock appearances.
It is ok to mock fat people?
What about people with some sort of deformity?

I have a hypothesis--the reason you see hypocrisy is that you assume everyone uses the same categories you do. So, if I think some denigrating of appearances is less bad than other denigrating of appearances, that's pure opportunism.

But that's not what's happening. I simply don't agree that "denigrating appearance" is a valuable category which captures the most relevant information. I even think there are occasions on which mocking someone's appearance can be benevolent (and I have been mocked in just such a way, and am grateful for it. A friend once, gently, made fun of me for tucking my shirts all the way in. That was easy to change, and I prefer the way I look now, which is just what she seems to have intended). I don't know that it's ever the best option available, but it can still do some good.

So, that's the potentially valuable content portion of the post. This is the part where I point out that calling someone an asshole is generally a way of criticizing their character, not their appearance. But don't worry about it! I don't particularly mind being called an asshole (or housewife, as one of our resident trolls seems to enjoy doing). As for your other example, fat people are an interesting case because I think that can be done with the intent to motivate someone to be healthier, but A) that effect doesn't seem to come off and B) it's far more likely to be an excuse for being an asshole than a sincere desire to help. Deformities have the advantage that they are multifarious enough that any particular mocking likely doesn't have quite the collateral damage of racist mocking, but it has no virtue whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.