5 Posts

Quartermaster General: 1914» Forums » General

Subject: Curious why Moscow isn't difficult terrain... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
I was wondering why Moscow isn't shown as difficult terrain on the map. Balancing perhaps? Or is there some historical reason that I'm not aware of?

Because personally, I would have thought that throughout the modern period, Moscow (with its surroundings) repeatedly proved itself as one of the hardest terrains for some of the strongest armies of all time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but it covers a large area and the majority isn't nearly as tough as some of the other areas from a topo map perspective - just a judgement call. Remember, Napoleon walked right in.

Moscow became more precious over time as it became the most significant rail hub, and was more stoutly defended than other areas, for this and cultural reasons.

You could house rule that says in any turn that precedes a scoring round, Moscow is difficult terrain, to simulate winter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Owen
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
You could house rule that says in any turn that precedes a scoring round, Moscow is difficult terrain, to simulate winter!

Winter is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
Because personally, I would have thought that throughout the modern period, Moscow (with its surroundings) repeatedly proved itself as one of the hardest terrains for some of the strongest armies of all time...

In 1941 the Germans advanced against the city every day until they ran out of men in early December. There are some water features, but they also shield attackers. Stalin had virtually everyone digging anti-tank ditches in ranks, which suggests what went before wasn't much of an obstacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does? Stalin doesn't strike me as the type of individual who would say, "The terrain is not so favorable for an attacker, let's not bother to improve our defenses."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.