Subject: Rental advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanos Tok
msg tools
new user
Hello gamers.
First of all sorry for my english.

I am a passionate gamer and throughout the years i collected many games.

I have the idea of renting them.
I want some advice of how to do that
F.e. cost, offers, database etc.
Any idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThanosT wrote:
Hello gamers.
First of all sorry for my english.

I am a passionate gamer and throughout the years i collected many games.

I have the idea of renting them.
I want some advice of how to do that
F.e. cost, offers, database etc.
Any idea?

You would want to search the BGG forum DB for historical discussions on a few companies that have tried and never succeeded at this business model, but they were all basing their distribution model which required shipping via the postal service.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canadian Dave
United Kingdom
Harrow
Greater London
flag msg tools
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mb
My local game store in Utah for several years had a decent model. They would rent them out locally at 10% of the MSRP cost of the game for a few days or a week (can't remember time exactly). When you returned the game, you could use that towards purchase of the game or another game if you wished.

Another local store that did something similar would weigh the game prior to checkout and upon return, to see if there were changes in weight (missing components). If a game came in unreasonably damaged, that person would need to purchase the game at full price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanos Tok
msg tools
new user
Thanks for the reply Richard. I m thinking of doing it locally so I dont think that not succeed is an issue for me.. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanos Tok
msg tools
new user
Thank you Dave.. That was really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The FLGS where I just moved has a decent collection of rental games. $5 for 3 nights, which you can then later apply to a game purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Edwards
United States
Smyrna
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Coming in hot!
badge
Use the force....
mbmbmbmbmb
My local store does this. Roll the Dice in Murfreesboro, TN. Here is the link to their website: http://boardgamesmurfreesboro.com/

I don't know how much a rental is, but I do remember that the rental fee could be applied toward a purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
My local store has been doing it for over a year.

If you rent it and decided to buy, the rental comes off the sale price.

They seem to be happy with the program

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rent them out at $5 per week, regardless of title. If you do this, you will invite an incredible amount of wear and tear, along with plenty of missing pieces.

I've had rentals returned with boards ripped in half, all the bits missing, etc.

I once had a copy of Vasco Da Gama returned with a banana peel and chip bags inside. It also looked like it was dropped from a height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
I rent them out at $5 per week, regardless of title. If you do this, you will invite an incredible amount of wear and tear, along with plenty of missing pieces.

I've had rentals returned with boards ripped in half, all the bits missing, etc.

I once had a copy of Vasco Da Gama returned with a banana peel and chip bags inside. It also looked like it was dropped from a height.

Jeff - when damage occurs do you charge them for the game? How often do you find games trashed/destroyed? (percentage wise)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
JRietveld wrote:

Jeff - when damage occurs do you charge them for the game? How often do you find games trashed/destroyed? (percentage wise)

It's hard to catch most of the damage right away. A ripped board or soggy box isn't so bad, but missing pieces are quite tough to catch.

We don't usually charge, and I consider it just a cost of business. That means I basically make very little on rentals - it is more of a popular service we offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:

Someone trying to outdo Tom Vasel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanos Tok
msg tools
new user
Ohh this is bad.. I love my games actually and I dont want to sell them.. Iam doing it for extra money.. I want to design games in the future.. I m thinking of counting the comppnents everytime, at least in the first few weeks (it depends on how this works). Thanks again for all your answers and tell me what else can go wrong or what elae to consider.. (Again sorry for my english..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanos Tok
msg tools
new user
Guantanamo wrote:
My local store has been doing it for over a year.

If you rent it and decided to buy, the rental comes off the sale price.

They seem to be happy with the program

Do they have any facebook page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.facebook.com/gamesvilletabletop8/?fref=ts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.