Snowblind: Race for the Pole» Forums » General

Subject: A very pleasant surprise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dorian B
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have the time to write an actual review but I still want to voice how this little game really managed to surprise us with it's competent design.

My wife and I had the chance to briefly meet Rob van Zyl (artist/ co-designer) at Essen 2014 where he had an early yet beautiful version of Snowblind on display at their booth. Since then we knew that this was a game that would stay on our radar long after.

Now that we have the final product in our hands we're happy to report: Snowblind is a winner - at least for us.

When you roll the dice in Snowblind after moving your brave explorers into unknown territory it really captures the desperation and despair of traversing the hellish landscape that is Antarctica. How far will you push your men to achieve the glory of being the first to reach the south pole? How will you ensure that the company receives much-need supplies? Should you spend precious time erecting a camp or will you push on and thus risk endangering your captain? Every turn presents new dilemmas that have been translated into the dice rolling in a very immersive way. Plus, there's the ever-present threat of player elimination: When your Captain/flag-bearer dies, you're out. It might seem harsh but since the game is so short it really isn't an issue.

The greatest achievement of Snowblind is how it takes simple (yet flexible) dice-rolling mechanisms and matches them effectively with a surprisingly strong theme.

After the equally great Ancient Terrible Things Pleasant Company Games are in the process of gaining a reputation of producing great thematic dice-/push-your-luck games. Their games are certainly not for everyone but those of you who like the pure joy of dice-rolling paired with risk/reward-management should definitely give Snowblind a serious chance.

(Note: From our impression Snowblind scales quite well between 2-4 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also very pleasantly surprised. It's a neat game that nearly always stays a tight race until the very end.

Also, it contains my favorite die ever:
The blank transparent green d6. We roll it all. the. time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Stover
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love me that blank D6.

I also think this is a great starter or filler game that has some depth and no 2 games are alike because of the dice and other players. There is some strategy in which die to pick so it is not all luck.

It is easy to teach and quick to play which is something that puts it far above many other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.