Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I have noticed that the different character classes have different hand sizes of cards to take into a scenario.

Spellweaver - 8 cards
Scoundrel - 9 cards
Brute - 10 cards
Mindthief - 10 cards
Tinkerer - 12 cards
Cragheart - 11 cards

As far as I understand the rules this means that some classes will run out of cards much earlier than others?

Is this for balance issues to even out the power levels of the classes?

This may be considered a spoiler: will there be a way to increase the hand size of a class?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that your hand size is sort of your stamina. Thematically it makes sense that the Spellweaver has a smaller hand size than the Cragheart.

It could also be balancing since the Spellweaver is likely more of a glass cannon archetype than the tank.

Granted, I could be wrong. I have not read the current draft of the rules and when I did read a draft it was long ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
My understanding is that your hand size is sort of your stamina. Thematically it makes sense that the Spellweaver has a smaller hand size than the Cragheart.

It could also be balancing since the Spellweaver is likely more of a glass cannon archetype than the tank.

Granted, I could be wrong. I have not read the current draft of the rules and when I did read a draft it was long ago.

This is how I interpreted it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind that the Spellweaver has some limite means to retrieve lost cards.

Also, but I can't rely on memory on this topic, it may be that some classes have more cards than others that must be "lost after use" if you select their big shot half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The general idea is that the larger your hand size, the more actions you have that lose the card after use rather than discarding it. So while technically those with a larger hand size can last longer, if they aren't using they're powerful abilities and losing cards more frequently, they're going to be weaker than characters with a smaller hand size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
It's also my understanding that more tanky classes like the Brute have bigger hand sizes so they can lose cards to avoid damage more easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.