Hide
9 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Competitive Multiplayer Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Davis
msg tools
Ok so, LOVE LOTR, and i love how this game has similar features to MTG. However, the game is just crazy hard, and it takes forever to set up. In other words, we never play it because it's just not accessible for us, and even when we work up the courage to play, we suck at it and lose all the time lol.

So i was wondering, is there a way to play the game like Magic? Where you just duke it out and reduce each others life? It seems way more accessible. Or perhaps there's a simpler variant against the PVE deck? just they have a life pool or something (simplify the setup and difficulty)?

Maybe this is something I'm going to have to make a reality for myself, but I thought I would ask first to save me the time investment if possible.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine there would be a competitive multiplayer variant, simply because FFG already produce at least two other major competitive multiplayer LCGs:

Android: Netrunner (2 player)
and
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) (2-4 player)

Maybe if cooperative isn't your thing, they may be more relevant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Davis
msg tools
It's just that I'm more of a LOTR geek than a card games in general geek. I loved MTG, but I stopped playing it for other reasons. If there was a LOTR MTG style game, I'd do that in a heart beat. This seems to be the closest thing. Maybe I can pull off my own variant and I can share it here or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
White Hall
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a competitive version.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/67/af...

It's not really PvP, but it adds a way to compete against someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's the theme you're looking for, the out-of-print CCG made by Decipher may be of interest to you. I don't think the design of player cards in this game lends itself well to a player-vs-player variant.

The Race Against The Shadow competitive version has the same defect as comparing scores in the official scoring system -- it makes the assumption that winning faster == winning better. It's also worthless if you lose, so if your objection to playing normally is that it's too hard, trying to compare the quality of your wins with someone else won't help at all. You'd be better off using a variant that makes things easier, such as the official "easy" mode or the variants that do only part of easy mode (e.g. an extra resource on each hero during setup).

If you wanted to have a variation in the semi co-op school, for multiple players it might be possible to devise a scoring system that credits individual players for how much they contribute to willpower/attack/defense, but devising a system that could both be quickly calculated and yet seeming appropriate would be very difficult, I think. I know of no one who has attempted it, and like the official scoring method, assuming that more powerful decks == better is an assumption that not all players may share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Sean from Cardboard of the Rings put together a merit-scoring system a few Gen-Cons ago. I tried it out and it was interesting.

Sean S
United States
Hugo
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seanshineyouth wrote:
Ok so, LOVE LOTR, and i love how this game has similar features to MTG. However, the game is just crazy hard, and it takes forever to set up. In other words, we never play it because it's just not accessible for us, and even when we work up the courage to play, we suck at it and lose all the time lol.

So i was wondering, is there a way to play the game like Magic? Where you just duke it out and reduce each others life? It seems way more accessible. Or perhaps there's a simpler variant against the PVE deck? just they have a life pool or something (simplify the setup and difficulty)?

Maybe this is something I'm going to have to make a reality for myself, but I thought I would ask first to save me the time investment if possible.

Thanks!

I don't think the construction of the cards lends itself to you goal of a MTG style LotR card game. I found the beauty of this Game and Game system is it was "us" against the "shadow". Us against the scenario in other words it matters on what our deck(s) are built like depending on how many of us there are. We played last might and 3 of us had "ents" in our decks. after getting thrashed in the first go I altered my deck to use a different set of allies, events etc. and others tweaked theirs as well. We did much better second time, though we were playing Saga and failed to get the Treasures. So sort of a "hollow" victory. We will tweak decks again and start the Hobbit "Saga" in Campaign mode and see how we do. I have my encounter decks setup and labeled in a separate card box and it doesn't take but about 5 minutes to get all the cards needed for a scenario, Just got to take the time after to put them away.
I don't think we should go the competitive route, this game was meant to be an "Us" versus the uncaring encounter deck.
Check out the Halls of Beorn: https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/ for tips on getting the most out of limited card pools.
You can try to make a PvP system out of the cards I don't see how it could work, And I don't think I'd personally be interested in that kind of game. This one makes friends as we share defeats and victories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would might be better served when looking a competitive game by getting a couple of challenge decks for Middle Earth CCG. (they are still available out there!) There are some interesting precursors in some of the mechanics to the LCG in that 50% of your cards are 'shadow' (sauron) and 50% good (free cities). You play your shadow cards against your opponent on their turn while they play their shadow cards on your turn. You set your characters on quests, travel, get jumped on, try to raid a dragon hoard or muster the support of beornings etc. The player with the most 'mustering' points (collected by their fellowship) wins. The quests in that game you designed in your deck - with your opponent trying to hamper you rather than with a separate encounter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmb
If you want a more accessible game of LotR I think you should try to make the game structure work for you as is. Build a strong pair of decks, leave them set up; get token trays that you can store your bits in; playing the same scenario repeatedly also cuts down on setup/teardown time as you can leave the encounter deck shuffled and ready to go. This might be one of my quickest games to get out and jump into, it's just deck reconstruction that takes some time.

To keep from getting stomped keep your cards with you while playing. If you find yourself wishing for something you didn't put any copies of in your deck and you're holding some junk cards you can just swap those out on the fly. Do this until you aren't getting beat down so easily. Your deck should improve pretty quickly. Pay attention to the tempo of the quest as well, since the quest card effects can dictate what works well in a deck as much as the encounter cards do.

Play on easy mode! Get some wins in before you let your ego go unprotected into what can feel like a 90 minute roast.

DO steal other people's ideas for decks too. I get thumped by quests very regularly, and using other players decks is my way to get a good foundation to begin tuning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.