1 , 2  Next »   | 

A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Does this game worth $85? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
This would be my second Rosenberg game, the first it's Agricola on the iPad , and I quite like it !

Now I live in China and I see that I can get the game at $85 shipping included ( would have the game tomorrow), is the game 85 bucks good ? Or should I wait for the reprin and maybe a bit lower price ?

Thanks !

Edit: solo player here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Guinea
msg tools
Yup! Worth it in my opinion!

It's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I payed 15k isk for mine ($132), and would say that it's worth it. There are boxes out there with more content but less play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this game is worth it, tonnes of replay ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angurvaki wrote:
I payed 15k isk for mine ($132), and would say that it's worth it. There are boxes out there with more content but less play.

I also paid 15 thousand isk, or $132. Coincidence!

Definitely worth it. Crazy amount of stuff in the box, and a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J & N
msg tools
mb
dgenclass wrote:
Edit: solo player here

I am not a big solo player myself, but this is one of the only two games I ever played solo more than once. To me it feels like a different challenge than Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Two ways to look at it:

Is there enough content in the box that the high price for the game makes sense?
- Yes. Tons of content, cardboard, plastic storage trays, wood components, boards of different shapes and sizes, three manuals.

Will I get enough play out of this game to pay that much.
- Depends on what you like in a game. I have played this 42 times in less than four weeks. Best money I ever spent on a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
Two ways to look at it:

Is there enough content in the box that the high price for the game makes sense?
- Yes. Tons of content, cardboard, plastic storage trays, wood components, boards of different shapes and sizes, three manuals.

- Depends on what you like in a game. I have played this 42 times in less than four weeks. Best money I ever spent on a game.

Curious what player count? I am on my third game with my wife (thus 2 player).

Not sure I am interested in doing a 3 or 4 player as the downtime might be too much for us.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
familygaming wrote:
Two ways to look at it:

Curious what player count? I am on my third game with my wife (thus 2 player).

Not sure I am interested in doing a 3 or 4 player as the downtime might be too much for us.

Thx
jonpfl

I've played 3 player once and it is a lot to manage. 2 player is great, and 1 player is one of the best solo experiences I've had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yeung lokyiu
China
flag msg tools
Where do you get the game? Thought zman not yet release the eng version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeungly wrote:
Where do you get the game? Thought zman not yet release the eng version.

English copies arrived in North America last month, and pretty much all the online retailers sold out through their pre-orders, or immediately after receiving the games. If you're lucky there are still copies to be found at random brick and mortar stores.

From what we've been told, there are supposedly more English copies from the first printing that still have not shipped to retailers, and a second printing will be coming as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played all player counts.
One Player is nice to have, but not what I normally want.
Two Player is good, but I had more fun with 3. 4 Player drags a little but I guess that will get better when everybody knows the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes. Do it. JOIN US!!!! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Olimpi
United States
Dacula
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the minority, but NO, it's not worth it. (I'm in the middle of trading my copy away). I mean, it's a lot of game for the price, but I was underwhelmed by the whole experience. The game is too long, the "tetris" puzzle really isn't that interesting, there is no player interaction, the occupation cards really don't narrow your focus down that much, luck is a bit too easily mitigated, and in short, it is a weird, clunky mishmash of mechanisms that really didn't work for me. Also, why is it Viking themed? It's just bland "goods conversion" (i.e. go here, flip this tile, no go there, flip that tile . . . yawn . . .)

Plays: I played a three player game that was painfully long and drawn out (three and a half hours!), and tried two solo games, but got a bit bored and aborted both (there was absolutely no tension and no point beyond "beating your own score").

And yes I realize this isn't going to be a popular opinion on this thread, but I wanted to present another point of view. No offense meant to people that love this game. I love me a few Rosenberg games too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
Hmm I thought the solo mode had some changes that make it more interesting than just the score thing , maybe I was wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff goggin
msg tools
BBB has some in stock for $59 US
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yoganoogie wrote:

Not sure what BBB is, but I do see it in stock at Cardhaus and Board Game Bliss now. They must have just gotten some in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yoganoogie wrote:

Whoa...awesome deal! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
With the shipping the price is almost the same that in my local store lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yoganoogie wrote:

really?!?! What is BBB? What site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board game bliss is what he meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:

...and it appears to be out of stock again at BGB. That didn't last very long.

Cardaus still has some at $80 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
Hmm I thought the solo mode had some changes that make it more interesting than just the score thing , maybe I was wrong

Solo had one big change -- you leave the last round's Vikings on the board and toggle colors each round. This means you block yourself and it becomes a bit of a puzzle to solve. I really like that (running a dummy AI is not needed in Odin).

But, the overall goal is a high score, yes.

I respectfully disagree very much about the theme not working with mechanics though. Aside from the tile puzzles, the theme and mechanic integration are very strong in my opinion, from gambling squares to feasting to occupations to resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
yatescory wrote:

...and it appears to be out of stock again at BGB. That didn't last very long.

Cardaus still has some at $80 though.

Yeah I though it was BGB and it says it's a pre-order so..... Well disappointment yet hopefully the next wave will come out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.