4 Posts

One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » Variants

Subject: One Night Ultimate Werewolf : Tournament Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DML GRCade
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Heres how we've been playing ONUW recently, just to get some feedback to see if you guys think its fun/a good idea or not.

10 rounds, with the first round worth 1pt for a win, and the final round worth 10pts for a win.

You start with a selection of the more basic roles, and shuffle them up, putting the two werewolves aside. You then take one out, place it in the 'deadzone' and then you reshuffle the remaining cards to deal one to each player and three in the middle.

Then, you play a standard game. At the end of the game, whichever card was put in the deadzone is removed and replaced with a new random card. The make up of the game shifts slightly, you take the two wolves and this new role aside and shuffle the rest and take one out to put a new card in the deadzone before re-shuffling the rest.

Play ten rounds and at the end the player with the most points is the winner. It allows you to see a number of different roles, and it tests how players cope with a shifting landscape. As the two wolves always stay in, it might be possible for Dream Wolf and Mystic Wolf to be involved at the same time, changing the dynamic of the game significantly.

Lemme know what you guys think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I'm not clear on a couple of points.

The card in the "deadzone" is visible, yes? i.e. people know which role has been excluded?

And what do you do when multiple people win, give them all the points, or share them out?

I've not worked things through, but my initial instinct is that giving out points like that distorts the game in a few subtle ways.

Firstly, people can cut multi-game deals. Two players could agree at the start to collude.

Secondly, you have more interest in avoiding the leader scoring points than other players. Maybe you want to kill them as a precaution, provided you know they're not the Tanner, for example?

Thirdly, when people have some kind of choice in their role, they might choose to maximise the points benefit to themselves in comparison with other players. The Witch would likely always take Tanner herself instead of giving it to another player, for example.

None of those necessarily break the game, but it might be very different from usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DML GRCade
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
People do not know what card has been excluded. So there is one extra card in every game to take into account. Only after the game is finished is the deadzone card revealed.

All players who win a game win the same number of points, so three players who all won would win 3pts each in Round 3 for instance.

If you can collude whilst still trying to work out how to actually score points, fair play to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I've not worked it through to check, but don't two players gain an advantage with your scoring system even if they do something as simple as agreeing they'll always kill one another if they're the Tanner and never otherwise, while covertly signalling to one another whether they're lying or telling the truth?

Even the first half of that might be enough to give them an edge, actually.

I'm not sure what effect it would have to secretly exclude one card from the game. Possibly an interesting twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.